Little Help for a New Guy? (Please?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexkball

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to go to a Post-Bacc program. I don't have any geographical restrictions (I currently live in Texas but am anxious to leave), but was kind of thinking somewhere in the Northeast, since my family is living up there now.

A little about my history and what I think I want:

Graduated '08 from UNC-Chapel Hill with a BA in American Studies and Psychology. Took 1 Biol 101 class as part of my Psych requirements, but otherwise no other Med School pre-reqs have been taken. And frankly I didn't do that well in Biol 101 since it was literally my last class I needed before graduated and at the time didn't think I would need it down the road (wasn't thinking Med School at the time.)

This summer I thought about trying the Community College route for getting my Med School pre-reqs, but realized I'm the kind of person that needs more structure if I'm going to do this, and do it well.

So what I'm looking for is something structured, with a good reputation and that will prepare me well for applying to and getting accepted into Med School. In a perfect world this program would also allow me to start in January and not wait until next August...

Undergrad GPA: 3.42
SAT: 1390

What schools/programs do you think might be worth looking into, based on my qualifications and the other things I mentioned?

Do I have a good shot of getting in somewhere?

Thanks a million guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking to go to a Post-Bacc program. I don't have any geographical restrictions (I currently live in Texas but am anxious to leave), but was kind of thinking somewhere in the Northeast, since my family is living up there now.

A little about my history and what I think I want:

Graduated '08 from UNC-Chapel Hill with a BA in American Studies and Psychology. Took 1 Biol 101 class as part of my Psych requirements, but otherwise no other Med School pre-reqs have been taken. And frankly I didn't do that well in Biol 101 since it was literally my last class I needed before graduated and at the time didn't think I would need it down the road (wasn't thinking Med School at the time.)

This summer I thought about trying the Community College route for getting my Med School pre-reqs, but realized I'm the kind of person that needs more structure if I'm going to do this, and do it well.

So what I'm looking for is something structured, with a good reputation and that will prepare me well for applying to and getting accepted into Med School. In a perfect world this program would also allow me to start in January and not wait until next August...

Undergrad GPA: 3.42
SAT: 1390

What schools/programs do you think might be worth looking into, based on my qualifications and the other things I mentioned?

Do I have a good shot of getting in somewhere?

Thanks a million guys!

Hey OP -

it's all up to you what you're looking for. The NE has a lot of great schools... and if you're family is here (a downside is cost of living) it would help. A lot of people suggest not going the CC route, but I've heard here and there of people who have done it. Definitely look into credible post-bacc programs... a favorite is Harvard Extension's Health Careers Program. They typically admit / enroll 70 individuals to complete the post-bacc, which you'll be eligible for aid for this (while for places such as BU, where I'm going) you aren't.

COA or Cost of Attendance for Harvard (HEP HCP) is 1150.00 per class I believe. BU's Metropolitan Coll (which admits on a rolling basis) is 1500.00 per class... Other programs vary in price. Day classes are usually more expensive than night. Find programs that have instructors/professors from day programs at night... and don't outsource. I know HEP has the aforementioned, and BU as well. Not sure about other programs as I only looked into HEP and BU...

sorry I couldn't be more help.

good luck

I'm relatively new here- what is HEP? Sorry I need to learn all these acronyms.