List of online MPH programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you are a veterinarian, Iowa State University and the University of Iowa jointly offer an online MPH:

http://www.public-health.uiowa.edu/mph/about/professional_programs/mph_vets.html

From their website:

Prerequisites

• Degree in Veterinary Medicine from an accredited U.S. college of veterinary medicine.
  • The GRE is an overall requirement for the MPH degree, but for practitioners seeking admission to the program, special permission for waivers of the GRE will be sought by the College of Public Health.
MPH Program Courses

Students will participate in two 2-week summer institutes, one on each campus in consecutive summers, with the remainder of courses available entirely via the internet-evenings, weekends, whenever fits your schedule. Students will have set courses each semester and deadlines to meet within the semester, but are not attending the class live over the internet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 80% done with an non-accredited online MPH program at a U that advertises itself as being for working adults. The program has been pretty intensive and has delivered everything I wanted and then some in terms of practical use.

Then up jumps the devil. Halfway through, they instruct one to begin looking for a practicum, a six month, 14 credit experience. I have no one who meets their standards to supervise me in a 180 mile radius. So I found an op to be the TA and class development assistant of a new MPH track course out of another U's online program. It's taken quite a bit of work even to get the details of that role worked out. My application was flatly denied.

As far as I'm concerned, my university has engaged in false advertising. I can document years of experience and success in PH work; it's not like I'm a wet behind the ears 22 year old. So now I'm looking for either advice on recourse or a place to transfer to so that I might finish the degree.

DieslPwrd,

Why did you choose to attend a non-accredited program? Most schools will only accept six to nine graduate transfer credits from other regionally and CEPH accredited institutions. Unfortunately, it's doubtful that you'll be able to carry over any transfer credits to another institution because of the non-accredited status of the program you're attending. I hope that you didn't go into a large amount of debt to attend your current program because I don't think you'll be getting any of it back.

At the time (2 years ago) it was the best choice I could find that would let me complete the degree online. It IS academically rigorous and has a couple of high profile profs on board. After I started the program is when I found out about the requirement to be present on-site during the internship.

Is it accredited by a regional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education? This question is entirely distinct from whether it is CEPH-accredited. Is it accredited by a national accrediting agency so recognized? Is it outside the U.S.?

Thanks for posting this. Is there any list on online MPH programs in Canada as well? It would be useful to open up the choices..... sorry if i'm being blind... could someone direct me? Thanks!

have any one of you taken or know somebody who has taken MSc in Epidemiology from London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine? If so, could you please apprise about the quality of course and support provided in the course? I heard from someone that their course vcontent and textbooks offered are often outdated.

I just completed the MSc in Epidemiology program. It was very rigorous and is heavily focused on quantitative methods and study design; less so on the fluffier stuff. Educationally I would give it an A+, administratively I would give it a C. It was hard for me to go through it fast because of the way it was set up. Tests are only offered once a year and they account for a great deal of your grade. If you like to do things at your own pace you will really like it. If you like to learn as part of a group it might not be for you.

To summarize, going through it was hard but now that I'm done, I'm proud I did something that was pretty hard.

Anyone have any information on the University of Illinois Chicago online DrPH program.

Anyone familiar with Capella University MPH Tracks

I would like to add that the University of Texas School of Public Health (CEPH accredited) now has an online certificate for Undergraduate Students. I know most of us have here have at least an undergraduate degree, but nonetheless, it might be useful for someone:

http://www.sph.uth.tmc.edu/sservices/prospective.aspx?id=11332
Requirements: High School diploma or GED

UT-Houston also has a Certificate of Public Health which can be done in person or completely online. No GRE is required. This covers the 5 core disciplines of public health (Biostats, Epi, Behavioral science, environment science, health policy) and can be applied to a UT-Houston degree if you get an A or B in the classes.
http://www.sph.uth.tmc.edu/cert/default.aspx

There is also a Maternal and Child Health certificate for non-degree people that can be done online, mainly public health practitioners who currently don't have the background but need it for their careers.
http://www.sph.uth.tmc.edu/cert/default.aspx

San Jose State University started a 42 unit online MPH program a few years back. They have had an on campus MPH program for a long time and the curriculum is the same for both for the most part. It is entirely online with the exception of a few days each semester for finals. CEPH accredited.

