Long Island PTA's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmtjs88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm reconsidering DPT and thinking of PTA. I know some people might think this sounds stupid but I have a couple of reasons. I already took a semester off to take a physics and chem for pre reqs. I currently have my bachelors in biology and I know in order to be a PTA, a bachelors is not required. Right now my gpa isn't the greatest. My overall is around a 2.95 and my science pre req is around a 3.25. Chances are if I get in, it's not gonna be a SUNY state school or CUNY. This leaves me with schools that are gonna cost around $90,000 to $100,000 for the 3 years.
That is a lot of debt to inherit and I really don't want it. If I do not get excepted into a cheap school, I would probably have to take another year off to retake classes.
That leaves me at 24 years old entering physical therapy school. Right now I'm a certified personal trainer and I'm thinking of going the PTA route. It would be around $9,000 to $10,000 and I already have some of the classes finished.
I wanted to hear from current PTA's from the long island area and maybe find out a starting salary and salary with some experience. I know as a DPT you have full autonomy and the sky is the limit. With PTA you might be stuck where you are unless you work your tail off and maybe get a couple of DPT's together and open your practice.
Please some input from longisland/new york PTA's.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not from ny but I was in the same exact situation as you. I decided to go the PTA route and have to say I'm happy with my decision. I will not be in debt and the job market is pretty good. The starting salary in my company is $45,000. And I just worked it out with them to pay for me to go to a weekend DPT program. Yes, overall it is taking longer than I wanted but I will be able to work during the week and go to school on the weekend. There are a couple of bridge programs where you can get you DPT in 2 years if you are a PTA that has practiced for a year. Becoming a PTA worked out for. You'll make the right decision for you. But don't be embarrassed if you do choose to go the PTA route.

That leaves me at 24 years old entering physical therapy school.

I'm 25... I'll be 26 when I start (if I get accepted) Does that mean I'm stupid or too old for school??

Look at it this way, (all things money related aside, for just a moment) - if you start PT school at age 24... in 3 years you will be 27 with a doctorate. Now, yes, it's a clinical doctorate, but nonetheless, it's a doctorate. That's a BIG accomplishment for someone at that age. I'm pretty excited to know that by age 29 I'll have a doctorate.

I did the same thing as you- I struggled with whether I wanted to do DPT or PTA. I wrote down pros and cons of each... but it was a PT that encouraged me to go DPT, because the sky is the limit. DPT's have so many more opportunities than PTAs. Depending on where you get hired, you may get to act alone, as a DPT, but sometimes certain places expect you to be an assistant, and don't give you a lot of responsibility. Salary wise, you are going to top out at a lower amount with PTA (obviously) than you would with a DPT. Higher salary probably means more school loans, but it's really your happiness that matters.

Not many people live their life and say, "Oh man, I wish I had spent less money on school." - They judge their life by the experiences they had.

So, I would suggest to make a pros and cons list. Think of every POSSIBLE pro/con to each and then see what looks better on paper.

Maybe it would be worth it to apply for DPT, if you don't get into a reasonably affordable school, then pursue PTA. But remember, a lot of schools offer internships/scholarships/etc, so it could be less expensive than you think.

tiiifff got a great opportunity to be able to do the weekend schooling- that could always be an option for you too! And I also agree with tiiifff-- don't be embarassed if you choose PTA. Choose what is right for YOU.