General Locked: How much do Master's Degree Grades matter for PhD applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mne161

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a first year MS student a top school of public health. I am concerned because I wish to apply to PhD programs here at my school and at other top schools of public health following the completion of my master's degree, and I am not entirely sure of the extent of which that my grades in my master's program will effect my chances of getting into PhD programs.

As of now I'm doing okay, but I will probably get Bs in a few of my classes. I've already gotten a B and an A- from half-semester classes, so I'm worried about the rest of of my grades right now since I'm not sure if I'll be able to get As or A-'s for the rest of them based on how things have been going since midterms, B+'s or Bs just feel more likely right now.

So for going on to a PhD program at the same school after my master's, would the research I do and the connections I make be more valuable than the grades I get while I'm here?

Members don't see this ad.

I was always told if you're getting straight A's you're not doing enough research or writing. A's and B's are fine!

I think the question is: are you studying or doing research now?
A Master learns a lot of things. A Doctor find a lot of things to learn.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for the replies. Most of us start doing research over the summer between the 1st and 2nd year, so I'm focusing on classes now, but I have everything set up for then.

You should be getting mostly A's. It's been my experience that PhD applicants are also the strongest students in both the classroom and in research. A number of B's could negatively impact your application.

You should be getting mostly A's. It's been my experience that PhD applicants are also the strongest students in both the classroom and in research. A number of B's could negatively impact your application.

Even at the graduate level? For undergrad I was fine and got into a master's program at the top level, and now that I'm here its hard and I don't think I'll get above an A- in any class for this semester. I failed one test at the beginning of the term and even though I worked so damn hard to improve myself, I'll still probably only get a B+ in that class. I hate living like this, in constant fear of my future, while everyone else is frolicking around so happy to enrich their intellectual development, I only want to use this program as an end to continue on to a good PhD program, but even though I'm trying as hard as I can I just can't do it and I hate the stress of grades even though I like what I'm learning. Wow. I'm just nervous, and scared about my future, as I always was and always will be.

Even at the graduate level? For undergrad I was fine and got into a master's program at the top level, and now that I'm here its hard and I don't think I'll get above an A- in any class for this semester. I failed one test at the beginning of the term and even though I worked so damn hard to improve myself, I'll still probably only get a B+ in that class. I hate living like this, in constant fear of my future, while everyone else is frolicking around so happy to enrich their intellectual development, I only want to use this program as an end to continue on to a good PhD program, but even though I'm trying as hard as I can I just can't do it and I hate the stress of grades even though I like what I'm learning. Wow. I'm just nervous, and scared about my future, as I always was and always will be.

Absolutely. Should always get great grades in the discipline you're trying to get into a PhD program (which is far more competitive than a MPH program). Remember, there are maybe 5% as many spots for students in a PhD program as in a MPH--the best applicants also tend to be the best students from a MPH/MS. Generally, your competition will also have mostly A's in their classes along with research experience.

Do the absolute best you can and work as much as you can towards accomplishing good grades and good research experiences with faculty who can provide you good recommendations.

Absolutely. Should always get great grades in the discipline you're trying to get into a PhD program (which is far more competitive than a MPH program). Remember, there are maybe 5% as many spots for students in a PhD program as in a MPH--the best applicants also tend to be the best students from a MPH/MS. Generally, your competition will also have mostly A's in their classes along with research experience.

Do the absolute best you can and work as much as you can towards accomplishing good grades and good research experiences with faculty who can provide you good recommendations.

Hey sorry I haven't been able to reply, finals and all that. I'm in an MS program at a top school and we have about half as many doctoral students as master's students. I'm most likely doing research with a professor next semester.

I also bombed my epidemiology final last week. I'm not concentrating in Epi (exposure assessment) and it brought a decent grade down to 77%ish, which will hopefully still be a B and not a B- since it depends on the distribution of the rest of the class.

I'm having an anxiety attack about it. My friends who have been here longer than me get almost only As and A-'s, and say they've never heard about anoyone gettting lower than a B in any class. If I get a B-, I might as well drop out. I just want to hurt myself and cut myself and I don't know why I suck so much. I try and try and try and try and try only to fail, and now my whole ****ing future is going to be worried. What can I do to get into top programs? If I'm lucky I should be able to have a 3.3 GPA for the semsester, pending on when my lazy teachers get their ****ing grades in. I'm just so angry and shocked and mad at myself, I really don't belong in grad school.

Hey sorry I haven't been able to reply, finals and all that. I'm in an MS program at a top school and we have about half as many doctoral students as master's students. I'm most likely doing research with a professor next semester.

I also bombed my epidemiology final last week. I'm not concentrating in Epi (exposure assessment) and it brought a decent grade down to 77%ish, which will hopefully still be a B and not a B- since it depends on the distribution of the rest of the class.

I'm having an anxiety attack about it. My friends who have been here longer than me get almost only As and A-'s, and say they've never heard about anoyone gettting lower than a B in any class. If I get a B-, I might as well drop out. I just want to hurt myself and cut myself and I don't know why I suck so much. I try and try and try and try and try only to fail, and now my whole ****ing future is going to be worried. What can I do to get into top programs? If I'm lucky I should be able to have a 3.3 GPA for the semsester, pending on when my lazy teachers get their ****ing grades in. I'm just so angry and shocked and mad at myself, I really don't belong in grad school.

Your whole future won't be at risk over a single grade. Again, just do the best you can and you'll make it through. You were admitted into the program and potential was seen in your application, so rest assured, seek out the right assistance from your classmates, TAs, and professors and they'll help you get on your right path.

If you're extremely stressed out, reaching out to your school's health center--schools will have health counselors available to help deal with stressful situations. Academic counselors will also be able to develop a study plan to help achieve your goals as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.