BTW, I went there for undergrad (Health Science) and can say that the professors I had there were awesome all around. (Except for one but she retired.)

http://www.sjsu.edu/healthscience/programs/mph_dep/

Members don't see this ad :)
M.P.H. from the University of Memphis, coming online fall 2010. Non-CEPH. Available concentrations: Biostatistics, Environmental Health, Epidemiology, Health Systems Management, and Social and Behavioral Sciences; a generalist degree is also available. Also, their School of Public Health will also offer an online Master of Health Administration, and their School of Education an online M.S. in Health Promotion.

M.P.H. in Community Health Education from New Mexico State University. Online, CEPH. The program "has curriculum and degree requirements in common with the campus program, and is covered by the same accreditation. All coursework for the degree can be completed off campus utilizing web-based technologies. The program is aimed at meeting the needs of working students and others for whom a campus-based program is not an option. The MPH degree prepares public health professionals to work in a variety of settings, including state and federal agencies and many community-based organizations"

Hi All!
Can anyone share their experience on whether the Final Certificate issued
by these programs mention the fact that the training was a distance-education based one and not a regular one?

Also,does the mention of this affect job prospects later?

I heard that LHSTM mentions the "online" thing on their Certificate? :eek:

My MSc degree certificate from University of London/LSHTM states:

Kevin Alex Kovach
having registered with the University of London and passed the approved examinations conducted by London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine has this day been admitted by the University of London to the Degree of

Master of Science in Epidemiology

However my postgraduate diploma did state that I studied as an external student.

As for job prospects, I don't know if it affects their decisions but I've been asked about it in an interview (held yesterday). I think it was more because the interviewer was familiar with the program. It's not like I could hide the fact, I lived and worked in the US while I studied from a UK school.

Hi All!
Can anyone share their experience on whether the Final Certificate issued
by these programs mention the fact that the training was a distance-education based one and not a regular one?

Also,does the mention of this affect job prospects later?

I heard that LHSTM mentions the "online" thing on their Certificate? :eek:

My MSc degree certificate from University of London/LSHTM states:

Kevin Alex Kovach
having registered with the University of London and passed the approved examinations conducted by London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine has this day been admitted by the University of London to the Degree of

Master of Science in Epidemiology

However my postgraduate diploma did state that I studied as an external student.

As for job prospects, I don't know if it affects their decisions but I've been asked about it in an interview (held yesterday). I think it was more because the interviewer was familiar with the program. It's not like I could hide the fact, I lived and worked in the US while I studied from a UK school.

@Kevin36,thanks very much!A senior NPO (National Program Officer) of the
Regional Office for WHO in my part of the world told me that a "proper"
MPH just has no alternative and online certifications are often held to be
insufficient for the practice of Public Health in the real world...

Well, I'm sure that a lot of people hold that view. Personally, I've been holding a job in real world public health the whole time while doing my MSc online. I could care less about working for the WHO. I guess it just depends on what you want to do. I also know plenty of people who have or are doing "proper" :rolleyes: MPH programs that simply don't have the understanding of public health/epidemiology that I do. So my guess is this person only respects on campus programs from schools like Harvard and Yale. That's fine with me; I didn't expect my program to hold up to those.

PS Sorry if it sounds like I'm pissed, but it was f'n hard to work full time and do the online MSc form LSHTM.

@Kevin36,thanks very much!A senior NPO (National Program Officer) of the
Regional Office for WHO in my part of the world told me that a "proper"
MPH just has no alternative and online certifications are often held to be
insufficient for the practice of Public Health in the real world...

do u know if the mph program will increase one's chances of getting into medical school? also for this purpose does the program have to be CEPH approved?

Got something in the mail today from the University of Florida. They now have an online MPH as well as certficates. Checked CEPH website and they are accredited
http://online.mph.ufl.edu/

This thread has been open for a while now and has gotten a lot of responses. If anyone is willing to take the time to clean it up, I'll edit my original post to include all of the new information.

are there any TOTALLY ONLINE programs that don't require this community practicum thing or, in-the-field-so-many-hours-training req.,... that is also certified??
i can't seem to find one that doesnt have this requirment:(

are there any TOTALLY ONLINE programs that don't require this community practicum thing or, in-the-field-so-many-hours-training req.,... that is also certified??

I don't know of any that don't have it at all. However, ATSU is applying for CEPH accreditation this August (According to the MPH Program Chair).

Also, check out UWF. Their program is completely online and has CEPH accreditation. They do have an internship requirement, but their requirements are rather liberal with respect to setting it up and completing it.

