Loans for International Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xxalic3xx

Western C/O 2015 :)
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I know there are some international students out there.
I was wondering if any of you guys take out loans for school?

Most of the ones I checked require a co-signer who is an US Citizen or PR.
But I dont think I'll have access to these people. It's not like I have a friend who's willing to co-sign for me for the huge amount of loan I'll be taking out.

I came across this - Global Student Loan Corporation - and apparently it's the only one that does not require a US Co-signer.
Does anyone have any information on this?

I am not finding a lot of info on its website. If someone knows any information on it, please let me know!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much on the topic but the first place I would go would be to Western's financial aid office. I would hope they would have the information you would need?

Hi Everyone,

But I dont think I'll have access to these people. It's not like I have a friend who's willing to co-sign for me for the huge amount of loan I'll be taking out.

I came across this - Global Student Loan Corporation - and apparently it's the only one that does not require a US Co-signer.

I am not finding a lot of info on its website. If someone knows any information on it, please let me know!

Thanks!

I think it probably depends on which country you are a citizen of and where you are trying to study. I'm a US citizen going to an international school (UCD) and I just had to fill out a FAFSA like I would if I were going to a US school and they were happy to hand me $70k (yikes!!!).

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know much on the topic but the first place I would go would be to Western's financial aid office. I would hope they would have the information you would need?

Deb has good advice :thumbup:

What country are you from? I can understand why the US government wouldn't loan money to a non-US citizen. Perhaps your home government would lend you the money for school?

I've never heard of that company... but I'm not exactly in the financial loop ;).

I'm surprised Western did not ask you about it during their interview... I was asked a couple of times during my vet school interviews when they saw that I was a non-citizen, even though I'm a PR. Maybe the fact that they didn't ask means that it hasn't been a problem for them in the past? I'm with heylodeb. Def contact them and see what they think your options are. But based off of their Fin Aid page for international students, it does not look good.

" To receive funds from the Financial Aid Office a student must be a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. Alternative or private loans may be available to international students who have a U.S. co-signer that is credit worthy. However, the nation's credit crisis has drastically affected private lenders who lend to international students. Because of the credit crisis it has become more difficult for lenders to offer private loans to international students.
If you have any questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office at (909) 469-5353."

As for the Global Student Loan Corporation, it looks like your best bet is to register to see if you're eligible. It seems like Western has to be a participating school, and you have to have Lenders that are participating from your country of origin (and the terms of your loans are all based on which lender is willing to loan you money). It's free to register, and you don't have to put any important personal information in to see if you are eligible. You don't have anything to lose here. I really hope this works out for you. Here are a couple of school specific websites that might give you more info (so if anything, at least the company is legit). University of Minnesota Masters Program

Carnegie Mellon Business School

Sorry OP, this really really sucks. You've worked so hard to get into a vet school, and now this! I hope you are not depending on this student visa to stay in the country in case the loans don't come through...

Thanks guys!
I will definitely register on the website and contact Western about it.

I should be fine for the first year of vet school.
My parents are just worried that they might not have enough after the first year and so I am just looking ahead to see what the worst scenario may be.

Thanks everyone anyways! :)

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
Hi, I know you put this up a long time ago, but I am curious as to how you managed to take loans as an international student? Thank you!