Lineweavee Burk Intuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avicenna

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dont get lineweaverburk plots intuitively. I memorized them, i know what the mean, i know the meaning of each significant point and slope on the graph, but cant wrap my head around what it means, summarily. 1/V and 1/S, 1/Km and Km/V are all really foreign concepts to try to understand.
How would I fare on the MCAT simply knowing them rather than understanding the big picture

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that as long as you can recall what each type of inhibition does (increase, decrease, stay the same) for Km and Vmax, you should be fine. I would imagine that the questions would either give you a graph in a passage (say, for a drug interaction) or just ask you what happens to Km, Vmax, etc.

Last edited:
It's actually much easier to understand the small details by first getting a grasp of the bigger picture "intuition". I was like you when I first learned about Michaelis Menton kinetics in terms of not really knowing what was really going on, until I learned the bigger picture and was able to put everything together.

For example, the reason we use 1/Vo and 1/concentration of S in the lineweaver burke plot specifically is because it allows us to plot these values in a nice straight line that is easy to use and comprehend as opposed to the graph of a logarithm. By taking the inverse of all our values we are able to do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes as yeszus west said, it allows use to see what happens to at very high vmax, it s a better approximation of km and vmax because it allows us to go all the way down to zero, large vmax large km

remember the intercept with the x-axis (extrapolated to quadrant II) is at -1/Km. The negative sign makes it so that movement to the right means increase in Km as observed in competitive inhibition and mixed competition when the inhibitor has a higher affinity for the enzyme over the enzyme-substrate complex.

Reactions: 1 user
competitive inhibition= Km is increased

noncompetitive= Vmax is decreased

Explain how Vmax and Km can be obtained from a plot of V versus or a plot of 1/V versus 1/ (a Lineweaver-Burk plot).

o Km is the x-intercept (reciprocal) and the Vmax is the y-intercept (reciprocal) on a L-B plot. In competitive inhibition, the Vmax is unchanged but the Km is increased. In noncompetitive, the Vmax is decreased and the Km is unchanged. On the graph, competitive has a greater slope and a less negative (closer to 0) Km. Remember values are reciprocals (1/Vmax and-1/Km). L-B plots are more accurate

Tried to put my graphs on here but computer is being high maintenance right now

It's actually much easier to understand the small details by first getting a grasp of the bigger picture "intuition". I was like you when I first learned about Michaelis Menton kinetics in terms of not really knowing what was really going on, until I learned the bigger picture and was able to put everything together.

For example, the reason we use 1/Vo and 1/concentration of S in the lineweaver burke plot specifically is because it allows us to plot these values in a nice straight line that is easy to use and comprehend as opposed to the graph of a logarithm. By taking the inverse of all our values we are able to do that.

Quoting you to say that i love your avatar and username hahahahaha