List of Counseling PhD Programs that Require a Master's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mickeymouse93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need a list of counseling psych PhD programs that either 1) require a master's or 2) will only take 3 years to complete if you have a master's.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be surprised if there was one that could be done in 3 years. I went in with an MA and all my classes transferred. Getting done in five years is the norm. They say people can do our program in four but I've never heard of someone doing it.

Oklahoma State is 3 plus internship, OU is 4 plus internship...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. Are those good programs?
Depends on what you are looking for. I think ppl get tied up in the sexy names and overlook really solid programs that aren't as well known. I'm super excited about going to OSU this fall... The faculty is awesome and the dept is very focused on social justice issues. Plus I got full credit for my Masters :)

Depends on what you are looking for. I think ppl get tied up in the sexy names and overlook really solid programs that aren't as well known. I'm super excited about going to OSU this fall... The faculty is awesome and the dept is very focused on social justice issues. Plus I got full credit for my Masters :)
That's awesome! Please keep me updated on how the program turns out. When you got your masters, did you obtain licensure or complete a thesis? Or neither? How much research did you do during your masters?

I would highly recommend checking out the Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology. The listings of Counseling Psychology programs will tell you what percentage of students they accept who hold masters degrees. The Insider's Guide should also have data about the programs' average time to completion.
http://www.amazon.com/Insiders-Grad...d_sim_b_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0KYMR7ZKK8YXQJ7T57N6

Additionally, while targeting programs that view masters degrees favorably is a good plan, you will also want to make sure the program is a good fit in terms of research interests/theoretical orientation.

Reactions: 1 user
From when I was applying, I remember memphis (3+1), loyola chicago, and cleveland state requiring masters degrees

I would highly recommend checking out the Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology. The listings of Counseling Psychology programs will tell you what percentage of students they accept who hold masters degrees. The Insider's Guide should also have data about the programs' average time to completion.
http://www.amazon.com/Insiders-Grad...d_sim_b_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0KYMR7ZKK8YXQJ7T57N6

Additionally, while targeting programs that view masters degrees favorably is a good plan, you will also want to make sure the program is a good fit in terms of research interests/theoretical orientation.
Should I wait and buy it for the year I am applying? Or will the 2013 version still be relevant in 2-3 years?

Should I wait and buy it for the year I am applying? Or will the 2013 version still be relevant in 2-3 years?
It won't be irrelevant but obviously it won't be as up-to-date. Can you check to see if your library has a copy you could look at for now to develop a preliminary list of programs that fit your needs? Otherwise, I might suggest getting a copy of the edition that was just released. There is a lot of very helpful information in the book, beyond just the program data, that might be helpful as you consider PhD programs.

I have no idea about how long the program takes to complete, but I seem to remember that University of Georgia requires a master's to apply.

Radford has a counseling PsyD that requires a master's. I think it's 3+1.

How good is Radford's PsyD program?would like to know!:)

University of Denver's counseling psych program can be done in 3+1 if you come in with a master's, but 4+1 is the recommended timeframe.

Thanks WisNeuro.
There are exactly 5 counselling psych PsyD programs accredited by APA.Its so disheartening to see the number and further not know the quality of education they offer :(

Is it the norm in Counseling Psych PhD programs to prefer applicants with a Master's? I'm an undergrad and plan on applying into this field, but I'm thinking of just getting a Master's first if that is the case..

I would focus less on the 3 year timeline and more on ensuring you get a quality bit of training keeping in mind that plenty of times people start programs and then slow down by a year for various reasons. Most places don't 'require' a masters although they either accept them or encourage applicants with them because of what they represent (stereotyped as a seriousness and certainty about their training intentions)

Is it the norm in Counseling Psych PhD programs to prefer applicants with a Master's? I'm an undergrad and plan on applying into this field, but I'm thinking of just getting a Master's first if that is the case..

I believe it's more common with counseling psych vs. clinical psych to require or prefer a masters, but I don't know if it's actually the norm. I'd be surprised if there weren't a good number of counseling psych programs that allow applications from students without a masters.

And I agree with Justanothergrad--focus less on the timeline and more on ensuring you receive adequate and high-quality training. Remember that even if you attend a 3+1 program, when you apply for internship, you'll be competing against folks who've been in grad school an average of 4-5 years. While APPIC allows you to report experiences from a masters program, these are listed separately from those accrued in doctoral training. Anecdotally, such experiences are still reviewed by internship selection committees, but are given much less weight than doctoral training data.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Similar but not exactly what they said. I would honestly focus on funding. It's not like you're going to read these and think "oh man, I SHOULD be looking for programs that prepare me well." Probably time to complete is for you a proxy for not having the money to fund yourself or not wanting to be drawing more loans etc. So find a program that funds you well enough to sustain yourself instead of years req

Northeastern University's Counseling Psychology program requires a masters. It's 4 years long I believe.