List Derm research on ERAS CV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meddienyc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently applying to PM&R. Early on during med school, I did some Derm research but didn't really get much out of it, just a poster presentation. Do you think it's a good idea to list that research on my CV. I'm not considering Derm, just PM&R and I'm afraid PD's will think I chose PMR as back up or something like that.

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely! Anything you do, or have done belongs on your CV. I did research at NIH as a med student in pediatric endocrinology! No publication, but also a poster. I had more questions about that than almost anything else during my interviews. 15 years later that is still on my CV!

Include it. Any research experience, publication or no publication, is worth mentioning, even if it’s not PM&R related. As long as the rest of your application doesn’t scream derm – i.e. 3 derm electives and no PM&R electives/letters – I wouldn’t worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anything that makes it look like you did more than just show up to class looks good on a CV.

What I hate seeing is people who do something just so it looks good on a CV.

When they ask you about it, tell 'em something like "The opportunity came up to work with a great researcher on an intersting clinical subject. I learned a great deal from it. But my true interest lies in PM&R."

I think a lot of people didn't go to med school knowing they were going to do PM&R (or even knew what PM&R was back then). How many med students end up doing the specialty they thought they were going to do when they first started school? Not me. You're allowed to explore other interests before landing on PM&R without having to hide them. As the other people said, just make sure your CV doesn't otherwise scream out "derm."