LOIs/Updates & TX Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FaithSaves

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) How many letters of interest and letters of intent do you think a school receives?
I thought LOIs were pretty foreign to non-SDNers. Can any adcoms give an estimate of the number of people who actually sent a letter of intent or interest?

2) How receptive are TX medical schools to letter of intents (specifically UTMB)?
Do these schools actually read them upon receipt? Or do they just add it to your file and review it later IF you so happen to be a candidate who is similar to the diversity profile they're looking to fill?

Generally I can see why letter of intents may be disregarded. But I feel that if a school is truly your first choice and you would turn down your current acceptance for it, then it is still meaningful to let them know if you are on its wait-list.

How impactful do you think LOIntents are if you can write specifically and descriptively why you are a match to a school's mission and fit if you are on its waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

For clarification, all the questions above are assuming a post-interview waitlist.

Is it also better to submit ONLY one or can we submit another one later on with similar content but additional update as well?

I really don't think they make much of a difference, but I'd encourage you to write one. Might as well give it everything you've got.

I'd try to minimize being annoying and just send 1 letter.