locums and the middle man

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that locum companies facilitate paperwork and possibly liability but is it possible for an ED doc to set up their own locums network as an individual?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Myself and a group of other docs did just that. We work at a place that previously had locums (but no longer does). Both ourselves and the hospital cut out the middleman, and we all benefit. It takes a lot of phone work, research, and travel if you want to do it yourself.

Yes. Myself and a group of other docs did just that. We work at a place that previously had locums (but no longer does). Both ourselves and the hospital cut out the middleman, and we all benefit. It takes a lot of phone work, research, and travel if you want to do it yourself.
So you basically set yourselves up as a "mini contract group"? Is this your primary site or a satellite facility?

Members don't see this ad :)
So you basically set yourselves up as a "mini contract group"? Is this your primary site or a satellite facility?

Work at two hospitals, and soon to be more. While it has aspects of a contract group, we're hospital employees.

So far being a hospital employee has been leagues ahead of being in a CMG. I'm paid an hourly rate, the staffing levels are better (1.7 pts/hour) and I don't have to worry about the pyramid scheme of wealth redistribution that is in every CMG.

Work at two hospitals, and soon to be more. While it has aspects of a contract group, we're hospital employees.

So far being a hospital employee has been leagues ahead of being in a CMG. I'm paid an hourly rate, the staffing levels are better (1.7 pts/hour) and I don't have to worry about the pyramid scheme of wealth redistribution that is in every CMG.
Hm...sounds pretty interesting. Do you worry any about being an employee?

Hm...sounds pretty interesting. Do you worry any about being an employee?

No. My experience with CMGs where you are a "partner" is that you are just as much an expendable employee as when you are a hospital employee. I knew a lot of physicians who were shown the door from my prior CMG (EMP) rather quickly and without much due process. I experienced the process myself, though they backed down once I threatened litigation. I find that in places where I am hospital employee the staffing is better and the salary is consistent. I don't have to worry about billing or coding. I don't have to worry that some guy who's been in the group 20 years is leeching off of me.

I think that CMGS and private groups are among the walking dead in this era of government-run health insurance. Hospitals will increasingly need more control over their staffing and physicians in a way that a CMG cannot provide.

No. My experience with CMGs where you are a "partner" is that you are just as much an expendable employee as when you are a hospital employee. I knew a lot of physicians who were shown the door from my prior CMG (EMP) rather quickly and without much due process. I experienced the process myself, though they backed down once I threatened litigation. I find that in places where I am hospital employee the staffing is better and the salary is consistent. I don't have to worry about billing or coding. I don't have to worry that some guy who's been in the group 20 years is leeching off of me.

I think that CMGS and private groups are among the walking dead in this era of government-run health insurance. Hospitals will increasingly need more control over their staffing and physicians in a way that a CMG cannot provide.
I think that you might be right in terms of the walking dead, but that future "all employee" model is probably at least a decade away.

Anyway, I just finished some locums work and found it enlightening on many levels. One of the insights that I had is that if I set up my own "locums" company (with myself as the locums doc) then I can make and keep a hell of a lot more money than I am currently making.

CMGs sure do skim a lot off of the top...

I think that you might be right in terms of the walking dead, but that future "all employee" model is probably at least a decade away.

Anyway, I just finished some locums work and found it enlightening on many levels. One of the insights that I had is that if I set up my own "locums" company (with myself as the locums doc) then I can make and keep a hell of a lot more money than I am currently making.

CMGs sure do skim a lot off of the top...

It sure is interesting. I'm making about $100/hour more than before by being independent contractor and negotiating for myself. I just don't see the "added value" that CMGs bring to the table when they have worthless positions like "Regional Director" and "Vice President of Diversity" draining 300K/year each from the partners.

Yeah. One of my good friends is FM working in a group of about 15 docs. They apparently have a worthless CEO who for some reason drains $3,000 per DOC per MONTH for his salary. And for sure the guy does NOT add value to the group.