Long Island Student Accepted to All Eight Ivy League Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
30kynog.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
“I had the passion to research all eight of them, they can all be so different,” Mr. Enin said

Haha.

Post this in preallo and see what happens...

Reactions: 6 users
"Mr. Enin said he be leanin' toward studyin' medicine at Yale..." :smack::smack::smack:

Thought this as well... always a facepalm when a freshman/sophomore acts as if their acceptance to med school (an Ivy league med school no less) is an inevitability. Unless Yale has some sort of European style undergraduate entry med program I am unaware of.

Reactions: 1 user
Thought this as well... always a facepalm when a freshman/sophomore acts as if their acceptance to med school (an Ivy league med school no less) be an inevitability. Unless Yale has some sort of European style undergraduate entry med program me am unaware of.

The entitlement starts early.

8 Ivy League acceptances. Wow. That kind of accomplishment doesn't happen by accident. Maybe he changes his mind about medicine in a year or two, or maybe he keeps aiming for the stars, and ends up at Yale or some other amazing medical school. Nothing wrong with dreaming big, especially when you have the intellect and potential to follow through on those dreams.

I wish him the best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who researches undergrads? Shotgun common app ftw.

Thought this as well... always a facepalm when a freshman/sophomore acts as if their acceptance to med school (an Ivy league med school no less) is an inevitability. Unless Yale has some sort of European style undergraduate entry med program I am unaware of.

Are you serious? Honestly, what is the problem? So people can't have aspirations now without accusations of arrogance? No where did he indicate attending medical school at Yale was "inevitable" for him but it's clear this is a goal of his and he shouldn't have to play that down to appease people with insecurities.

Reactions: 2 users
@Instatewaiter--Yeah, my SAT score was higher (on the 1600 scale) with decent extra curriculars, yet for some reason my application to harvard was rejected

I think my application was written on paper that was a bit too..."bright"

Reactions: 3 users
I was Valedictorian with a 36 on my ACT. Doesn't mean **** now, but I didn't get into all 8 Ivy League schools (didn't even apply to all of them). I'd be willing to bet my resume was more impressive than his. Admissions to those top schools is a crapshoot, no matter how good you are. No doubt being a URM/female helps tremendously as well.

I was Valedictorian with a 36 on my ACT. Doesn't mean **** now, but I didn't get into all 8 Ivy League schools (didn't even apply to all of them). I'd be willing to bet my resume was more impressive than his. Admissions to those top schools is a crapshoot, no matter how good you are. No doubt being a URM/female helps tremendously as well.

Doubt being female helps unless you're applying to a techy school or major.

Are you serious? Honestly, what is the problem? So people can't have aspirations now without accusations of arrogance? No where did he indicate attending medical school at Yale was "inevitable" for him but it's clear this is a goal of his and he shouldn't have to play that down to appease people with insecurities.
That's sidefx's nature. You say an aspirational thing or something positive and he'll misconstrue it into pomposity and delusions of grandeur. It's a personality type, I guess.

You completely missed the point of my post. I did not correlate having aspirations with being arrogant even remotely. The fact that he has aspirations has nothing to do with my post; my post is about presumptuously overstating your accomplishments. He is a high school senior deciding which undergraduate program to attend at university. When asked which Ivy league school he was going to attend for that undergraduate program he stated he is "leaning towards studying medicine at Yale", which is obviously not an undergraduate program. I guess it sounds better when you just skip ahead 4 years and tell people you are studying medicine because you are so smart that your acceptance to a top 10 med school is inevitable anyways. OR he could just be honest and say he is studying biology or whatever undergrad program he is going into with hopes of getting into medicine? I don't see why honesty and modesty are such foreign concepts to you. It has absolutely nothing to do with having goals or aspirations, and everything to do with presenting yourself.

If you don't see any problem with these kinds of overstatements of your achievements, or "arrogance", do you think he would be well advised to make such presumptuous comments during his medical school interview? Since according to you he is only airing his aspirations and there is no perceived arrogance in these sorts of comments, he might as well just say stuff like "well I am going to be doing my residency at Yale in neurosurgery, so I thought it would be a natural fit to do med here too". I mean he is just stating his aspirations right? Obviously the admissions committees are just insecure and will reject him because they are jealous of his aspirations... Or maybe, just maybe, it's because people don't like presumptuous arrogance? Not only on these forums, but other forums and real life, the presumptuousness of "pre-meds" acting like they've already been accepted to med school is universally loathed amongst a majority from what I've seen pretty much anywhere. If you don't understand why, I suspect you are/were one of those bio sci undergraduate freshmen who goes around telling everyone he's in med. Then when they laugh at you, you respond with "wow you must be really insecure". :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the first comment: "To be honest.. his essay is written well, but it's really not all that remarkable." His topic is also not mindblowing either, which has been used by TONS of applicants to college.

