Locum tenens right after residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr1216

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with doing locum work right out of residency (or within a year or so)? If so, what was your experience like? Would you recommend it? Negatives? Positives? I'm mainly considering it due to the flexibility it provides and also due to the fact that I will be staying where I am now for a little less than a year more before relocating. My PD thinks it might be more beneficial to get a salaried job for the support that it would provide as a new attending. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I did it. Someone asked a similar question in the General Residency Issues forum. Read that thread but ignore Law2Doc's posts.
Hi Trismegistus4, thank you for the link. I did read that forum post but I was hoping that I could hear more from a psych specific perspective. I'll PM you as you suggested in the other post.

It all really depends. I have done locus for 4 years now. I did less than a year of a salaried job after fellowship. I personally love locums, but everyone is different, some of my colleagues, much prefer salary. It also depends if you are comfortable with taking care of your own taxes, benefits etc. It def gave me an opportunity to see different facilities and how they operate. Also they don't have the expectation from day 1 that you are there for several years as in the average salaried job so the locum jobs will know you have an end date as its already explicit in the contract.

Reactions: 1 user