Life circumstances and deminishing MD becoming chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedsufferer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
uggh.... I feel so lame...

My transcript is ugly... no where near a 3.8 right now and if this continues than no med school with accept me!! This really suck and is getting me so down that I don't study like I used to. No matter how much I study and understand, I can't seem to improve to a good enough level...

On top of that life is just beating me down:

I'll be the head of the household since my dad decided to "just take a break" and is leaving us and moving to another country... And I am going to have to work just to support my family and I. And every time I look at my mom I just want to crawl up in a ball and want everything to just stop...I can't bear to look at her tired and ill face after working around 80 hours a week!! Plus the commuting is so tiresome...by the time i get home i just wanna hit the pillow...

It feels like everything is trying to get me off the med route and I am fighting so hard not to because I really want to be an MD.

Thanks for listening to me rant on and on... =)

I know I have to better balance my life with doing pre-med....but it's so hard alone...

Does anyone have an inspiring story or suggestion/advise or anything that will help me?

Members don't see this ad.

1st of all ur not alone, this is a great community where you will always find someone who has gone through much worse.

I definitely feel for you and realize how tough your situation is, but ill start off slow. You sound like things are piling up on you, which is normal, it's life, and even as a doctor, it will happen. How you deal with that stress, is what makes you get into medical school, and what makes or breaks you.

You dont HAVE to have a 3.8 GPA or 4.0 to get into med school, and you dont have to get a 45 MCAT. But you do have to have competitive scores, as in around a 3.5 gpa and 30 mcat. AND you do have to have a well rounded application showing you did clinical volunteer work, community work, and several leadership activities.

SUGGESTIONS:
1- Get with your pre-med advisor or call admissions at the school you really want to attend, and ask about volunteering and any opportunities available with organizations they are associated with or any that are typical with students accepted to that school. Dont reveal your situation unless they probe for it, because im sure theyve come across these circumstances before.

2- Seek on-campus housing. You can still support your family from campus, and give yourself more time to work by not making that commute.

3- YOU MUST make a study group with friends in your classes. This is a base requirement, especially for med students, which you havent even gotten to yet. They help keep you up to date with classroom material, and help your studying and review so much better than you on your own. Why do it by yourself, when you have people there to help, right?

PM me if you need anything else, I hope it does work out for you!