Likely reapplicant, work/ec feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontradRN2MD

Reaction score
Hey all, i'm not too familiar with SDN. I am a non-trad RN->MD. I applied the current cycle and currently have 1 waitlist and rest are rejections. If any of you are willing, I'd appreciate some feedback on me EC/work Hobby area for next cycle.
Currently ones I have (active/completed)
1. 1 year PCT/CNA orthopedic/emergency: Paid/Clinical
2. 2 year Staff ER RN: Paid/Clinical
3. 2 year Travel RN (rural & urban exposure w/ various hospital lab equipment): Paid/clinical
4. (active) Free Clinic RN: Volunteer/Clinical
5. 100 hours of Undergrad volunteering (Habit for humanity/ clean-ups): Volunteering/non clinical
6. (Unsure to add) Server, 2 years: Paid/nonclinical
7. (active) Nonprofit Medical education article writing : Social justice (probably)
8. Foreign Language and Cultural studies (>6 years) Conversational/literature reading-able: Hobbies
9. Rock Climbing and Swimming (most of my life, noncompetitive): Hobbies
10. Studying abroad in Ireland for a (nursing-based) leadership class: Leadership/Other?

Not currently active/completed, but working towards

11. Shadowing (currently talking to a few doctor offices and hospital chains) (zero currently)
12. Research (attempting to get into one of those summer research programs or a Clinical research nurse job) (zero Currently)
13. Food Shelter (planning to start volunteering at the local shelter) (zero currently)

I feel like clinically and hobbies I have a strong basis. I really enjoy the medical education article writing volunteering. I currently feel like my main areas of I am lacking are shadowing and research. I also feel like my non-clinical volunteering may be lacking. I would really apprecaite some outside insight, if willing.
ORM, 512, 3.86~(I think)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, i'm not too familiar with SDN. I am a non-trad RN->MD. I applied the current cycle and currently have 1 waitlist and rest are rejections. If any of you are willing, I'd appreciate some feedback on me EC/work Hobby area for next cycle.
Currently ones I have (active/completed)
1. 1 year PCT/CNA orthopedic/emergency: Paid/Clinical
2. 2 year Staff ER RN: Paid/Clinical
3. 2 year Travel RN (rural & urban exposure w/ various hospital lab equipment): Paid/clinical
4. (active) Free Clinic RN: Volunteer/Clinical
5. 100 hours of Undergrad volunteering (Habit for humanity/ clean-ups): Volunteering/non clinical
6. (Unsure to add) Server, 2 years: Paid/nonclinical
7. (active) Nonprofit Medical education article writing : Social justice (probably)
8. Foreign Language and Cultural studies (>6 years) Conversational/literature reading-able: Hobbies
9. Rock Climbing and Swimming (most of my life, noncompetitive): Hobbies
10. Studying abroad in Ireland for a (nursing-based) leadership class: Leadership/Other?

Not currently active/completed, but working towards

11. Shadowing (currently talking to a few doctor offices and hospital chains) (zero currently)
12. Research (attempting to get into one of those summer research programs or a Clinical research nurse job) (zero Currently)
13. Food Shelter (planning to start volunteering at the local shelter) (zero currently)

I feel like clinically and hobbies I have a strong basis. I really enjoy the medical education article writing volunteering. I currently feel like my main areas of I am lacking are shadowing and research. I also feel like my non-clinical volunteering may be lacking. I would really apprecaite some outside insight, if willing.
ORM, 512, 3.86~(I think)
One way to search for others who have taken the same path: (and it takes a bit of time to learn the ropes on SDN)

- Go to the Search magnifying glass in the toolbar
- Enter RN to MD in the Keywords slot
- Click the "Search Titles Only" box

You will than see a list of others who have had the same questions.
If there is a discussion about this that you like, click "Watch" at the top of the discussion thread and you will see when someone adds to the thread.
Your history & experiences look pretty good and research is the one thing you can skimp on.

Be sure you know the timeline very well for applying, and try to line up your letters of recommendation from professors and mentors by May.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize, I am a GA resident. The school list I applied is
Albert Einstein
Augusta U
Boston U
Hofstra/northwell
Drexel
Duke
Emory
Geisel
Georgia Washington
Georgetown
Icahn
Indiana U
Kaiser
Mayo
NYU (long island/ not long island)
Perelman
Rush
Rutgers
SUNY
Brown
Tufts
Tulane
U of Colorado
U of Minnesota
U of Wash ( I have learned this mistake)
Virigina Commonwealth
Weill
West Virginia U

The interview was Tulane, my application is very service oriented with a goal of global medicine

The interview was Tulane, my application is very service oriented with a goal of global medicine
With 100 hours of non-clinical volunteering in undergrad I'm not really feeling the service orientation. Your metrics probably should have gotten you an interview at Augusta, so something is missing.

You also have a number of public OOS schools on your list that were not a good allocation of your resources. Places like Indiana, Minnesota, Washington, and West Virginia are unlikely to pay attention to a random GA applicant.

Forget research. Shadowing would be nice, but since you have worked in a ER it's arguably less important than for many other applicants. Beef up your non-clinical volunteering ASAP and apply to more mid/low-tier private schools, like Albany, MCW, Quinnipiac, SLU, NYMC, etc.

Reactions: 4 users
Some of the schools on your list ( UPenn, Cornell, Duke ) were unrealistic with a MCAT of 512 and West Virginia, U Washington, Minnesota, SUNY, Rutgers admit very few non residents with no connection to the state. If you end up reapplying I suggest these schools:
Tulane
Medical College Georgia
Mercer
Belmont
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU
Any new schools that open for 2025 (Alice Walton, Methodist, Roseman, American University)
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
ACOM
CUSOM
NOVA
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
AZCOM

Reactions: 2 users
Some of the schools on your list ( UPenn, Cornell, Duke ) were unrealistic with a MCAT of 512 and West Virginia, U Washington, Minnesota, SUNY, Rutgers admit very few non residents with no connection to the state. If you end up reapplying I suggest these schools:
Tulane
Medical College Georgia
Mercer
Belmont
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU
Any new schools that open for 2025 (Alice Walton, Methodist, Roseman, American University)
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
ACOM
CUSOM
NOVA
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
AZCOM
This is extremely helpful. I well definitely look into these schools for next cycle. Thank you!

With 100 hours of non-clinical volunteering in undergrad I'm not really feeling the service orientation. Your metrics probably should have gotten you an interview at Augusta, so something is missing.

You also have a number of public OOS schools on your list that were not a good allocation of your resources. Places like Indiana, Minnesota, Washington, and West Virginia are unlikely to pay attention to a random GA applicant.

Forget research. Shadowing would be nice, but since you have worked in a ER it's arguably less important than for many other applicants. Beef up your non-clinical volunteering ASAP and apply to more mid/low-tier private schools, like Albany, MCW, Quinnipiac, SLU, NYMC, etc.
I very much appreciate the recommendation. I applied to Indiana, due to doing a fair bit of nursing there. I will definitely try to prioritize my non-clinical volunteering over the next months. I had a feeling this area was a potential pitfall for me. Thank you for your help!

Why did you apply with zero hours of shadowing doctors? As an RN, I hope you were able to get some experience to inform your decision to become an MD before submitting an application. I admit having experience in an ER will help, but more variety would be desirable, especially if you are interested in global health. We will see what Tulane does.