Living at Kent State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adventure-time

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, if I was fortunate enough to be accepted here, how do you find a place to live there? How would I find roommates around that area. If Podiatry schools starts next month, how fast do I need to get this going?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, if I was fortunate enough to be accepted here, how do you find a place to live there? How would I find roommates around that area. If Podiatry schools starts next month, how fast do I need to get this going?
You are already accepted?

Reactions: 1 user
You are already accepted?

No, just in case. Since I'm moving like lightning, I have to prepare just in case.

I know the acceptance is much more important to worry about, but considering schools start next month, I should at least know this.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, just in case. Since I'm moving like lightning, I have to prepare just in case.

I know the acceptance is much more important to worry about, but considering schools start next month, I should at least know this.
Oh, sorry. I didn't see the "If". I thought you said that you were fortunate enough to get accepted. My bad.

Anyways. Good luck! Hopefully you get accepted.

Oh, sorry. I didn't see the "If". I thought you said that you were fortunate enough to get accepted. My bad.

Anyways. Good luck! Hopefully you get accepted.

Thanks, considering I am undergoing app verification right now (well, by end of this weekend) and I will send it once the app is verified, what is generally the best way to find housing where you want to move in next month? That seems so hard to do, so I need advice on how to start that.

Start googling places/looking up places on trulia. You can start contacting places about their availability. I contacted places and made arrangements to see 8 different places in one day, narrowed it down to a few places, and signed a lease within a week.

Ok thanks! I live a few states away. I can't really arrange to see the places Im thinking about moving in. Do you think thats an issue?

Thanks, considering I am undergoing app verification right now and I will send it once the app is verified, what is generally the best way to find housing where you want to move in next month? That seems so hard to do, so I need advice on how to start that.
I moved about 4 times in the last 5 years and I used craigslist. I also used other sources but Craigslist always won. Often, description will even say when the unit is available.

There is also Zillow, realtor and so on.

Does Kent have on-campus housing?

I moved about 4 times in the last 5 years and I used craigslist. I also used other sources but Craigslist always won. Often, description will even say when the unit is available.

There is also Zillow, realtor and so on.

Does Kent have on-campus housing?

It appears they don't, which makes it a little harder to know exactly whats available. I have always heard craigslist is questionable for that, is it really that good?

They don’t have on-campus housing. But they provide this really useful apartment guide with several options that are affordable and close to campus.

How do I find this guide? I don't want to wait until the possible interview, just because time is of the essence right now.

Ok thanks! I live a few states away. I can't really arrange to see the places Im thinking about moving in. Do you think thats an issue?
Often, places won't let you apply or get you approved if they didn't see you in person. So when you apply and if you have to be there, that's when you can take a look. You could schedule to see 4-8 places in 1 or 2 days. So it would take only 1 trip.

If you dont have lots of things to move with you maybe you could stay at hotel for first time before you find a good place. But that can be a hassle.

Also, nowadays, many places include a virtual tour of the unit, so you can see it virtually before you even come there too look.

Often, places won't let you apply or get you approved if they didn't see you in person. So when you apply and if you have to be there, that's when you can take a look. You could schedule to see 4-8 places in 1 or 2 days. So it would take only 1 trip.

If you dont have lots of things to move with you maybe you could stay at hotel for first time before you find a good place. But that can be a hassle.

Also, nowadays, many places include a virtual tour of the unit, so you can see it virtually before you even come there too look.

Ok thanks, so the plan is to search for possible places while doing the interview. Thats hopefully doable. I will probably drive to my possible interview.

Is there any universal website or so that would show people looking for roommates specifically for podiatry school in the area?

It appears they don't, which makes it a little harder to know exactly whats available. I have always heard craigslist is questionable for that, is it really that good?
Questionable? Why?

Besides individuals, many managment companies and large condo or apartment complexes list their ads on craigslist as well.

I made an account on Zillow and set my preferences. They send me at least 6-8 listings every day, but so far none of them fit my criteria. So, far I have applied to places I have found myself on CL.

Ok thanks, so the plan is to search for possible places while doing the interview. Thats hopefully doable. I will probably drive to my possible interview.

Is there any universal website or so that would show people looking for roommates specifically for podiatry school in the area?
At DMU, once you are admitted, on your account they have that option where people post things for sale and rent and such.

Is there a FB page for Kent?

People ask questions and share info on school's Facebook page.

I think Podstar is at Kent. Maybe you can PM Podstar with your questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Questionable? Why?

Besides individuals, many managment companies and large condo or apartment complexes list their ads on craigslist as well.

I made an account on Zillow and set my preferences. They send me at least 6-8 listings every day, but so far none of them fit my criteria. So, far I have applied to places I have found myself on CL.

