Looking at military options as physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gatewayhoward

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have a specific question really, I'm returning to college to make my way up to MD/DO, currently I'm a paramedic. I was looking at military medicine as an option, not just because they pay for med school. I hear alot of negativity about it. My father who's ex army tried to discourage me from it, so did my buddy who's also ex military. But neither of which are physicians. Does anyone experienced have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Read through old posts in this forum. Do a search on posts by authors Galo, Milmed and IslandDoc, among others - they are some former military physicians who were rather dissatisfied with their experiences (although I don't think any of them were army).

Most (if not all) of the former military physicians who post here have quite a negative take on their service and military medicine. Keep in mind, though, that almost by definition, any satisfied physician would not see the need to post in a student's forum to "warn others" - there are many physicians that I have worked with (I'm a current med student) who were / are quite happy (in balance) about their jobs.

As always, take everything you read (ncluding my stuff) with a grain of salt.

Addendum: also read through the entire 'sticky' threads entitled pros and cons of military medicine - they should be a good starting point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the best case for HPSP might be if you were single and going to a very expensive medical school. If you don't mind being deployed and having to put up with red tape it can be a rewarding experience. Go to a military medical facility and shadow someone for a week and decide for yourself what you want to do. Meet with the chief resident and/or program director and ask them what they think.

MeBen said:
. . . but I still love the Guard and won't leave. Thats is why I am staying. If I was just doing it to pay for MED school I would go active or find a different way to pay.

A good reason to consider FAP. Investigate.

IgD said:
I think the best case for HPSP might be if you were single and going to a very expensive medical school. .

What do you guys consider expensive??

Dental school for me looks like it may cost $250,000 - $350,000+... Hell, USC is going to be ~$330,000/4 years..

I guess I'm not quite sure what med school costs, all I know is that D-school is often much more..

IgD said:
I think the best case for HPSP might be if you were single and going to a very expensive medical school. If you don't mind being deployed and having to put up with red tape it can be a rewarding experience. Go to a military medical facility and shadow someone for a week and decide for yourself what you want to do. Meet with the chief resident and/or program director and ask them what they think.

In the future you may become a highly paid married doctor who wished that you took out the loan. It is a long journey filled with sacrifices to become a military physicians. Make sure you are aware of them and be comfortable.

USAF_Dentman said:

Dental school for me looks like it may cost $250,000 - $350,000+... Hell, USC is going to be ~$330,000/4 years..

I guess I'm not quite sure what med school costs, all I know is that D-school is often much more..

bump

USAF_Dentman said:

At first, I thought, "How can Dental school cost $330,000 for 4 years???" But then I went onto USC's dental school site and my jaw dropped when I saw the $55,347 annual tuition for years 1-3 !!! I don't know of ANY medical school that is this expensive! Even most private DO schools, which tend to be on the higher end of the tuition spectrum, charge around $36,000 per year.

The amount of tuition for a lot of these professional programs is getting ridiculous! I understand that Dentists make good money, but IMO not THAT good for the amount of debt that will be incurred at some of these schools!