List of Schools Please?? Low GPA-Average MCAT- Post Bac Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iAmPeign2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. Im currently a California post bac student, finishing up my last semester.
My GPA is very low (3.36 as an undergrad, managed to pull it up to 3.39 after first semester of post bac because I got a 3.9 GPA that semester... hoping ill pull it up to 3.42/3.43 by the end of May 2018)

I took the MCAT thrice, got a 501, 503, and a 508.

Attempt 1: 128/124/124/125 (yeah... definitely should have voided-very emberassed)
Attempt 2: 128/122/129/124 (CARS and P/S major problems)
Attempt 3: 127/126/127/128 (pretty balanced, down in some sections)

my EC list is pretty solid, I have extensive volunteering and shadowing hours. Ive volunteered at hospitals, clinics, and a private practice, and have community based worked and volunteering as well along with teaching/tutoring, and working with the elderly and disabled. Extracurriculars also include 3.5 years of research, an independent research project for which I wrote a paper (not published yet), poster presentations for research proposals, and even some outlandish stuff like dance, etc

My LORs list is from my undergrad professors, 2 physicians thus far (hoping to make it to 3), my PI, one of my post bac professors.

That was a lot!

So I was wondering what a decent list of schools should be for someone like me? Ive inputted my data onto the wedge spreadsheet and see that I should be applying to the low tier schools, but upon further researching those schools, I see their average GPAs and MCATs are pretty up there too (with lots of 3.6-3.7 average entering class GPAs and 510-512 MCATs)

I know my GPA and MCAT are really going to hold me back, and Ill also be applying to some DO schools, but what other schools can I add to my list which are good for a student like me? Schools that might value clinical work, shadowing volunteering, community involvement and such?
Also what schools would not look down upon me taking the MCAT 3 times? What schools superscore?

UConn

Quinnipiac

Albany

New York Medical College

Temple

Jefferson

GW

Georgetown

Eastern Virginia

Miami

Tulane

Creighton

St. Louis

Loyola

Rosalind Franklin

Rush

Medical College Wisconsin

Oakland Beaumont

Penn State

Hofstra north well school of medicine

coopeer medicals school of rowan

baylor

Any others I should look at?

thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Also forgot to mention that I have some experience working abroad in clinics of underserved communities!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your chances for a MD acceptance are only in the 30% range. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Loma Linda
California University (new school)
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
George Washington
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Creighton
many MD schools will average your MCAT scores.
Concentrate on your DO application and apply to at least 8 DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user