Living Situations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Metfan2987

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just wanted to pose a question to the people who have been through medical school already (or are currently going through it). Do you think that it is 100% necessary to live with somebody else who is going to the same medical school as yourself, or not? Better yet, if I wanted to live with one of my friends who have a job in the city, would that be harmful to my studies, or helpful?

I was thinking it could be helpful, because if I do my studying in the library or someplace other than my room (most likely), and then I come back to the apt. at the end of the day, living with somebody not in medical school would be like an escape. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

That's an understandable philosophy. I have many classmates who live with friends or significant others who are not medical students. Indeed, it does provide a nice escape. However, you should make sure to set some terms for how to share your space since you'll have different schedules. For example, no parties thrown by your roommate the night before a final exam. Always ask each other before inviting others over. Stuff like that.

The toughest thing would be that your roommate might not understand that when u get out of the classroom u still have to study, unlike a job where once u punch out, it's Miller time. It's possible though.

Members don't see this ad :)
from personal evidence, i don't think it matters too much

M1 i lived with other med students. M2 i live w/ by bf (not a med student). i am pulling the same grades (actually a little better M2, but i attribute that to smarter studying). if you do choose to live w/ a non med student (or non student in general), just make it clear from that start that being at the house doesn't mean that you are "done w/ school" for the day

Yes, everyone lives with medical school students.

Come on. We know that's not true. Live with whoever you want... just remember, this isn't freshman year of undergraduate.

Live with the people you enjoy spending time with the most, if you can. It's great to go back to an apartment filled with good friends!

Obviously your work comes first, but you will have time to spend with friends. If you don't make time to do things you enjoy, you will burn out. I've been there. It's not fun. Avoid it.

I changed roommates 3 of the 4 years in medschool. Two of them were students in other programs at least part time. Everything worked out fine. I studied at home occasionally, but did most of it at school. In hindsight, I think it would have been nice to live with another med student. Eh, doesn't really make a lot of difference. I found living fairly close to the school helpful. Good luck.