Very interesting, I will use CL too then.

I know Temple also has on-campus housing. What are the pros and cons for on-campus vs independent housing?

It’s provided in the interview packet.

I think it often depends on the place though. They won’t just not approve you because they haven’t seen you in person. But you’re correct in saying that virtual tours are available. Many places have online applications as well. I’m sure that denying someone’s application is often due to lack of good credit, not having a sufficient income, etc.
True. They can also count your loans as part of your income.

It’s provided in the interview packet.

I think it often depends on the place though. They won’t just not approve you because they haven’t seen you in person. But you’re correct in saying that virtual tours are available. Many places have online applications as well. I’m sure that denying someone’s application is often due to lack of good credit, not having a sufficient income, etc.
True. They can also count your loans as part of your income.

How do you do a "virtual tour"?

Very interesting, I will use CL too then.

I know Temple also has on-campus housing. What are the pros and cons for on-campus vs independent housing?
Pros: proximity.
Cons: for me at least; these are usually limited to single or small families. I dont fit that criteria. Even if that, having kids, I want to live off campus.

I think that’s kind of a grey area. But it is something that can be brought up to your landlord. They may require a co-signer though, someone with sufficient income that abides by the application requirements.
The places I have applied considered it as part of the overall income. Not the whole loan amount, of course, but the portion that is set for housing and personal expenses.

I was accepted in June, found a house, and moved with my SO and two dogs in less than a month over 15 hours away. If you need any specific help or advice PM me.

Reactions: 2 users
How do I find this guide? I don't want to wait until the possible interview, just because time is of the essence right now.
During interviews, they handed us a massive packet and went over possible move in locations with us.

It included location, pricing, floor plans, proximity to school, and even the closest school districts for children.

If you are that anxious about moving before you apply and get an acceptance, email or call their office and just ask them straight up.

They will be able to give you more useful concrete information than we can.

Reactions: 1 users
There is a roommate list that is sent out if you request to be on it. I believe it is resent every time someone is added to it. You mention a little bit about yourself and what your living preferences are. The facebook page has some places that are still available. I live VERY far away and was able to find a house to live in with a couple of roommate without traveling back there. The flights to and from where I live take about a day of travel and cost quite a bit so I really did not want to go back. Cost of housing is quite low. My rent will be about $300 with 2 roommates in a house pretty close to campus. The area is very student friendly and the other students looking for roommates are friendly (if you want to go that route). From my experience, it sounds like the apartment complexes/landlords for houses that are for rent are pretty familiar with working with students moving from out of state.

The apartment guide they hand out at the interview is also very handy. If you are having trouble navigating the process, you can also reach out to the school and they can set you up with a student to offer some guidance.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m at Kent State, if you need any direction or adivce on a place/area you’ve looked at I can help. If you’ce already looked at the area around the school you might be famililar with the name Parma. Parma is where a lot of the students live because it is cheap and very close to the school. Many Students that live alone live in a place called the Regency which is one of those apartment complexes that kind of feels like a hotel. Me and and my family are moving soon from North Royalton (because my wife insisted on living in a nicer area). We are moving closer to the school in Independence which is also a great place and super close to the school. Many of the students will get a place alone the first year and then once they make friends in their class they will move into a house with other students close to KSUCPM. Sorry if this information was too personal. Im still a little new to SDN so im not 100% sure whats too personal or not. Any other info you want about KSUCPM let me know, I can hook you up with whatever you need here.

Reactions: 3 users
I’m at Kent State, if you need any direction or adivce on a place/area you’ve looked at I can help. If you’ce already looked at the area around the school you might be famililar with the name Parma. Parma is where a lot of the students live because it is cheap and very close to the school. Many Students that live alone live in a place called the Regency which is one of those apartment complexes that kind of feels like a hotel. Me and and my family are moving soon from North Royalton (because my wife insisted on living in a nicer area). We are moving closer to the school in Independence which is also a great place and super close to the school. Many of the students will get a place alone the first year and then once they make friends in their class they will move into a house with other students close to KSUCPM. Sorry if this information was too personal. Im still a little new to SDN so im not 100% sure whats too personal or not. Any other info you want about KSUCPM let me know, I can hook you up with whatever you need here.

This is very consistent with all of the students I have encountered so far at Kent. VERY willing to help find information, answer questions, or chat about any concerns. I had a million questions before choosing a school and was pleasantly surprised with all of the helpfulness.
I may not have spoken to you directly, but that kind of help is really appreciated :)

Reactions: 3 users
I just used zillow, I live in Cleveland, ~10min drive from campus