local anesthesia recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have any good local anesthesia study guide/notes besides Mahammad textbook that everyone recommends? I know that this is an important subject for the licensure and I will be seeing patients very soon in my 3rd yr and I feel like I cannot name any local anesthesia right at the spot which I should be able to technically. My school doesn't teach this subject very well. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi tinman831thanks for your reply. Hmm we started it already but our instructor uses very poorly organized slides so I just read the Malamed textbook to pass the course but there are so much details in that book. I've been looking online for good notes for this topic from other dental school because seriously I feel like we should be able to name the type, dosage, etc that a patient needs based on his/her medical history in seconds. I am studying in a american school but i dont want to name which school so people might have no confidence in my school because after all, people have different studying strategies and it may so happens that my instructor did not teach the way that I can absorb it. Let me know if you have any suggestions or have notes you can share. Thanks in advance!

In a nutshell, you need to know off the top of your head:
1)why you are using it
2)when you can/cannot use it
3)how much can you use
4)how to use it

There's only a handful of local anesthetics that are in popular use right now. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to memorize the basic ones. The only thing that would really require some time and thought would be calculating how much epi or an anesthetic you can use. It shouldn't take more than a minute with a calculator. As with any subject in dental school, you could read whole texts devoted to the subject. It's up to you to sift through it all and retain only what you think is necessary to practice dentistry competently. If you ever encounter something you're not sure about, ask first.

Hi tinman831thanks for your reply. Hmm we started it already but our instructor uses very poorly organized slides so I just read the Malamed textbook to pass the course but there are so much details in that book. I've been looking online for good notes for this topic from other dental school because seriously I feel like we should be able to name the type, dosage, etc that a patient needs based on his/her medical history in seconds. I am studying in a american school but i dont want to name which school so people might have no confidence in my school because after all, people have different studying strategies and it may so happens that my instructor did not teach the way that I can absorb it. Let me know if you have any suggestions or have notes you can share. Thanks in advance!