Limited Scheduling for a Dermatology Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermacat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm very interested in Dermatology, and I've been reading up on how to increase your chances of being matched. Granted I am only an incoming med student right now, but I enjoy the planning process and thinking ahead. However, I've run into what might be a problem...

I noticed that my school does not allow you to take anything other than Family med, Internal med, Pediatrics, OB/GYN, Surgery, or Psychiatry during third year. So this slashes out any chance of placing my Derm rotation in the second half of third year, as I've read one should do. Each of those 6 MS3 rotations are also 2 months long, together spanning from July to June, essentially covering the entirety of third year. This does, still, give ample time to complete my home Derm rotation before submitting ERAS, which I read should be done in early September of fourth year, but not enough time for meaningful Derm aways (we're allowed 3) or the letters of recommendation that could result from those aways.

Is this curriculum setup going to hurt my chances or put me at a disadvantage? And if so, are there additional programs you recommend I pursue during the winter breaks of my MS1/MS2 years to help increase my candidacy? Derm specific or otherwise? (my MS1/2 summers will be fully occupied because I'm a dual degree student with courses in the summer) Also, please let me know if I am completely misunderstanding or missing something here... It just doesn't seem right for a med school to limit the competitive advantages of their students by not allowing any flexibility during third year ... Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine. Third year isn't supposed to be flexible. You're supposed to learn core clinical medicine during that time. Other than some incidental cases on rotations, Derm is unfortunately not core.

If you do too many aways, you'll likely burn out and actually decrease your chances at those places. It's harder than you think to be 'on' for that long. It's very draining.

I'm not trying to be mean at all, but please don't obsess over things like this right now. Plan ahead, but enjoy now.

You're first goals are to learn material during first year and start focusing on step I during second year. This starts when you start med school. Enjoy your summer.

Thank you Dral for the advice! I've already begun the MBA courses for my dual degree, so while I'm enjoying the summer as best I can, I think being on the campus is likely pushing me to think ahead farther than I should be :) but I sincerely appreciate the advice! I just felt concerned when I started reading up on how to get matched to my top interest and most of the suggestions on the list aren't even a possibility to work into my schedule at my med school. Sounds like my school isn't the only one with such stringent restrictions on third year, so thank you for that reassurance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yah I'd like to see which schools have that time in third year and where you are getting that advice. I think I did my first Derm rotation April right when 4th year started. It was a two week private practice rotation. That is when I decided Derm. I did a month home and a month away, but did an MPH before I did those latter two.

Hi all. I'm very interested in Dermatology, and I've been reading up on how to increase your chances of being matched. Granted I am only an incoming med student right now, but I enjoy the planning process and thinking ahead. However, I've run into what might be a problem...

I noticed that my school does not allow you to take anything other than Family med, Internal med, Pediatrics, OB/GYN, Surgery, or Psychiatry during third year. So this slashes out any chance of placing my Derm rotation in the second half of third year, as I've read one should do. Each of those 6 MS3 rotations are also 2 months long, together spanning from July to June, essentially covering the entirety of third year. This does, still, give ample time to complete my home Derm rotation before submitting ERAS, which I read should be done in early September of fourth year, but not enough time for meaningful Derm aways (we're allowed 3) or the letters of recommendation that could result from those aways.

Is this curriculum setup going to hurt my chances or put me at a disadvantage? And if so, are there additional programs you recommend I pursue during the winter breaks of my MS1/MS2 years to help increase my candidacy? Derm specific or otherwise? (my MS1/2 summers will be fully occupied because I'm a dual degree student with courses in the summer) Also, please let me know if I am completely misunderstanding or missing something here... It just doesn't seem right for a med school to limit the competitive advantages of their students by not allowing any flexibility during third year ... Thoughts?

You should be fine. I also did my home Derm rotation during the first month of my 4th year and had no problems matching. I did, however, contact dermatologists at MGH and Brigham early in med school (1st year) and got started on research and review articles early. I like your idea of spending a 2 week period rotating at an outside institution during the your first or second year. We had one 2nd year med student from a "non-top 50" med school who rotated/observed at MGH and he developed connections that helped him down the road (including many residents and older med students interested in Derm who advised him).

But main point is don't worry too much about your 3rd year schedule. Just kill USMLE exams (>260 if possible) and get good grades and you will be well positioned.

Yah I'd like to see which schools have that time in third year and where you are getting that advice. I think I did my first Derm rotation April right when 4th year started. It was a two week private practice rotation. That is when I decided Derm. I did a month home and a month away, but did an MPH before I did those latter two.

It didn't mention which particular schools allow that flexibility during third year but if/when I come across the links again I will post them here or PM you if you're interested to read what the advice was online. It looks like the earliest I can take my home Derm rotation is July when 4th year begins for me. I was planning on doing a month at home and a month away, back to back. Is that too aggressive? I thought perhaps scheduling back to back would allow me to be more comfortable at the away rotation but I also agree with you that it may pose difficulty in staying 'on' for long without a break. Did you take time off in between med school for your MPH? If so, what made you decide to schedule it that way? Just curious! I did an M.S in biomedical sciences before medical school and will graduate with my MBA by the fall of MS2.

I did my two week rotation in April. That's when I decided Derm (on day one). Then I started the MPH in June/July. The following July (or June) is when I did my home rotation. I did my away in September a month or two later.

So my school starts 4th year early. So technically I took my MPH year in the middle of 4th year, if that makes sense.

I think you doing home and away back to back is fine. You could then even consider doing one in October or even finding an away 2 week to do in September or October.

Now go enjoy the 4th. I'm not allowed to because I'm studying for Boards.

You should be fine. I also did my home Derm rotation during the first month of my 4th year and had no problems matching. I did, however, contact dermatologists at MGH and Brigham early in med school (1st year) and got started on research and review articles early. I like your idea of spending a 2 week period rotating at an outside institution during the your first or second year. We had one 2nd year med student from a "non-top 50" med school who rotated/observed at MGH and he developed connections that helped him down the road (including many residents and older med students interested in Derm who advised him).

But main point is don't worry too much about your 3rd year schedule. Just kill USMLE exams (>260 if possible) and get good grades and you will be well positioned.

Thanks! I will definitely be looking further into MGH for the 2 week period idea for second year. Did this program or elective have a specific name that I can search? I've also been looking into writing up case reports and review articles. I created another post the other day asking for insight on how to seek out these opportunities. Do you simply email as many dermatologists whose research interests you and ask if they need help with anything? Thanks again for the encouragement and ideas

I did my two week rotation in April. That's when I decided Derm (on day one). Then I started the MPH in June/July. The following July (or June) is when I did my home rotation. I did my away in September a month or two later.

So my school starts 4th year early. So technically I took my MPH year in the middle of 4th year, if that makes sense.

I think you doing home and away back to back is fine. You could then even consider doing one in October or even finding an away 2 week to do in September or October.

Now go enjoy the 4th. I'm not allowed to because I'm studying for Boards.

Ah, I see. Thank you for explaining that for me, that sounds like a very good schedule. Thanks for the encouragement! I suppose I'll go enjoy the 4th :) Well wishes on Boards!