Army Life in the Army National Guard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThisisReality

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just looking for some wisdom and advice from people who work in the NG! I am currently an undergrad ROTC cadet hoping to contract GRFD and attend medical school through the NG AMEDD.

Just some general questions and you definitely don't have to stick to these!
Any advice or viewpoints are appreciated.

1. How has your experience been so far? How has it affected your family/life?
2. Best moment/Worst moment?
3. Did you or do you plan to renew your NG contract?
4. Why did you join? Why NG? Do you regret it?
5. Is there a big difference between NG and the Army Reserves?
6. How have people/coworkers perceived you b/c of the NG? Does it ever effect you negatively?

7. If you could tell yourself one piece of advice when you were younger - what would it be?

Thanks everyone! Hoping to hear some interesting responses :)

Ps. Could not find anything as closely relevant on the board about NG experiences in particular. Most NG questions deal with money. Tried the search! Sorry if this has been posted before.

Members don't see this ad.

- Generally positive. The units I've been with have been reasonable/understanding toward medical trainees. There are times when family/life get stressed because you are giving up a precious weekend to go to drill but noting unmanageable.

- Best: The convoy simulator at BOLC was pretty sweet. Also the camaraderie in the military is a unique experience that I really enjoy.
- Worst: Going to drill during the tougher months when all you want is a day off to do laundry, get outdoors, and get some sleep.

- Most likely.

- Always wanted to serve. Initially went Army NG because of ASR. Will likely stay NG because I really like the citizen/soldier model and the disaster response aspect. Sometimes consider the AF for the critical care air transport teams. If I went AD, Navy would be tempting because they tend to be stationed in more desirable locations.

- Guard can respond to local (US) disasters and be activated by the state, not true of the Reserve. Contrary what seems to be a frequent belief of the public, the Guard also deploys to combat zones just like the Reserve.
- Guard medicine generally entails being the medical provider for a specific combat unit, Reserve is more staffing a hospital providing care to a region.
- Reserve deployments have commonly been filling stateside for a military provider who was deployed. Guard deployments have tended to be to combat zones.

6. How have people/coworkers perceived you b/c of the NG? Does it ever effect you negatively?
- Honestly most people don't realize and quickly forget when I tell them which is fine with me. From my standpoint, the easier it is to forget the better I'm doing at making the commitment my problem and not my program's problem.

- Generally positive. The units I've been with have been reasonable/understanding toward medical trainees. There are times when family/life get stressed because you are giving up a precious weekend to go to drill but noting unmanageable.

- Best: The convoy simulator at BOLC was pretty sweet. Also the camaraderie in the military is a unique experience that I really enjoy.
- Worst: Going to drill during the tougher months when all you want is a day off to do laundry, get outdoors, and get some sleep.

- Most likely.

- Always wanted to serve. Initially went Army NG because of ASR. Will likely stay NG because I really like the citizen/soldier model and the disaster response aspect. Sometimes consider the AF for the critical care air transport teams. If I went AD, Navy would be tempting because they tend to be stationed in more desirable locations.

- Guard can respond to local (US) disasters and be activated by the state, not true of the Reserve. Contrary what seems to be a frequent belief of the public, the Guard also deploys to combat zones just like the Reserve.
- Guard medicine generally entails being the medical provider for a specific combat unit, Reserve is more staffing a hospital providing care to a region.
- Reserve deployments have commonly been filling stateside for a military provider who was deployed. Guard deployments have tended to be to combat zones.

- Honestly most people don't realize and quickly forget when I tell them which is fine with me. From my standpoint, the easier it is to forget the better I'm doing at making the commitment my problem and not my problem.

Thank you for responding! This gave me alot more insight into my potential future.

I didnt know about the differences between the AR and NG were that different. Im actually really happy I will be working more with the combat unit instead of a hospital, especially since that will probably be what I will be doing as a civilian.

Curious - what was that simulation convoy?

Posted using SDN Mobile

Thank you for responding! This gave me alot more insight into my potential future.

I didnt know about the differences between the AR and NG were that different. Im actually really happy I will be working more with the combat unit instead of a hospital, especially since that will probably be what I will be doing as a civilian.

Curious - what was that simulation convoy?

Posted using SDN Mobile

Basically they throw a bunch of vehicles into a warehouse, surround them with projector screens, and turn it into a convoy video game...