Medical Living in Canada - where should I move within the states?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was born in NY and moved to Canada as a child. Completed high school as well as my undergrad (junior right now) in BC, Canada. I would like to attend medical school and practice in the US for the rest of my life. I plan on graduating in April and moving to the states for a year until the May 2022 application cycle. I have the choice of any state in the entire US to move to and I am kind of confused. I was originally planning on moving to Texas and fulfilling their 12 month requirement for residency and applying as an in-state student.

Would this seem disingenuous even though it was a choice I had to make?
If you're going to play this game, I suggest one of the states that highly favors ISers, but isn't as competitive as TX.

Suggest, ND, SD, NV, IN, KS, MO, MN, KY, TN, NE, AR, WA, SC, NC, AL, MS, NM, UT, AZ, LA, FL, CT, MD, GA, or NJ.

Members don't see this ad.

MN and ND have special considerations for apparent Canadian nationals (as in, if you are a dual citizen and did not graduate from a US school for undergraduate, you are considered a Canadian for purposes of applying and course articulation). Residency will not change that there. MN specifically has an agreement with Manitoba over the matter for course articulation, so this is not going to work for MN at least though it would not be disadvantageous. I seem to recall that WA also has some interaction with BC on this matter as well such that you need to lookup before going there.

I agree on the TX issues with colleagues.

Also from my memory, Canada is not considered an IS institution for the purposes of AMCAS with the possible exception of Laval and Montreal (the French speaking institutions). We have directly accepted McGill, UBC, and Manitoba transcripts without question through AMCAS and I don't think that has changed.

Agree that TX may not be the best move. You are going to move to a state entirely by yourself based solely on your chance of getting into medical school? Remember that a good support system is very important. If you have other states in the US that you have family/friends in, those should be on top of your list if they are one of the states that offer what you're looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response,

Do you believe that moving to one of these states and gaining clinical experience within their healthcare system, as my current experience is within the Canadian one, would help my application a lot, or would it come across as me trying to game the system and sneak in as an ISer.
Yes

I have a lot of non-clinical experience with the underserved so I was thinking of applying for a scribing position to gain my clinical experience. Would you recommend this over traditional ER volunteering?
Absolutely. Scribing is an amazing clinical experience and acts as volunteer too. Double dippin.

I've been offered telescribing for a place in the states. Do you think telescribing is worth doing even though it allows for less in-person clinical exposure. I think it might come across as an exploration into the future of medicine.
Eh, in-person is how you are going to get that patient experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.