Living on campus at TUSPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kris1089

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice about housing at Temple. I'll be attending this fall and cannot decide whether I should live on campus or not for my first year. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

depends on what you want. its easy living on campus, and youre right next to school (so no multi block trips in the rain/cold, except for food, and other friday night essentials).

off campus, in china town is expensive. jersey is cheaper from what i have heard, and you actually see grass every now and then (not just pavement)

regardless, its up to you.

Live on campus.

The convenience is great, you will meet all sorts of new people and will have easy access to the labs to study anytime in your first year.

Especially if you don't know anyone, and for the first year, it can't be beat imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you decide to live on campus, apply asap. Spots are limited, reason is that they rent dorms out to other non-podiatry Temple students as well.

I was under the impression that housing applications at TUSPM don't start until May. I could be wrong.

For the Temple folk, what about the possibility of relatively cheap housing nearby campus?

For past 3 years I've house-shopped on craigslist each year and have moved into a new place each year. I pay about 600 a month sharing apartment with roommates and that is the cheapest I could find in Chinatown (wanted to stay near campus). If you are willing to walk through shady neighborhoods or live in a shady neighborhood, you can find yourself decent places much less than 600/month.

it all depends on your preference. i live 10 mins walking distance and i enjoy being off campus.

the dorms there are really old.

if you are looking for cheap, then i say dorm.
if you cannot stand dustiness, then i day off campus but near walking distance.

Last edited:
Living on campus for the first year is pretty useful; you literally are next door to the school. The downside is the apartments are in dire need of renovation and they are dingy units. That being said - you will come away with some good memories if you decide to live there, but there are many options if you are willing to walk 15 minutes or so to school.

I would stay away from the apartments across the street from the school located on the corner of Cherry & 9th. They are pretty run down and a couple of classmates apartments were burglarized.

Some decent and affordable apartments can be found littered across South street near Old City. The rent is somewhat comparable to what you would end up paying at campus housing per month for a single unit apartment; bear in mind at campus housing you pay one large sum for the semester that includes everything [water, electricity, internet, cable, rent]. Convenient.

If you can afford it, Nine North Ninth is pretty decent. It is the apartment building situated across from the Gallery on the corner of Arch St & 9th. I knew quite a few people who lived there and none were too displeased. Its just really, really expensive.

This form has not been updated for quite a while now. I hope to be accepted to TUSPM for fall of 2013. I would like to live on campus...BUT I heard the dorms are not great at all. The admission staff did not take us out on a tour of the dorms. Do you guys have any recommendations for living off campus? Like what apartment buildings or areas to check out which are relatively safe to walk to from school (5/10 minutes from campus)

This form has not been updated for quite a while now. I hope to be accepted to TUSPM for fall of 2013. I would like to live on campus...BUT I heard the dorms are not great at all. The admission staff did not take us out on a tour of the dorms. Do you guys have any recommendations for living off campus? Like what apartment buildings or areas to check out which are relatively safe to walk to from school (5/10 minutes from campus)

The dorms suck. Very old, internet access often goes out, and you have an RA.
However, I still recommend the dorms for a first year student. Main reason: most of your class will live there. It is a GREAT way to make friends and have social interactions with your class. Imagine freshman year of college all over again -- with a lot more work.

If you want to live off campus, I suggest Old City. Great apartments, walking distance to awesome bars and restaurants, and an overall European type feel.

Overall parameters to go by (FOR A SAFE 5/10 MINUTE WALK TO CAMPUS, ALSO THE "BEST" PLACES TO LIVE --> use a map to see what I am talking about):

Stay SOUTH of Vine St and NORTH of Walnut St.
Stay WEST of Front St (1st St) -- you have to because the water is the border
Stay EAST of 13th St. -- to make your walk less than 12 minutes.