Loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babalaco2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading somewhere else on here where someone posted the amounts for their federal loans that were offered in their Financial Aid package. However, the amounts were not the maximum amount. Federal loans arent need based so why would anyone not get the max if they need it. For instance, I am going to rely soley on Stafford to pay for school, but if I dont get the max of 31k, i dont think I could afford it. If you dont get the max, can you appeal to get more?

Also, if you apply for federal loans outside of your financial aid office, do you get to request a certain amount?

Members don't see this ad.

The subsidized portion of loans are needs-based. So, you're right, everyone should qualify for the max amount of subsidized & unsubsidized loans.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Edit: Now that I think about it - I have Federal loans + private loans....so I think if you don't qualify for the full amount through Federal loans, then you always have the option to max out in the private sector.

AmandaRxs said:
The subsidized portion of loans are needs-based. So, you're right, everyone should qualify for the max amount of subsidized & unsubsidized loans.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Edit: Now that I think about it - I have Federal loans + private loans....so I think if you don't qualify for the full amount through Federal loans, then you always have the option to max out in the private sector.

Maxing out in the private sector isn't necc. a good thing, considering the interest rates some banks charge. *ouch*

>_<

nikkai said:
Maxing out in the private sector isn't necc. a good thing, considering the interest rates some banks charge. *ouch*

>_<

Well for some of us it's a matter of maxing out private loans so I can eat and pay my rent!! :scared: