Loan Forgiveness Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-Dent Jeff

Dent-Jeff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you looked into loan forgiveness programs? I've looked into, but not extensively, the National Health Service Corps with the rural placement program.

I'm just curious if anybody else has looked into any programs out there?
What have you heard about them?

Members don't see this ad.

There are quite a few threads on National Health Service Core (NHSC) and military dentistry (HPSP) already on SDN. I highly recommend looking them up. There are threads from dentists who have been in almost every loan repayment program. There are also loan repayment programs through the National Guard.

It honestly all depends on who you are as a person. If you want to work in public health, then NHSC is probably a good fit for you. If you want to give back to your country, then HPSP might be a good fit. Depending on where you get accepted it might be cheaper and faster to take out loans and pay it back once you get out of school. If you get accepted in-state or at a texas school (very hard to do if you aren't a resident) then loans might be a good option. The one thing I've heard from lots of people is that if you go into a loan repayment program for the money then you'll hate every minute of it. If you go into it for the right reasons then it might be a good fit.

Several states have programs as well. Usually there is a requirement to work in an underserved area for x number of years. In our state, there are a couple programs and I think they work together but I'm not positive. The on program pays a "salary" of $50,000 for 2 years and the other pays up to $100,000 in student loans (I think that was the figure--it's been a while). Each program had a 2 year commitment, so 4 years total. Delta Dental also has programs in several states.