Yeah, but I've read tons of personal statements for ERAS that were way worse and about topics beaten to death and purgatory with ascension into heaven. Anyone else starting out with a cool clinical story about how your attending saved a patient's life and how your heart beat really, really fast at that time, and that's what made you decide to go into that field? Or is it just me?

Yeah, but I've read tons of personal statements for ERAS that were way worse and about topics beaten to death and purgatory with ascension into heaven. Anyone else starting out with a cool clinical story about how your attending saved a patient's life and how your heart beat really, really fast at that time, and that's what made you decide to go into that field? Or is it just me?

Yes, the difference being this kid got into EVERY SINGLE Ivy League institution. The only analogous situation would be if a person only applied to Ivy League institutions within a specialty, which doesn't happen.

Why don't you all ever consider the so-called "non-URMS" that get into top schools with less stellar scores than you? How did they manage to pull that off if everything is about affirmative action? Quit the jealousy and insecurity. This kid got accepted because he is an exceptional student. Trying to downplay his achievements because he's African won't get you further in life.

I am a URM (for undergrad admissions, at least) and my GPA/ACT/SAT scores were all perfect or near perfect but I was rejected from every Ivy I applied to (HYP only)+Stanford. Scores don't really matter that much at top tiers, I think for those schools it is really all about extra-curricula. Mine were good I'd say because I did get into some good programs with them but not spectacular. I was also in Guys and Dolls in high school so it's nice to see a thespian get this kind of recognition (as opposed to a cookie-cutter Stuyvessant Intel baby, not putting down the quality of work that goes into Intel but those kids are just bred to place in that competition so it's hardly ever an exciting event) I think his essay was really good. Yah, it's nothing special by collegiate standards but keep in mind that a high school senior wrote that. The sentence structure is varied, it's coherent, there's a theme that aligns clearly with the student's character and passions. 8/10 I'd say for a high school essay. Vanilla otherwise. He was - and probably will continue to be - a chamber musician, an actor, and a singer. That's a triple threat. African immigration aside, he has some legitimate diversity to add to the class.

Well deserved, all the best to this lucky, lucky kid.

Reactions: 5 users
Why don't you all ever consider the so-called "non-URMS" that get into top schools with less stellar scores than you? How did they manage to pull that off if everything is about affirmative action? Quit the jealousy and insecurity. This kid got accepted because he is an exceptional student. Trying to downplay his achievements because he's African won't get you further in life.

Buzz off.

When did I ever say it was solely because he was African? If you actually read and comprehended my post instead of barging in to make assumptions about my character, you'd get the main message, which is that it's about luck with those schools. The problem I have with someone bragging about getting into to all of these schools is that it's really just a crapshoot. Any top student knows that. Yes, I was probably more impressive than him in pretty much every regard of the application (which isn't that rare, at a big HS 10+ people are getting 35-36 ACT, Valedictorian, extremely well-rounded). There's no denying his race helped. But I didn't downplay his achievements at all. In fact, I'm all for affirmative action. . A "flaming" liberal even, in stark contrast to many of peers and the majority of this board. He will bring diversity to his class and I'm sure he'll be a capable student.

Buzz off.

When did I ever say it was solely because he was African? If you actually read and comprehended my post instead of barging in to make assumptions about my character, you'd get the main message, which is that it's about luck with those schools. The problem I have with someone bragging about getting into to all of these schools is that it's really just a crapshoot. Any top student knows that. Yes, I was probably more impressive than him in pretty much every regard of the application (which isn't that rare, at a big HS 10+ people are getting 35-36 ACT, Valedictorian, extremely well-rounded). There's no denying his race helped. But I didn't downplay his achievements at all. In fact, I'm all for affirmative action. . A "flaming" liberal even, in stark contrast to many of peers and the majority of this board. He will bring diversity to his class and I'm sure he'll be a capable student.

You just wasted key strokes, dude. No one cares if you are a self-described "liberal" especially when we all know it's the liberals who have "non-PC" opinions behind closed doors.

I'm sure there are plenty of white and Asian students that got into several ivy leagues/top schools that you did not despite having lower stats than you. Yet I never see people like you going out their way to challenge their acceptances. Kwasi wasn't even bragging about getting all 8 acceptances, in fact he was surprised himself. He was just celebrating his achievement. It's obvious people like you, despite being so-called "liberal" are often bothered by seeing an African/Black kid achieve great things, so you make excuses as to why "he got in" as if hard work and INTELLIGENCE weren't the primary reasons.

