Long Commute - Listening Suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MidwestMD2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a fourth year medical student on a sub-I in internal medicine at the local VA--my last rotation before the match! It's a 45 minute drive each way, and I can only take so much of my favorite radio stations.

Any favorite podcasts, audio books, or other sound files that could occupy some time? I'm looking for things relevant to an aspiring psychiatrist, but other suggestions are welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Several conferences are available on audio-CD. The problem here is they are also very expensive. Worth it if you're borrowing the CD from a friend but not worth it at the price they charge. If a collegue or attending has any ask for them.

I like listening to the "Partially Examined Life" podcasts. I find them to be great introductions to philosophers I wouldn't otherwise be able to tackle. They also cover a lot of ground and it's easy to just cherry pick topics.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There are cme podcasts that are OK. Most of them are industry sponsored though so expect them to cover new diagnoses that a new drug is trying to cover. If you can find it, the institute of psychiatry at king's college had a really good series of lectures, but might only be on their site now. Was a podcast.

"Very bad wizards" podcast is entertaining. A psychologist and philosopher debate various topics.

Go to your library and see what they have in audiobooks or downloadable content on their website (all free). I love listening to anything by David Sedaris.

Go to your library and see what they have in audiobooks or downloadable content on their website (all free). I love listening to anything by David Sedaris.

There's an app called Overdrive that lets you access your local library's audiobook & ebook collection from your phone or other device and download them for free for a specified period (2 weeks for my library). Super handy.

For podcasts, I really like NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour. It's a nice summary of what's happening in art, literature, the news, and the Internet with a very light touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk