Listing previous jobs on CVs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rx MPLS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is mostly directed at people who do the hiring within pharmacy and those who changed careers from something outside of a heathcare field.

I'm a lot more familiar with resumes than CVs, but I'm finishing my first CV over our holiday break. I was told it is standard practice to only include healthcare-related work experience on a CV, but I have some reasonable professional work experience outside of healthcare.

Should I really not include this information? I feel it doesn't paint a full picture of who I am if I leave it out, but I also don't want to be the person submitting a CV that becomes lunchtime cafeteria joke fodder for practicing pharmacists. I will (of course) have some proof readers, but I would also appreciate the suggestions of others on this topic.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
lunchtime cafeteria joke fodder for practicing pharmacists.
Pharmacists don't get lunch breaks :smuggrin:

But I would say it depends on what the other activities are. If it was some kind of research or management, throw it on, makes you look well rounded. If it was working in the mall, making ice cream cones, waiting tables, probably leave it out.

Pharmacists don't get lunch breaks :smuggrin:

But I would say it depends on what the other activities are. If it was some kind of research or management, throw it on, makes you look well rounded. If it was working in the mall, making ice cream cones, waiting tables, probably leave it out.

Yeah...I know about the lunch break thing! I don't get them as a tech, either. :( But you get my drift. :)

There are a lot of jobs that involve some level of responsibility that aren't on the low end of the job market (like food service), but are also not research or management. I guess it still seems like a bit of an open question to me...

Generally, I advise to include any past job(s) or other things (rotations, internships, postdocs, volunteer gigs, etc.) you feel has given you some meaningful experience you may want to highlight in the interview.

The rule of thumb is, if you really don't want to talk about it during your interview, keep it off the CV/resume. If you really want to talk about it and will provide examples from that time when asked a question, highlight it prominently in your CV/resume. If you don't care either way, choice is yours. I would probably list it but not provide any detail, unless it was not at all relevant to the position you are seeking.