limited NYC pharm schools...how come?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mystiqx

~M
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just thinking out loud, but i wonder how come there aren't that many pharm schools in NYC, there is just St. John's who only take right out of high school and LIU. I'm wondering how come Columbia University, New York University and Cornell just to name a few don't have pharm schools. I know Stony Brook University has a pharmacology program and a B.S pharm tech program but no pharm D. (sorry its 1:30 in the morning, and i can't sleep)

~M

Members don't see this ad.

mystiqx said:
just thinking out loud, but i wonder how come there aren't that many pharm schools in NYC, there is just St. John's who only take right out of high school and LIU. I'm wondering how come Columbia University, New York University and Cornell just to name a few don't have pharm schools. I know Stony Brook University has a pharmacology program and a B.S pharm tech program but no pharm D. (sorry its 1:30 in the morning, and i can't sleep)

~M

I totally hear you, I was hoping to go east as well- and Rutgers (PharmD program) in NJ was the closest I think I found to NYC. And I didn't feel like doing a reverse commute.
I still don't fully understand why- there are plenty of Duane Reades out there! Plenty o' hospitals too.... ??

You would think that some of the premier universities in NYC would have pharmacy programs, but i guess at this point, its alot of time, money and effort to start a whole new program in pharmacy. Also with 4 schools in the state im not sure we need another program.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's all about supply and demand. Personally, I think they need to keep the supply low, thus driving the salary up. ;)

goheel said:
it's all about supply and demand. Personally, I think they need to keep the supply low, thus driving the salary up. ;)

I personally think Cornell would be an ideal pharmacy school. But then again if they start adding schools, what would we have to worry about? :laugh:

Columbia used to, well sorta have a pharmacy program (more like an affiliation)...the closest there was to an "Ivy League" pharmacy program.

http://www.mailman.hs.columbia.edu/alumni/pharmacy/

The College of Pharmaceutical Sciences was founded as the College of Pharmacy of the City of New York by a group of apothecaries, physicians and wholesale drug merchants in 1829 for the education of apprentices; it was the second college of pharmacy to be organized in the United States. Instruction began in December 1829 and the first diploma was awarded in 1831.

The College had a checkered existence throughout its first fifty years. It moved frequently, suspended classes twice in the 1840s, and came close to foreclosure in 1857. The purchase of its first building in 1878, a former chapel on East 23rd Street, signaled the start of a more stable era.

In 1894, the College constructed a modern facility on West 68th Street near Columbus Avenue where it remained for the rest of its existence. In 1904, it entered into an affiliation agreement with Columbia College (Columbia University after 1912), which allowed it to retain its corporate and financial independence while issuing its degrees under Columbia's name. The College never became an integral unit of the University.

Graduate instruction began as early as 1897 and a four-year course leading to the B.S. was instituted in 1913, though shorter courses for alternate degrees remained available into the 1930s. In 1966, the institution's name was changed to the College of Pharmaceutical Sciences.

Though the post-World War II years brought relative prosperity and increased enrollment to the College, it was unable to find the funds to upgrade and expand its facilities and was placed on probation in 1967 by the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education. The College staved off further action until 1973 when the Council notified the College that it would lose its accreditation. Unable to find funding or a merger partner, the College graduated its last class in May, 1976.

Caverject said:
Why does NY need more than 4 pharmacy schools when Pennsylvania has 6, NJ with 1 and MA with 3?

Because there are none in Manhattan, whooptie doo if jersey, penn and MA have them

Because everyone in NYC gets their drugs from the guy in the alley. No prescription needed.

Teasin' ;)

There is a new pharmacy school opening next year, Fall 2006 at St Johns Fisher College ( Wegmans school of pharmacy) in Rochester, and that will make the total 5.

pillconuter said:
There is a new pharmacy school opening next year, Fall 2006 at St Johns Fisher College ( Wegmans school of pharmacy) in Rochester, and that will make the total 5.

cool I didn't know that.....its still not manhattan though, i would absolutely love to see one open at one of the manhattan schools