Which of these online programs is the most affordable? They all seem rather expensive. . .Also, can courses/credits obtained from a certificate program be used towards an MPH in the future?

hi,

I'm trying to get into NYMC MPH program and I'm looking for information on how to pay for this...financial aid office from school is not helping me and I cant take loans because I study medicine and have way to much debt!!! I'm looking for grants ...can someone direct me to the proper channels please!!!
I'm desperate !!!!

Eco...

which mph track?? is this all online?

Can anyone educate me (or send me a link to a forum on this topic) on how one pays for an online mph program? Are they considered full time? Can you get govt student loans?

Can anyone educate me (or send me a link to a forum on this topic) on how one pays for an online mph program? Are they considered full time? Can you get govt student loans?

With most programs you can get financial aid. As far as I know you only have to be enrolled with at least half-time status. However, I would check with the financial aid office at your schools of interest.

I'm wrapping up an online MPH that I did through U Mass Amherst. If anyone has any specific questions I can answer, I'll be glad to answer them. I took 1-3 classes per semester and it took me about 2.5 years to complete. Send me a PM if you have any specific questions.

JK
http://mdjosephkim.blogspot.com/

Hi

I am interested in MPH program and need some information regarding it.
I would like to know that- is online program equal to on campus program and it doesn't effect when one is in job market? I am not working in public health sector and have never worked in this sector.
Is accreditation very important for MPH?

Pal22

"The school offers the MPH in Health Policy and Management and the MPH in Environmental Health Science in an online distance education format."

FYI:)

Is the program in Univ of Victoria, Canada accepted by US standards? is it equivalent to a US MPH?

from my experience, Amherst is the way to go....the MPH does require 3yr work experience, but if I recall, the nutrition track does not

Which of the online programs listed above has the cheapest tuition???? Which is considered the best?

@ clion15 I can speak on the University of West Florida, which is CEPH accredited. I am currently in the PH online cert program and in the process of applying for the MPH. I think it is somewhat affordable because you are charged less than an out of state student but a little more than in state. The latter incentive is provided for selective online undergrad and grad programs. You can read more on their website. PM me if you have any questions!!!

Has anyone had any experience with Benedictine's MPH? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

seems to me all programs require a practicum, which is due to ceph requirements if i understand properly

some of them are also really $$$

has any1 done the math as to the cheapest program?

"The school offers the MPH in Health Policy and Management and the MPH in Environmental Health Science in an online distance education format."

FYI:)

imo their fees are ridicolous

Application Fee (non-refundable): $50.00
International Application Fee (requiring Form I-20 A-B): $100.00
DrPH Application Fee (non-refundable): $100.00
Tuition (per credit): $835.00
Activity Fee: $30.00
Network Access Fee: $25.00
Late Registration Fee: $125.00
Returned Check Fees:
First Unpaid Check: $25.00
Each Subsequent Unpaid Check: $50.00
Entrance Fee (one time only): $125.00
Maintenance of Matriculation Fee: $835.00 (plus the $25 network access fee)
Graduation Fee: $100.00
Official Transcript: $5.00
Student Copy Transcript: no charge

http://www.nymc.edu/Academics/Schoo...gistrationAndAcademicRegulations/Tuition.html

I think CEPH requires an internship for MPH degrees.

in my research, ive concluded the online mph is probably not the way to go....for one, a lot of these programs require some time on campus, and all of them require the field experience (which is ceph req'd), these 2 things imo take away the main advantage of doing it online...some of these programs are way too expensive also. i would do it on campus

if you do go ahead with it, as i said b4, the best things ive heard about are the umass

I graduated at LLU at a high rate. However there is an MPH completely online at $100 per unit. It comes from a high quality graduate institution from the Philippines. It is worlwide.

could you please get me informed about the name /web site of the university in the philippines that offers MPH completely online at $100 per unit.thanks.:thumbup:

Which of the online programs listed above has the cheapest tuition???? Which is considered the best?

At $22635 ($503/credit X 45 credits), Des Moines University is one of the cheapest online options (DMU is also one of the few online CEPH accredited programs that does not require GRE scores for admission).

Hopkins has one of the top ranked Public Health schools. UNC-Chapel Hill is another very well regarded school.

I wanted to note that CEPH accreditation is necessary when applying for employment with the federal government. It is also necessary if you want to apply for internships or fellowships with government agencies! If you choose a school without the accreditation keep this in mind.