LMFT Calls Herself "Psychological Expert"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Your post reminded me of an article I read about a Massachusetts psychiatrist who lost his license for misconduct and started calling himself a psychotherapist. When people complained, he became...drumroll...a life coach. I'll try to dig up the article. My internet's a little wonky now.
yeah, the life coach thing irks me a bit....so unregulated. i think it really attracts people who have had abusive relationships with rules/laws.

For everyone so upset by these encroachments, I'd recommend reading Alejandro Jodorowski's Psychomagic: The transformative art of shamanic psychotherapy.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, the life coach thing irks me a bit....so unregulated. i think it really attracts people who have had abusive relationships with rules/laws.

I have mixed feelings about it - I don't have problem with people selling "life coach" services if it's a means for practicioners to innovate and offer new kinds of interventions and experiment with new ways of obtaining reimbursement outside of third-party payment systems.

On the other hand, it seems like an easy way for an unethical, fraudulent practicioner who might have had their license pulled for being a crook to continue to fleece consumers and still lay claim to their title in a backhanded, sneaky way.

I have mixed feelings about it - I don't have problem with people selling "life coach" services if it's a means for practicioners to innovate and offer new kinds of interventions and experiment with new ways of obtaining reimbursement outside of third-party payment systems.

On the other hand, it seems like an easy way for an unethical, fraudulent practicioner who might have had their license pulled for being a crook to continue to fleece consumers and still lay claim to their title in a backhanded, sneaky way.

This is a major concern. I think the term "life coach" should be regulated, as there are a few life coaches I have met over the years who had advanced training in various social sciences (some Ph.D.'s, some terminal Masters) but drew distinct boundaries around what they would do in terms of the scope of their practice in healthy ways. They did things like helping people develop time management and organizational skills, increase the effectiveness of their communication or politically savvy behaviors in difficult/hostile work environments, sometimes helping people with weight loss goals where there is no pre-existing or additional mental health issues....

I think in those cases, where psychologists couldn't get reimbursement from insurance companies for these types of treatment/lack of diagnoses, there is a great opportunity for a practitioner such as a life coach. I just think that the field needs to be regulated to protect the public from quacks and other unethical practices.

Every time I hear "life coach" I think spiritual guru wannabe. I don't like the term. It's one thing if you're an old respected religious leader but somebody with no real education or understanding of either people or life in general can call themselves a life "coach"? Sounds presumptuous.

I was gonna ask the same thing...

Why, sexual misconduct, of course! Here's the article: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/articles/2006/05/head-games/

Several clinicians are profiled in the article, and the one I was referring to was accused of having sex and smoking pot with five clients. (This also touches on that other thread about being able to practice psychotherapy in some states without a license.) I don't think these people should ever be allowed to practice any human services profession, even if they call it coaching or consulting. Of course, a clinic or hospital would never hire them, but in private practice, people don't check.

Re: life coaching, the weight loss thing really drives home the point that life coaching needs to be regulated. There's no rule that says they have to be trained in recognizing potential mental health issues in their clients and referring them to professionals when necessary. I'd be worried about a life coach doing weight loss work without knowing how to recognize anorexia or bulimia. And if the psychiatrists in the article above couldn't stop themselves from violating boundaries, what hope is there for an untrained, unlicensed life coach? (And what license would he/she lose, and to what ethics committee could you report him/her unless a crime was committed?) Of course, most of these people have about the same mental health and ethics training as Lucy van Pelt...

Every profession has its black sheep.

Here's the list of citations and removal of licenses for the state of california psychology board, all couched under violation of 2960 (everything from drinking too much alcohol to having a sexual relationship with your pt).

http://www.psychboard.ca.gov/formspubs/spring2011.pdf
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/BPC/1/d2/6.6/4/s2960

I get that misrepresentation is an issue, and a valid one. I'm just aware of our need to scapegoat other professions in an effort to remind ourselves of our own value. No profession is free from those that transgress, which I believe is not a reflection on the profession but that our regulations aren't perfect in screening out those people. Nor should they realistically be expected to do so.