loans repayment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyD4me

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! How is/will you psyD students going to pay for the darn thing??? All loans? If you already have your degree... how long is it gonna take to pay it all back?

PsyD4me

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,
Well I'm still in college, but am looking into going to a Psy.D program. If I have to, I'll take out some loans, but I'm looking for partial scholarships and seeing if I can get a TA or RA position. However, I'm only looking at the smaller, university-based programs and not the freestanding schools.

i hear that!!!.. what programs are you considering?

also have u heard anything about loyola in maryland or george washington in dc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Some Psy.D. programs are extremely expensive. In view of the fact that clinical psychologists make about $50K (US Dept. of Labor), paying off a $100K to $150K loan is a tall order, and probably lifetime endeavor once interest is tossed into the equation.

I'm not sure about specific Psy.D. programs, but I know that funding is available for select students at most programs. Ph.D. programs in clinical psychology tend to fund every student and provide them with a stipend, which ranges from $10K to $20K per year. This funding is usually in the form of research and/or teaching assistantships. Depending on cost of living and your savings, you may have to take out a small loan to balance your books.

I have worked with some Psy.D.'s, but never got around to asking them how their doctoral education was funded. My fear is that many of Psy.D. programs are money-generators.

PH

Hey,
I haven't narrowed down my list of schools yet, but Rutger's and Yeshiva are Definitely on my list right now. I haven't heard anything about loyola, but I heard that GW is expensive and doesn't give as much aid as other programs. I don't know if its true though. As far as the programs being money generators, I have heard that most of the free-standing programs are just degree mills, but the university affiliated programs seem pretty legit.