Literature major as an Optometrist? =-O

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ihearteyeballs

i
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all!

I've been thinking about going into optometry on and off for three years and just recently decided to hardcore pursue it and am a little nervous/confused because I don't really think that having a non-science discipline as my major makes me a competitive candidate...

I'm a third year Comparative Literature major and have taken some of the prereq classes (gen bio series, calculus, psych, stats) and have a 3.4 overall GPA and 3.6 in the prereqs and was just wondering if it's likely that they'll accept someone who isn't a science major?

The reason I'm wondering is because when I graduate I'll have taken ONLY the required prereq courses whereas someone who majored in a science field will have (obviously) taken many, many more.

Anyway, I hope I'm not repeating questions that are already in the forum (I don't think I saw anything about Literature majors) ^^

Members don't see this ad.

ihearteyeballs said:
I'm a third year Comparative Literature major and have taken some of the prereq classes (gen bio series, calculus, psych, stats) and have a 3.4 overall GPA and 3.6 in the prereqs and was just wondering if it's likely that they'll accept someone who isn't a science major?

Go for it. Lots of non-science majors in my class (a few years ago). I think that you'll look like a well rounded student which may be attractive to adcoms as compared to those of us who only took a few non-science classes.

ihearteyeballs said:
I was a non-science major in undergrad, and I don't think it was a problem in getting accepted. As long as you do well on your pre-reqs, as Matt says, having a non-science major makes you an interesting and well-rounded applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback! I hope I can finish all my prereq classes in time =)

hi eyeballs
i'm a lit major as well, looking at dentistry though. non-science majors can be very strong applicants for showing passion in an unrelated area. do well on the pre-reqs, and best of luck!