You just wasted key strokes, dude. No one cares if you are a self-described "liberal" especially when we all know it's the liberals who have "non-PC" opinions behind closed doors.

I'm sure there are plenty of white and Asian students that got into several ivy leagues/top schools that you did not despite having lower stats than you. Yet I never see people like you going out their way to challenge their acceptances. Kwasi wasn't even bragging about getting all 8 acceptances, in fact he was surprised himself. He was just celebrating his achievement. It's obvious people like you, despite being so-called "liberal" are often bothered by seeing an African/Black kid achieve great things, so you make excuses as to why "he got in" as if hard work and INTELLIGENCE weren't the primary reasons.

Seriously, what are you talking about?

You completely ignored my post yet again, made more completely baseless assumptions and just restated what you said before, despite it being already addressed. I hope you felt cool typing that terrible post.

Actually, it's easier to be white and get into med school than to be Asian. FYI.

Gentlemen please, let's not stoop so low as to bring in the race of the individual. Everyone is created equal in this world.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1396572986.237355.jpg

Good for him. Obviously he's good at school/ECs, and it would seem extremely likely that his URM status helped him.

I do agree with it being pretentious for him to say he's learning MEDICINE at yale. Maybe he should've done Brown's PLME and made a comment like that.

Also that essay - definitely TL;DR if it's all about music. Call me a pleb, but no thanks to reading all that.

Good for him. Obviously he's good at school/ECs, and it would seem extremely likely that his URM status helped him.

I do agree with it being pretentious for him to say he's learning MEDICINE at yale. Maybe he should've done Brown's PLME and made a comment like that.

Also that essay - definitely TL;DR if it's all about music. Call me a pleb, but no thanks to reading all that.
He's really not truly URM considering he's African.

He's really not truly URM considering he's African.

What are you talking about?
URM doesn't discriminate between African-Americans born outside of the US and African-Americans born in the US.

Wait - I'm re-reading the article. His parents emigrated from Ghana in the 1980s. He's 17 now. 2014 - 17 = '97. This kid was born in the US. He's African-American. Pray tell, how does he not fall under "truly URM"?

That would make him even MORE of a URM.

Considering their numbers in the United States, they are VERY represented in higher education. They are the most educated group (speaking of children born and raised in America to immigrant parents) in America.

Considering their numbers in the United States, they are VERY represented in higher education. They are the most educated group (speaking of children born and raised in America to immigrant parents) in America.

So you're not looking at the race? Or do you mean black children born and raised in America to immigrant parents?

What are you talking about?
URM doesn't discriminate between African-Americans born outside of the US and African-Americans born in the US.

Wait - I'm re-reading the article. His parents emigrated from Ghana in the 1980s. He's 17 now. 2014 - 17 = '97. This kid was born in the US. He's African-American. Pray tell, how does he not fall under "truly URM"?
Yes, he's African AMerican but he's also Ghanaian American.

Yes, he's African AMerican but he's also Ghanaian American.

OK. And? You're saying Ghanaian-American kids shouldn't be considered URMs? Every other group of students is considered essentially by continent (Asian American, Native American, Hispanic American), but you want African-American to be broken up (or at least Ghanian-Americans to be excluded from URM status)?

I mean, in terms of URMs, I'd be fine including SES in the discussion about who gets affirmative action and other help, but you can't just ignore a sub-sect of students from one specific country in Africa.

OK. And? You're saying Ghanaian-American kids shouldn't be considered URMs? Every other group of students is considered essentially by continent (Asian American, Native American, Hispanic American), but you want African-American to be broken up (or at least Ghanian-Americans to be excluded from URM status)?

I mean, in terms of URMs, I'd be fine including SES in the discussion about who gets affirmative action and other help, but you can't just ignore a sub-sect of students from one specific country in Africa.

Immigrants from Nigeria and Ghana are highly successful in the US (yes, more so than asians even) and considering them URMs because of skin color is one of the many problems with affirmative action.

And yes, really all race groups should be broken up, but since most Americans cant even name more than 3 countries per continent that would be entirely too confusing. There are many asian ethnic groups that tend to be low SES and are underrepresented in medicine, but this is never accounted for.

Immigrants from Nigeria and Ghana are highly successful in the US (yes, more so than asians even) and considering them URMs because of skin color is one of the many problems with affirmative action.

And yes, really all race groups should be broken up, but since most Americans cant even name more than 3 countries per continent that would be entirely too confusing. There are many asian ethnic groups that tend to be low SES and are underrepresented in medicine, but this is never accounted for.

I get where you're coming from. And if you want to change URM so that every country is represented, I could get behind that. However, with the current state of affairs, anyone originating from Africa will be considered a URM.