Linguistic theories KA passage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basophilic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The researcher concludes that for older children, the Navajo language must be influencing their other cognitive processes. Which school of thought does this conclusion support?
Linguistic relativity
Linguistic determinism
Universalism
Social interactionism

Answer was B. I thought it would be A. My reasoning was that the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, which in general states that language determines thought, was another name for the linguistic relativity hypothesis. A quick Wikipedia search gave the following definitions of linguistic relativity and determinism:
Linguistic relativity = "the structure of a language affects the ways in which its respective speakers conceptualize their world"; also states that it's "popularly known as Sapir-Whorf hypothesis" as I'd thought
Linguistic determinism = "the idea that language and its structures limit and determine human knowledge or thought, as well as thought processes such as categorization, memory, and perception."

So I have a couple questions:
1. How do I distinguish between linguistic relativity and linguistic determinism?
2. Universalism is the notion that thought determines language (e.g. universal grammar); so would according to Wiki's definitions Linguistic determinism be the direct opposite of Universalism?
3. Which applies better to the question stem above? Cognitive processes is a broad term that can encompass both above definitions, no?

Members don't see this ad.