Limited Spots?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stargyalny

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking up on the internet and was reading that there will only be a limited number of spots for podiatrists, because people tend to stay in this until they retire? Does that mean I don't have job security? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

stargyalny said:
Looking up on the internet and was reading that there will only be a limited number of spots for podiatrists, because people tend to stay in this until they retire? Does that mean I don't have job security? :confused:

dude do proper research and don't rely on mere opinions...trust me...to answer your question/uncertainty...if you graduate from podiatry school and finish your 3 yrs of residency...you will not be jobless...i can guarantee u that...in fact u will most likely land a position that pays 6 figures...now you are probably reading this and thinking that this is contradicting what you hear or read on forums...here's one thing you must understand....podiatry as a field is evolving into a surgical specialty...in fact starting with the class of 2008 or 9, all residencies will be either 2 yr or 3 yr with surgery...so u come out equipped with surgical knowledge...and u should...because thats the direction of the profession...now...those who complain about the profession and tell u its limited and all that are usually older podiatrists with very weak if not 0 surgical training...simply because they r outdated...

my best advice is to actually contact current practicing DPMs...those just out of residency...even speak with residency directors....they'll give u the most accurate picture of the profession...at the end of the day...it is a great profession...very much on the rise...but its not for everyone...see if it fits u first before anything...

hope that helps...

good luck

I researched a lot about this and the podiatric physicians at the school talked about this. It seems like the podiatrists with 0-1 year residencies are the ones that are struggling.

Members don't see this ad :)
stargyalny said:

Im assuming you got that stat from the dept of labor website, its nearly word for word. If not, then the source you got it from most likely took it from the dept. of labor. Two things: One, that stat is old, its been there forever, Two, it was basically saying that the amount of pods leaving the profession = the amount entering, and as it stated, just as most professions currently are. However, I believe that the overall public knowledge of Podiatry is increasing exponentially and think that as time goes, more people will know our services and demand them, therefore creating a shortage of pods. Just my opinion.

gsrimport said:
I researched a lot about this and the podiatric physicians at the school talked about this. It seems like the podiatrists with 0-1 year residencies are the ones that are struggling.

well understandably so...those guys r lagging behind the advancements in this profession...on the other hand, talk to anyone with surgical training of 2-3 yrs and you'll see the difference...at the end of the day, its not just about financial security or satisfaction...but also professional satisfaction as well...and i think this profession provides plenty of that at the moment