Lifestyle: DPM vs. MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustMyLuck

SCPM 2009
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
SOME say that DPMs have an easier lifestyle than MDs/DOs; work fewer hours, take less call. But I have to wonder if this is really the case.

Does the lifestyle of a podiatrist working in private or group practice substantially differ from an MD/DO working in private/group practice? And if so, how? How about DPMs working in orthopedic groups vs MDs in orthopedic groups?

Members don't see this ad.

JustMyLuck said:
SOME say that DPMs have an easier lifestyle than MDs/DOs; work fewer hours, take less call. But I have to wonder if this is really the case.

Does the lifestyle of a podiatrist working in private or group practice substantially differ from an MD/DO working in private/group practice? And if so, how? How about DPMs working in orthopedic groups vs MDs in orthopedic groups?

I think that is the case for some of the older podiatrists and the women.

It is also one of the things they say at open houses (lies) to get people to want to be a podiatrist.

In reality - are the people who do not want to work the kind of people we should be trying to recruit into podiatry? I don't think so. I want hard working people who will try to improve the profession with me and jonwill and the rest of you.

krabmas said:
I think that is the case for some of the older podiatrists and the women.

It is also one of the things they say at open houses (lies) to get people to want to be a podiatrist.

In reality - are the people who do not want to work the kind of people we should be trying to recruit into podiatry? I don't think so. I want hard working people who will try to improve the profession with me and jonwill and the rest of you.

I think the jury is still out about you being a hard worker. We are going to need to see some references. By the way jon will has kinda been lazy lately, drinking his extra large sode and surfing the web.

Members don't see this ad :)
krabmas said:
I think that is the case for some of the older podiatrists and the women. It is also one of the things they say at open houses (lies) to get people to want to be a podiatrist.

Wait wait wait, for the older podiatrists and the women? Like the women don't have to work extra hard to continually prove they are competent? And the older podiatrists- would these be the ones telling me that it's easier to work part-time, if desired, than protecting the coveted position in the MD/DO arena? That's not true?

Agreed that I want hard-working collegues as well, but there has got to be a life balance- and what I've heard from so many podiatrists is that you get to go home at 5:30pm... or maybe 6:30... True?

footloose said:
Wait wait wait, for the older podiatrists and the women? Like the women don't have to work extra hard to continually prove they are competent? And the older podiatrists- would these be the ones telling me that it's easier to work part-time, if desired, than protecting the coveted position in the MD/DO arena? That's not true?

Agreed that I want hard-working collegues as well, but there has got to be a life balance- and what I've heard from so many podiatrists is that you get to go home at 5:30pm... or maybe 6:30... True?

For the record I am a woman. Most of the female pods that I have met went into this for the family life style. I know there are some that push themselves to be better then the rest but most that I have met are not those.

The women only have to work harder if they want to be compared to the men or high profile jobs....

I agree there needs to be a life balance but for the first 7 years... pod school and residency - for me this comes first (I do not have kids yet).

I think this used to be the case. But as podiatrists have increased their scope and capabilities over the years and are now recognized as physicians (admitting privileges, drugs, surgery, etc), this is becoming less and less true. This has especially become the case as podiatrists have moved from solo practice into multispecialty/ortho groups. Taking call, rounding on patients, and other such duties will pretty much ensure that your work week will be longer than 40 hours!!!

psionic_blast said:
I think the jury is still out about you being a hard worker. We are going to need to see some references. By the way jon will has kinda been lazy lately, drinking his extra large sode and surfing the web.

It's 52 ounces of freshness baby!

Originally Posted by krabmas
I think that is the case for some of the older podiatrists and the women. It is also one of the things they say at open houses (lies) to get people to want to be a podiatrist.

Hey everybody,

I agree with what your with what your selling, but the fact of the matter is that not everyone is going to push themselves the same. We might even call them "lazy" if you will. What also must be considered is that there are many levels in our profession that allow people to say be the top rear foot surgeon in the country or the best toenail clipper this side of the Missouri. Either way what we want to see happen and we we are going to see happen with the quality of our fellow podiatrists is night and day.