Literature on the Effectiveness of Antidepressants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDO2018

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im not looking for medical advice, but what are some papers that show that antidepressants are more effective than a placebo. I have taken 4 antidepressants and they didn't work at all, especially the SSRIs. Wellbutrin worked a little.

Members don't see this ad.

The best source I've seen for antidepressants as a type of crash-course that's good for clinicians and laymen is the guide written by Consumer Reports. If you type in "antidepressant guide" and "consumer reports" on a google-search it should be the first hit. It's a PDF file. It doesn't have the specific papers, but it gives a very good and intellectually honest overlay of antidepressants.

https://www.consumerreports.org/health/resources/pdf/best-buy-drugs/Antidepressants_update.pdf

As you already seem to know, we can't give you advice. Talk to your doctor about this.

Last edited:
The best source I've seen for antidepressants as a type of crash-course that's good for clinicians and laymen is the guide written by Consumer Reports. If you type in "antidepressant guide" and "consumer reports" on a google-search it should be the first hit. It's a PDF file. It doesn't have the specific papers, but it gives a very good and intellectually honest overlay of antidepressants.

https://www.consumerreports.org/health/resources/pdf/best-buy-drugs/Antidepressants_update.pdf

As you already seem to know, we can't give you advice. Talk to your doctor about this.

Yeah, I'll have to find another psychiatrist. The one I have now is one of the crapiest physicians I've ever come across.

I just want to chime in for a moment. I am NOT a Psychiatrist (yet), I am the Patient Advocate at an inpatient behavioral health facility and I used to be a psychiatric technician. I am saying that so you understand that my opinion is just that, an opinion.

I know someone in my family that has tried so many antidepressants I lost count. It took almost a year until they found the one that worked for him. It is a world of difference and changed his life. They won't all work wonderfully for you, but find a physician you trust and work with him/her to find the right one for you. Once you find it, please please please don't decide one day that you don't need it anymore and stop taking it without notifying your physician first. I have seen first hand many times what happens w hen someone stops taking meds abruptly and it can get ugly.