Likely about to be dismissed from medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If a DO fails M3 shelf tests 3 times but passes remediation offered by the DO Med School, and gets 5 to 7s on all Clinical Evaluations does the student stand a chance? COMLEX 1 passed. If school asks her to leave, what are the options? Can she pull through and get the DO and NOT apply for residency? Living at the edge of failure is challenging. How to have the conversation with the Dean? How do schools respond - I am floundering and I just want to make it to the end of this?
It depends upon what the school's written policies are. Suggest making another thread for your situation. Use the Confidential Consult if you desire anonymity, as I sense there is more going with your case than you're telling us.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I know this sounds crazy and off-topic, but I only ask because I'm assuming that you didn't appear this nervous in interviews (as you obviously got IN to med school). Does wearing a mask give you anxiety? I had a traumatic experience that I won't get into detail about, but when I was working 12+ hrs a day over the summer in a mask I actually had a hospitalized panic attack (never been hospitalized before). I changed some things and made it through working 8 hr days for a while and now I am in a work environment where I can wear a face shield and I am so much more relaxed. I spent 2020 in complete anxiety. I think a lot more people feel this way than you might think, for one reason or another. Also, you med dosage could be off (if you are on meds). Perhaps you can appeal to them by genuinely explaining what made you act so nervous and ask for a 2nd chance. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Really? You're going to tell me what I did or didn't do?

This may be surprising to some of you, but I have yet to hear an attending tell a student "yup, I failed you." It doesn't happen. For a school to give a student a grade of F in multiple rotations means that some very, very critical things were said by the attendings in question. Attendings are not stupid. The ones who think you're great but were nervous will say so. The ones who identify deficiencies will say so as well. These attendings (on more than one rotation) all said very critical things to the point that the student failed the rotation. Am I surprised they then said they didn't mean to fail him? Not. At. All.

My point remains. And the OP, at least in part, also believes this as he didn't ask the school to pass him. He asked the school for a conditional pass and redo even after speaking with the attendings.

Why wouldn't they own it? For the same reason that the only negative comment most attendings give is "student needs to read more" and they often pass every student that crosses their path.
We can all believe whatever we want, but the fact is that it is highly unlikely that the school chose to fail a student in multiple rotations because the attendings just said he was nervous. It's so unlikely that I would bet money it isn't true. I realize this is SDN and schools are often villianized here (and I've villianized certain schools too for shady things they've done), but something like this is so outside the norm and so bizarre that it just doesn't pass the logics test.

Rotation 1: student has good knowledge, but was so nervous and anxious.
School: FAIL!

Rotation 2: student was great, but has anxiety.
School: FAIL!

It just doesn't happen that way. More likely, the way it went down is that the attendings said very critical things about the student, possibly things caused by anxiety, but not solely and exclusively anxiety. Example: "student had such severe anxiety that he always ducked out of rounds and hid in the call room" or "student had such severe anxiety that he could not interview any patients" or "student had such severe anxiety that I cannot grade him on his exam skills because I couldn't observe them."

Those are the types of comments that would make a school want a student to remediate a rotation, not just that he was anxious.
Lol, Mass Effect is just beating around the bush in saying OP has a personality disorder.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
OP, you’re saying you have anxiety, possible ADHD? I don’t know (haven’t heard) of a single school or residency that wouldn’t give their students opportunity to seek help. Have you done this? And yes, if you have a personality disorder, you can get help for that as well.

Reactions: 1 user