Life on an island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeTheGipper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at SGU, AUC, and Ross. I'm looking for some input about what it is like to live on either one of these three islands from anyone who is currently their or that has previously lived there. From what I've read thus far Dominca is pretty underdeveloped and that St. Martin is a much better place to live. I've honestly read nothing about Grenada yet. If I do end up going to one of these three schools my spouse will be joining me and I was wondering if anybody has been through school at one of these three schools with their significant other, and what life is like/would be like for the significant other?

Members don't see this ad.

Some things to consider:

Ross: Dominica is a dump. 'beaches' are mostly lava rock, and often dirty but the water is very nice once you venture out a bit. Snorkeling,diving is fantastics and the Cabrits Diving center can make this a good experience. I've lived all over the world and found the Dominicans IN GENERAL to be some of the most well, unlikeable people. The country has acquired too much technology without any discipline. Cell phones, cars, laptops are a constant want of the locals yet they don't even have a well established water system or power system. Your spouse can enjoy some of the natural beauty such as waterfalls, but overall will become quite bored. However, it provides a good study environment as there are not too many distractions. If your spouse is easy going and simple then with a little adjustment, life can be okay there.

AUC: Well, the standard of living is by far much better than Dominica. Especially with the food situation. However, it is a touristic trap and can be quite expensive. Your spouse will have to be careful and not fall into the 'spending doesn't count when you're on a vacation' attitude. Locals will want to sell you things constantly, but that's what happens on any touristic island. For you, the studying can be a little more difficult to dive into due to the many distractions of a beautiful caribbean island. As far as education, AUC is no better than Ross, Ross no better than AUC. AUC may have a slightly better run clinical department. AUC has its graduation ceremony back on the island whereas Ross has it in NYC.

SGU: Similar to AUC as far as living condtions. Let's be real here: the only reason SGU has a better reputation than the other carib. schools is because of the Grenada invasion. The media, as usual, ran that story for days and days thus bringing a lot of attention to the island. SGU does not have any better of an education program, but they have a significant better clinical system in the USA. Again, if Granada was never posted on the news, SGU wouldn't be so hyped up. However, what is fact is that SGU has better rotation spots and handles its affairs better in the USA. If you are one of those USMLE smashers, then either school will get you what you want. If you think you will be average, SGU will provide you with better options in the long run.

Thanks a lot blue...extremely informative and helpful. Really appreciate it.