Location of your medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

godawg300

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been fortunate to have several acceptances. Some in CA and some on the east coast. I know I want to do a residency in CA or at least try and be competitive to do residency in CA. Does it matter if I attend a top school out of state if I want to match back in CA? Or would it be easier to match if I just did medical school in CA? I understand step 1 scores and research and all that other stuff will be important too. I'm just trying to understand if there is an advantage to staying in CA for medical school (besides the great weather).

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It matters. You should just look at said medical schools' match lists and see what states they match the most students into. The California schools always match a lot of students to California residencies, for example.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know I want to do a residency in CA or at least try and be competitive to do residency in CA. Does it matter if I attend a top school out of state if I want to match back in CA? Or would it be easier to match if I just did medical school in CA?
Californians matriculating in my state don't seem to match into residency programs back home in the numbers I would have predicted.

Last edited:
Thank you for that link. It's very helpful. Is there selection bias though? Like people that go to CA schools rank their CA matches higher? Or is there an actual preference for CA applicants that went to CA schools.

So, best chance of matching back in CA would be top 10 school or CA school?

The competition for residency positions is fierce here in the West (across the board) but there is no reason that you can't match as long as your grades and scores are competitive. The number of interviews that can reasonably be done well after transcontinental flights is really the impediment! LOR's from people known to the PD can add a small amount of additional regional preference.

Members don't see this ad :)
The competition for residency positions is fierce here in the West (across the board) but there is no reason that you can't match as long as your grades and scores are competitive. The number of interviews that can reasonably be done well after transcontinental flights is really the impediment! LOR's from people known to the PD can add a small amount of additional regional preference.

So if I understand correctly, you only get a slight advantage by staying in CA for med school? Assuming grades and scores are High. I'm not worried about the long flights. Just trying to see if it's worth leaving CA to try a new place. I don't wanna hurt my chances of coming back though.

So if I understand correctly, you only get a slight advantage by staying in CA for med school? Assuming grades and scores are High. I'm not worried about the long flights. Just trying to see if it's worth leaving CA to try a new place. I don't wanna hurt my chances of coming back though.
My students who want to return to the East Coast are the ones who face the larger challenge. Nobody apparently believes that they would rank their program over a similar CA program!

California PD's believe that they have an advantage over similarly ranked programs in colder climates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
My students who want to return to the East Coast are the ones who face the larger challenge. Nobody apparently believes that they would rank their program over a similar CA program! California PD's believe that they have a weather advantage over similarly ranked programs in colder climates.
what about say a DO program at southern CA vs an MD program on the east, and I want to snag a primary care residency in socal?

what about say a DO program at southern CA vs an MD program on the east, and I want to snag a primary care residency in socal?
I am not a Family Physician so I wouldn't want to presume how they interview and rank between the degrees. In general, PD's want to rank enough excellent candidates to fill the program and avoid the SOAP. There is often a sufficient number of both IS Californians as well as the majority of CA applicants who had to leave CA applying to our residencies. Thus, even in FM most programs fill here.

@gyngyn , to piggyback on the OP's question, what about non-Top 20 schools and likelihood of matching into CA residency? I've been accepted at UC Davis, but I'm leaning towards an acceptance at a respected, albeit non-top 20 midwestern school because I enjoyed the environment and program. I also am tempted by the lower cost of living. I think I might want to come back to CA for residency and I don't want to decrease the likelihood. Of course I understand that grades and scores will need to be high. In your opinion, would going to this other school decrease my CA residency chances? Thank you.

@gyngyn , to piggyback on the OP's question, what about non-Top 20 schools and likelihood of matching into CA residency? I've been accepted at UC Davis, but I'm leaning towards an acceptance at a respected, albeit non-top 20 midwestern school because I enjoyed the environment and program. I also am tempted by the lower cost of living. I think I might want to come back to CA for residency and I don't want to decrease the likelihood. Of course I understand that grades and scores will need to be high. In your opinion, would going to this other school decrease my CA residency chances? Thank you.
PD's are looking for academic excellence and "fit." It is far more important to develop yourself than it is to "be from" a particular region. If you believe that you will find community in a particular school, the odds are that you will be a better candidate as well.

just go to UCSF

0fc.gif

Yes, for the most part.

I'd even say top 25 or CA school.

It also depends on what specialty and location in CA.

Are we talking IM in Fresno or San Francisco? Fresno isn't going to be nearly as competitive.

Are we talking psych or ortho? Psych will be a lot easier.

Go to the cheapest school possible. I stayed in my home state and left with 40K in loans vs 400K. I went to a top program for residency. In the end you'll thank me.

Go to the cheapest school possible. I stayed in my home state and left with 40K in loans vs 400K. I went to a top program for residency. In the end you'll thank me.

CA schools are not as cheap as Texas schools and I'm really poor so no help from my parents. An OOS top school might actually be cheaper for me.

Yes, for the most part.

I'd even say top 25 or CA school.

It also depends on what specialty and location in CA.

Are we talking IM in Fresno or San Francisco? Fresno isn't going to be nearly as competitive.

Are we talking psych or ortho? Psych will be a lot easier.

I probably want to do a competitive specialty but I don't care where in CA it is.

I'd remember that match lists really don't tell the whole story. if you're from Cali and did med school in Cali, self selection might be the reason you choose to match in Cali. same goes for east coast schools. maybe programs will be more familiar with your schools caliber of student if you stay in that region, but if you perform well, I don't see why any doors would be closed to you regardless of where you go.

women, weed, and... o wait u got that one