Looking Back, Q's to assist the pre-pods

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gents -
A few questions for those in residency who have basically culminated the pre-pod, educate-the-future-pod, and residency-pod sequences...

1. Are your initial pre-pod worries dissipating?
  2. How do you feel about the job market (any notes about geographic areas would be helpful)?
  3. Have you established the training and experiences that will allow you to hit the ground running?
  4. Have you been able to establish connections and internetwork so when you do enter the workforce you can minimize the a$$ pain of transitioning?
  5. As a pod entering the work force do you feel that you have freedom to maneuver to your area of choice or pigeon holed for your first few initial years...
  6. Do you feel a severe financial burden between your accumulated loans and estimated income? (above the obvious pain)
  7. Any additional words of wisdom or sage advice? Any particular things you wish you did differently in school (ie preparing for residency, networking in future job location, school decision that you would now recommend, not recommend based on experience, a particular class that was painful but very necessary, etc....)
Thanks!
please instant message me if you have any particulars you want to share offline or want to verbally flog me for my lack of experience!:hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

These are great questions....someone answer !!

Anybody?...anybody.... Feli? Jonwill? Bueller?

Perhaps I should have posted in the POD Student arena... perhaps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to say this...Every time I see a post from you and that picture of yours, I have Europe's 'The Final Countdown' playing in my head. Thanks.

Gents -
A few questions for those in residency who have basically culminated the pre-pod, educate-the-future-pod, and residency-pod sequences...

1. Are your initial pre-pod worries dissipating?
  2. How do you feel about the job market (any notes about geographic areas would be helpful)?
  3. Have you established the training and experiences that will allow you to hit the ground running?
  4. Have you been able to establish connections and internetwork so when you do enter the workforce you can minimize the a$$ pain of transitioning?
  5. As a pod entering the work force do you feel that you have freedom to maneuver to your area of choice or pigeon holed for your first few initial years...
  6. Do you feel a severe financial burden between your accumulated loans and estimated income? (above the obvious pain)
  7. Any additional words of wisdom or sage advice? Any particular things you wish you did differently in school (ie preparing for residency, networking in future job location, school decision that you would now recommend, not recommend based on experience, a particular class that was painful but very necessary, etc....)
Thanks!
please instant message me if you have any particulars you want to share offline or want to verbally flog me for my lack of experience!:hardy:

1 - I really never had too many "pre-pod" worries. I saw some stuff on the web that made a little nervous but I knew too many pods that were doing well. Overall, these concerns are from a different era.

2 - The job market is great. Guys from my program have been going exactly where they want to.

3 and 4 - I'm getting great training. Not every program is a "top" program but I think most will give you more than sufficient training. I think going to the real world will be a big transition from residency but I'm being given all of the tools now.

5 - With the training I'm getting, I feel like I can pretty much go wherever I want. As before stated, all of the residents before me are going to the place of there choice and I don't think it will be any different for me.

6 - Loans suck but I don't really feel burdened. I'll make more than enough to pay them and still make a good living.

7 - Training, training, training. It's ALL ABOUT TRAINING. Unlike the advice I often see concerning schools where you are told to go where "you feel the most comfortable" or where "you feel you best fit in", go where you can get the absolute best training. Wherever that is, GO!!! It is only three years of your life. For the most part, the training you receive (and little of anything else) will determine the rest of your career and the options that you will later have.

I just wanted to say this...Every time I see a post from you and that picture of yours, I have Europe's 'The Final Countdown' playing in my head. Thanks.

Crhoody12,
before I sit down and type I listen to FINAL COUNTDOWN and it puts me in the mood for MAGIC!

Gob: "My God. What is this feeling?"
Michael: "You know, the feeling that you're feeling is just what many of us call ... a 'feeling.'
Gob: "It's not like envy, or even hungry."
Michael: "Could it be love?"
Gob: "I know what an erection feels like, Michael. No, it's the opposite -- it's like my heart is getting hard."

-for those of you who haven't seen arrested development... i highly recommend it....:laugh: