Looking at a Reapplication, how can I improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notthrowingawaymyshot

MD Class of 2024 (◠‿◠✿)
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

This was my first application cycle and its looking like I will have to reapply as I haven’t received any II this round. I applied to 35 schools and still waiting to hear from 18 schools but as it’s nearing the end of January with no II, I’m aware I’m looking at the strong chance of a reapplication.

GPA: 3.61 GPA, 3.48 sGPA
Don’t really have an upward trend. I received one D in O Chem 1 which sort of tanked my sGPA as I wasn't a Biology major and there weren't many other courses contributing to this GPA, but I received an A- when I retook it and an A in O Chem 2 and even received a LOR from the professor. All other science courses were above B+. I also have 1 C from a community college course (economics) that I took back in high school in (so hopefully this isn't really scrutinized as it was almost 7 years ago before starting college).

MCAT: 1st take: 506 (126/127/123/130), 2nd take: 509 (127/128/125/129)

EC's:
-4+ years of sustained research, working with veterans (and with the university of a T10 medical school), have been promoted twice (started out as a volunteer and am now a full-time project manager), will have 4 poster presentations (2 1st author, 2 2nd author), and 1 paper (3rd author). Will likely have more posters/publications by the time of re-application.
-TA'd for 4 different courses for 2 1/2 years
-Peer advisor for 1 year for my major
-Secretary of my sorority for 1 year

Clinical Volunteering (350 hours):
-Homeless shelter clinic volunteer for 1 year (100 hours)
-Women's health group at homeless shelter volunteer (50 hours)
-Medical scribing as a volunteer (100 hours)
-Volunteer coordinating of a smoking cessation program (100 hours)

Non-Clinical Volunteering (150 hours):
-Volunteering with families of children who are receiving treatment at a hospital in my city (also this is definitely non-clinical just to clarify but I don't want to go into too much detail for anonymity purposes)

Shadowing:
-50 hours (primary care, internal medicine, psychiatry, and endocrinology)

LOR's:
-I have 6 letters, 2 science (1 I TA'd for), 2 major professors (1 I TA'd for and 1 was my supervisor when I was an advisor), 2 physicians (1 is my current PI and 1 I scribed for and shadowed for over a year). Will be sent through my undergraduate committee as a letter packet.

Additional comments:
-From California (yikes..I know)
-Financially disadvantaged
-1st generation and immigrant

Things that I believe will improve my application that I want to try to do:
-I will for sure be continuing with non-clinical volunteering, I moved recently so I have to find a new organization but I was thinking of something like the boys and girls club
-I am continuing part-time now (as of Jan since I moved) with my research as project manager but done remotely. I was planning on continuing this until the summer and possibly finding some other part time medically related paid employment afterwards during the actual application year.
-Adding my hobbies into my application: photography, community gardening, reading (started a book club)
-Maybe taking some additional courses to boost my sGPA and showing an upward trend. Was thinking of a DIY post-bacc style, taking maybe 4-6 courses at a community college (is this okay? Do these have to be at a 4-year?). The only thing is I wouldn’t be able to start the classes until the summer possibly so I don’t know if I would be able to show the improvement in grades when I start submitting the primary...

I don’t think my school list was that great, mainly due to the fact that I didn’t get great advice from my pre-med counselor, they suggested I add many schools I was at the 10th percentile or they don’t accept many OOS students. I am more aware of that now for sure. Also applied to some reach CA schools just as a dream but will likely be keeping all of the CA ones (gotta still shoot my shot).

Albert Einstein
California University
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin
Cooper
Drexel
Emory
Frank H. Netter MD at Quinnipiac
George Washington
Georgetown
Kaiser
Keck at USC
Lewis Katz at Temple University
Loyola University
New York Medical College
Pennsylvania State
Rush Medical College
Rutgers New Jersey
Seton Hall-Hackensack Meridian
Sidney Kimmel Thomas Jefferson University
SUNY Downstate
Tufts
Tulane
University of Arizona - Phoenix
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UC Riverside
UCSD
UCSF
University of Illinois
University of Maryland
University of Miami
University of Pittsburgh
Virginia Commonwealth
Wayne State

I think I will be adding DO schools for this cycle as well, any suggestions on ones that are good fit for me would also be helpful!

Any advice on what I should do to do improve or a better school list would be super helpful! Thank you I’m advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

You have a great application. Crazy you didn't get any interviews even though your sGPA is low. DO will definitely be a good route. I thought your school list seems pretty good actually. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, one of the biggest issues is the fact that you had to retake your MCAT and only saw a slight improvement in your score. While your GPA isn't necessarily low, it is lower than the average (average GPA for accepted students is a 3.7). Still, you have very good extracurriculars so I am surprised you didn't receive any IIs this cycle. You can take some post-bac classes, but you need to be sure you can do well in them. Apart from that, I would add some "lower tier" schools to your MD list. Use MSAR to sort by MCAT and decide based on those.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a great application. Crazy you didn't get any interviews even though your sGPA is low. DO will definitely be a good route. I thought your school list seems pretty good actually. Good luck!

Thank you!! Hopefully being a reapplicant with improvements will show my persistence and land me some interviews next cycle. Definitely want to boost the sGPA too just to show I’m aware of me weaknesses.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, one of the biggest issues is the fact that you had to retake your MCAT and only saw a slight improvement in your score. While your GPA isn't necessarily low, it is lower than the average (average GPA for accepted students is a 3.7). Still, you have very good extracurriculars so I am surprised you didn't receive any IIs this cycle. You can take some post-bac classes, but you need to be sure you can do well in them. Apart from that, I would add some "lower tier" schools to your MD list. Use MSAR to sort by MCAT and decide based on those.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Thank you so much! I was disappointed in my MCAT score as well as I was scoring around 512 on my practice tests, but didn’t want to retake to run the risk of scoring lower. I think I feel pretty confident I can do well in classes, so I think a boost in my sGPA will show I’m aware of my weakness and have been working on them as a reapplicant. Hoping to get some interviews next cycle!

Hello all,

This was my first application cycle and its looking like I will have to reapply as I haven’t received any II this round. I applied to 35 schools and still waiting to hear from 18 schools but as it’s nearing the end of January with no II, I’m aware I’m looking at the strong chance of a reapplication.

GPA: 3.61 GPA, 3.48 sGPA
Don’t really have an upward trend. I received one D in O Chem 1 which sort of tanked my sGPA as I wasn't a Biology major and there weren't many other courses contributing to this GPA, but I received an A- when I retook it and an A in O Chem 2 and even received a LOR from the professor. All other science courses were above B+. I also have 1 C from a community college course (economics) that I took back in high school in (so hopefully this isn't really scrutinized as it was almost 7 years ago before starting college).

MCAT: 1st take: 506 (126/127/123/130), 2nd take: 509 (127/128/125/129)

EC's:
-4+ years of sustained research, working with veterans (and with the university of a T10 medical school), have been promoted twice (started out as a volunteer and am now a full-time project manager), will have 4 poster presentations (2 1st author, 2 2nd author), and 1 paper (3rd author). Will likely have more posters/publications by the time of re-application.
-TA'd for 4 different courses for 2 1/2 years
-Peer advisor for 1 year for my major
-Secretary of my sorority for 1 year

Clinical Volunteering (350 hours):
-Homeless shelter clinic volunteer for 1 year (100 hours)
-Women's health group at homeless shelter volunteer (50 hours)
-Medical scribing as a volunteer (100 hours)
-Volunteer coordinating of a smoking cessation program (100 hours)

Non-Clinical Volunteering (150 hours):
-Volunteering with families of children who are receiving treatment at a hospital in my city (also this is definitely non-clinical just to clarify but I don't want to go into too much detail for anonymity purposes)

Shadowing:
-50 hours (primary care, internal medicine, psychiatry, and endocrinology)

LOR's:
-I have 6 letters, 2 science (1 I TA'd for), 2 major professors (1 I TA'd for and 1 was my supervisor when I was an advisor), 2 physicians (1 is my current PI and 1 I scribed for and shadowed for over a year). Will be sent through my undergraduate committee as a letter packet.

Additional comments:
-From California (yikes..I know)
-Financially disadvantaged
-1st generation and immigrant

Things that I believe will improve my application that I want to try to do:
-I will for sure be continuing with non-clinical volunteering, I moved recently so I have to find a new organization but I was thinking of something like the boys and girls club
-I am continuing part-time now (as of Jan since I moved) with my research as project manager but done remotely. I was planning on continuing this until the summer and possibly finding some other part time medically related paid employment afterwards during the actual application year.
-Adding my hobbies into my application: photography, community gardening, reading (started a book club)
-Maybe taking some additional courses to boost my sGPA and showing an upward trend. Was thinking of a DIY post-bacc style, taking maybe 4-6 courses at a community college (is this okay? Do these have to be at a 4-year?). The only thing is I wouldn’t be able to start the classes until the summer possibly so I don’t know if I would be able to show the improvement in grades when I start submitting the primary...

I don’t think my school list was that great, mainly due to the fact that I didn’t get great advice from my pre-med counselor, they suggested I add many schools I was at the 10th percentile or they don’t accept many OOS students. I am more aware of that now for sure. Also applied to some reach CA schools just as a dream but will likely be keeping all of the CA ones (gotta still shoot my shot).

Albert Einstein
California University
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin
Cooper
Drexel
Emory
Frank H. Netter MD at Quinnipiac
George Washington
Georgetown
Kaiser
Keck at USC
Lewis Katz at Temple University
Loyola University
New York Medical College
Pennsylvania State
Rush Medical College
Rutgers New Jersey
Seton Hall-Hackensack Meridian
Sidney Kimmel Thomas Jefferson University
SUNY Downstate
Tufts
Tulane
University of Arizona - Phoenix
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UC Riverside
UCSD
UCSF
University of Illinois
University of Maryland
University of Miami
University of Pittsburgh
Virginia Commonwealth
Wayne State

I think I will be adding DO schools for this cycle as well, any suggestions on ones that are good fit for me would also be helpful!

Any advice on what I should do to do improve or a better school list would be super helpful! Thank you I’m advance :)
A lot of donations on the list. More later.

Wow you’re app is surprisingly similar to mine in terms of EC’s and school list. It’s probably your stats plus being from Cali that’s holding you back. I believe the average mcat and gpa for a accepted applicant from Cali is a 513 and 3.7. This state produces so many premeds that it’s crazy hard to land a seat at a OOS school let alone a IS school, especially when so many applicants have a 3.7+ and 515+ mcat . I think your best bet is to raise your gpa to a 3.7. A higher mcat would be immensely helpful but a retake is very risky. This process is a total crapshoot, especially when you can’t rely on your state schools.

Just as an add-on, definitely add some schools you didn't apply to this cycle for your potential reapp. I'm a reapplicant this cycle and all but one of my interviews are from schools I'm applying to for the first time. Best of luck!!

Wow you’re app is surprisingly similar to mine in terms of EC’s and school list. It’s probably your stats plus being from Cali that’s holding you back. I believe the average mcat and gpa for a accepted applicant from Cali is a 513 and 3.7. This state produces so many premeds that it’s crazy hard to land a seat at a OOS school let alone a IS school, especially when so many applicants have a 3.7+ and 515+ mcat . I think your best bet is to raise your gpa to a 3.7. A higher mcat would be immensely helpful but a retake is very risky. This process is a total crapshoot, especially when you can’t rely on your state schools.

Yes I agree that being from CA totally sucks only in this regard!! I also agree retaking my MCAT is more risky than taking additional courses to boost my GPA and show an upward trend.

Just as an add-on, definitely add some schools you didn't apply to this cycle for your potential reapp. I'm a reapplicant this cycle and all but one of my interviews are from schools I'm applying to for the first time. Best of luck!!

Yes definitely planning on adding some new schools! There were many schools I cut out so I didn’t have a super long list but will be adding them back in to replace the schools that didn’t make sense for me to apply to.

I suggest these schools when you reapply
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Georgetown
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton
TCU UNT
UC Davis
UC Irvine
California University
Kaiser
Also apply to at least 8 DO schools and I suggest these
Western
TUCOM-CA
AZCOM
TUNCOM
MU-COM
CCOM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools when you reapply
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Georgetown
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton
TCU UNT
UC Davis
UC Irvine
California University
Kaiser
Also apply to at least 8 DO schools and I suggest these
Western
TUCOM-CA
AZCOM
TUNCOM
MU-COM
CCOM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)

Thank you so much!! I appreciate your help! :)

I think MCAT retake is the best course of action before re-application. If you can get above a 515, I will bet all my bananas that you will get an MD acceptance. However, there is risk involved which can be mitigated through taking full-lengths. If you choose not to retake your MCAT, make sure to apply DO as backup. In addition, I’m surprised you got 0, zilch, interviews with your application. Have someone look over personal statement and secondaries. Someone who can give honest constructive feedback.

I think MCAT retake is the best course of action before re-application. If you can get above a 515, I will bet all my bananas that you will get an MD acceptance. However, there is risk involved which can be mitigated through taking full-lengths. If you choose not to retake your MCAT, make sure to apply DO as backup. In addition, I’m surprised you got 0, zilch, interviews with your application. Have someone look over personal statement and secondaries. Someone who can give honest constructive feedback.

Thank you so much for your advice!! I don’t think I want to go in the direction of MCAT retake just because I’m scared of doing worse or only increasing a minimal amount. I was getting 512-515 on my full lengths prior but ended up with a 509.

I think I’m going to take a few classes to boost my sGPA to show an upward trend, hopefully this will help!

Yes I’ve had quite a few people tell they were surprised I didn’t get any interviews and so was I a little bit even though my stars are on the lower end I felt confident with my EC’s and LOR’s. But hey I just gotta keep going until I get there!

Will definitely be applying to DO as well! And planning on rewriting all my essays and having several trusted people read through them!

Thank you so much for your advice!! I don’t think I want to go in the direction of MCAT retake just because I’m scared of doing worse or only increasing a minimal amount. I was getting 512-515 on my full lengths prior but ended up with a 509.

I think I’m going to take a few classes to boost my sGPA to show an upward trend, hopefully this will help!

Yes I’ve had quite a few people tell they were surprised I didn’t get any interviews and so was I a little bit even though my stars are on the lower end I felt confident with my EC’s and LOR’s. But hey I just gotta keep going until I get there!

Will definitely be applying to DO as well! And planning on rewriting all my essays and having several trusted people read through them!
Are you already taking classes? Only reason I didn't recommend GPA improvement was because it's already January and most colleges have started. I feel you on the MCAT retake - I had the time to retake my 508, but I chose not to. However, that limited my options to DO with my cGPA/sGPA - and of course MD>DO when it comes to matching to a competitive residency. Feel free to take a gap year from applications if you need to.

Are you already taking classes? Only reason I didn't recommend GPA improvement was because it's already January and most colleges have started. I feel you on the MCAT retake - I had the time to retake my 508, but I chose not to. However, that limited my options to DO with my cGPA/sGPA - and of course MD>DO when it comes to matching to a competitive residency. Feel free to take a gap year from applications if you need to.

Thankfully I was able to sign up for some spring courses at my local CC starting in a few weeks! I’m trying to take 2-3 classes now and with my calculations it would boost my sGPA to at least above a 3.5 If I get A’s so I think this will help!! I’ll probably take some in summer and fall too and send updates

I recommend:
U VM
U Toledo
Rush
NYMC (maybe)
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
MCW
SLU
WVU
Wayne State
Tulane
Loyola
Wake Forest
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
VCU
Netter
Seton Hall
EVMS
Oakland-B
Gtown
GWU
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
UCD
UCI
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire
Kasier
Cal U MED
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites.

Also, target MD schools on the list above where your sGPA is > their 10th %ile. Get in more non-clinical volunteering.

I recommend:
U VM
U Toledo
Rush
NYMC (maybe)
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
MCW
SLU
WVU
Wayne State
Tulane
Loyola
Wake Forest
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
VCU
Netter
Seton Hall
EVMS
Oakland-B
Gtown
GWU
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
UCD
UCI
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire
Kasier
Cal U MED
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites.

Also, target MD schools on the list above where your sGPA is > their 10th %ile. Get in more non-clinical volunteering.

thank you so much!! I appreciate it! I will definitely be continuing my non-clinical volunteering as well!

You seem to be a solid applicant and I ditto what everyone else is saying. Only thing I would suggest (I think it goes without saying) is too maybe look at your personal statement and Secondaries over again, with perhaps a rewrite in mind.

You seem to be a solid applicant and I ditto what everyone else is saying. Only thing I would suggest (I think it goes without saying) is too maybe look at your personal statement and Secondaries over again, with perhaps a rewrite in mind.
Thank you so much!! I appreciate that! Will definitely be re-writing everything and having multiple eyes look at everything as well.

Hello everyone, thank you all for giving me advice! I just wanted to share that I ended up receiving an interview about a month ago, interviewed 2 weeks later, and just got an acceptance! I will not be reapplying after all! This process is so unpredictable but wow I am SO GRATEFUL!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Hello everyone, thank you all for giving me advice! I just wanted to share that I ended up receiving an interview about a month ago, interviewed 2 weeks later, and just got an acceptance! I will not be reapplying after all! This process is so unpredictable but wow I am SO GRATEFUL!
boom roasted. congrats future doc!

• Love
!!!!! omg congrats friend! You have been such a beacon of light throughout this cycle and I'm happy to see that your positivity and hard work has been rewarded!~

• Love
!!!!! omg congrats friend! You have been such a beacon of light throughout this cycle and I'm happy to see that your positivity and hard work has been rewarded!~
Thank you so much friend, it has been quite a journey but I am beyond grateful!! :) Sending you many good vibes! I’m no expert but please let me know if I can ever be of help!!

Thank you so much friend, it has been quite a journey but I am beyond grateful!! :) Sending you many good vibes! I’m no expert but please let me know if I can ever be of help!!
I thought my cycle was over until an MD II came out of no where.

• Love
I thought my cycle was over until an MD II came out of no where.
OMG congrats!!!! That’s amazing!! Really just shows how unpredictable this whole process is, we don’t ever actually know what is going on hahahah

• Haha