Littmann Cardio IV vs MDF Procardial C3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InferiorToSuperior

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm deciding between the Littmann Cardio IV and MDF Procardial C3. Any insight would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Litmann classic 2 fam. I understand you hype to buy a stethoscope but don’t make the mistake of overspending early. A good pen is worth more than a good stethoscope early into your Med career.

Members don't see this ad :)
Litmann classic 2 fam. I understand you hype to buy a stethoscope but don’t make the mistake of overspending early. A good pen is worth more than a good stethoscope early into your Med career.
Both are required for the school I’m attending, but I want to only buy one haha two seems outrageous.

So, my school doesn’t specify the brand of stethoscope, but I went with the litmann cardio iv. All the older students I know all swear by it. And yes it’s very expensive, but as long as you take care of it, it’ll be an investment and a stethoscope that can potentially last you forever.

Reactions: 1 user
Both are required for the school I’m attending, but I want to only buy one haha two seems outrageous.
I always hear med students say this. I saw this at my med school among classmates and on here. The school can't force you to buy a specific brand of medical equipment, and they most definitely can't force you to buy two stethoscopes (I feel like you misinterpreted what they stated, lol). They haven't mentioned this to you yet, probably, but they will tell you that you absolutely need an otoscope and ophthalmoscope, as well. You don't. I never bought the ridiculous $800 otoscope/ophthalmoscope they told us we were required to buy (didn't even buy the cheap version because I realized we didn't need them based on the number of 2nd years trying to sell theirs to me for $700). I bought a cheap sub $100 stethoscope despite them telling us we had to buy specific types. I never bought a tuning fork or a reflex hammer or a clip board, all of which were "required". You think they are actually going to kick you out because you bought a Littman classic instead of the most expensive versions listed?

The brand of stethoscope will not be the reason you can't hear the 1/6 systolic murmur. Med school is expensive, it might feel like monopoly money right now, but eventually you will have to pay it back. Try to avoid the unnecessary ridiculous purchases whenever possible.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the advice. I saw all of those other items you rattled off on the required list but I’m only purchasing what the M2/M3’s I know suggest. Also I have a full ride and stipend as I’m in the military, I appreciate your concern though.

Anyway, I posted on here to get opinions outside of classmates on the Cardio IV or MDF procardio. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I always hear med students say this. I saw this at my med school among classmates and on here. The school can't force you to buy a specific brand of medical equipment, and they most definitely can't force you to buy two stethoscopes (I feel like you misinterpreted what they stated, lol). They haven't mentioned this to you yet, probably, but they will tell you that you absolutely need an otoscope and ophthalmoscope, as well. You don't. I never bought the ridiculous $800 otoscope/ophthalmoscope they told us we were required to buy (didn't even buy the cheap version because I realized we didn't need them based on the number of 2nd years trying to sell theirs to me for $700). I bought a cheap sub $100 stethoscope despite them telling us we had to buy specific types. I never bought a tuning fork or a reflex hammer or a clip board, all of which were "required". You think they are actually going to kick you out because you bought a Littman classic instead of the most expensive versions listed?

The brand of stethoscope will not be the reason you can't hear the 1/6 systolic murmur. Med school is expensive, it might feel like monopoly money right now, but eventually you will have to pay it back. Try to avoid the unnecessary ridiculous purchases whenever possible.

I have a Littman Cardiology III which I bought at the start of medical school and still have and carry in my bag. One thing that I think people lose sight of is that, sure, you should be cost-conscious as much as possible. On the other hand, medical equipment is very much an investment in your work. A stethoscope is a piece of mechanical equipment with no moving parts and, as long as you take care of it, $200 - or even $500 - isn't much in the long run and will last you at least through the rest of your training. My Cardiology III cost about $200 since I got it engraved and the all-black model, and 7 years later its still going strong. Over that time period, $200 isn't much in the big scheme of things.

I would agree with respect to the otoscope/ophthalmoscope. We didn't have a choice in the matter, but that's equipment that I never used during clinical rotations in med school and only carried in my white coat during my two months of neurology in PGY-1. They are now comfortably collecting dust in my closet.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a Littman Cardiology III which I bought at the start of medical school and still have and carry in my bag. One thing that I think people lose sight of is that, sure, you should be cost-conscious as much as possible. On the other hand, medical equipment is very much an investment in your work. A stethoscope is a piece of mechanical equipment with no moving parts and, as long as you take care of it, $200 - or even $500 - isn't much in the long run and will last you at least through the rest of your training. My Cardiology III cost about $200 since I got it engraved and the all-black model, and 7 years later its still going strong. Over that time period, $200 isn't much in the big scheme of things.

I would agree with respect to the otoscope/ophthalmoscope. We didn't have a choice in the matter, but that's equipment that I never used during clinical rotations in med school and only carried in my white coat during my two months of neurology in PGY-1. They are now comfortably collecting dust in my closet.

I've heard stories from current MS3-MS4 in my school's FB advising incoming students go with less expensive stethoscopes since the more expensive ones tend to sprout legs and end up running into the hands of residents/attendings. Then comes the awkwardness of risking asking for it back at the expense of offending said resident/attending...

FWIW: For the Class of 2023, check out this foundation to win a Cardio III Apply for a Stethoscope | Jason Medachy Foundation I will be getting one from them. :clap:
Too late for the Class of 2022.

I've heard stories from current MS3-MS4 in my school's FB advising incoming students go with less expensive stethoscopes since the more expensive ones tend to sprout legs and end up running into the hands of residents/attendings. Then comes the awkwardness of risking asking for it back at the expense of offending said resident/attending...

FWIW: For the Class of 2023, check out this foundation to win a Cardio III Apply for a Stethoscope | Jason Medachy Foundation I will be getting one from them. :clap:
Too late for the Class of 2022.

Well, sure, don't leave your expensive stethoscope sitting around in places in your hospital. I've somehow made it through 2 years of clerkships in medical school and 3 years of residency and my "nice" stethoscope has yet to sprout these infamous legs.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, sure, don't leave your expensive stethoscope sitting around in places in your hospital. I've somehow made it through 2 years of clerkships in medical school and 3 years of residency and my "nice" stethoscope has yet to sprout these infamous legs.

Some of the stories include residents/attendings asking to "borrow" the instrument...

There is a classic saying in medicine: it is what is "between the ears" that matters (experience versus name brand of stethoscope).

It's also common for stethoscopes to become "lost" or damaged (or otherwise "disappear") during your school years, as well as in hospitals/clinics (even if your ID is on them). It's no fun replacing an expensive stethoscope that has vanished, or walked away, or been damaged when you're still a student.

Friendly suggestion: try the stethoscopes out, before buying. Then get the one that works best for you at this time in your career progression.

[FWIW ... I have a Littman Cardio III and Littman Classic III - both work well.]

Bought a Cardio IV for half the price off of eBay. Hope its in good condition. Cheers for all the input!

Why not sell them?

"Like new" "5 stars !!!"

The sad thing is after seeing students/interns/residents on rotations, I could see people being too cowardly to ask for their stethescope back. It costs good money and no attending or resident would be offended if you politely say, "I think you accidentally grabbed my stethescope, can I get it back?"

Not having been in those situations (yet), I can't judge whether it's cowardly or not. But I can understand that students on rotation are being graded (subjectively?). It's the chance of offending which leads to students deciding whether the cost of a replacement is worth getting the poor marks that have more dire long term consequences...

I am anticipating this happening and IF it does during rotations, I will certainly approach the individual privately and politely ask them, "Just wanted to know if you are finished using my stethoscope?"

Last edited: