Looking everywhere for an intern position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulRxStudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my first year of pharmacy school and have been looking everywhere for an intern position in most retail stores (Walgreens, CVS, etc) and grocery stores (Kroger, publix etc) with no luck at all. I've mostly applied online but as that didn't work out I started calling the locations where the website said positions were open and was told that there were no positions available. I'm going to school in the Atlanta area and was wondering if anyone else has had the same kind of experience or if anyone has any advice as to what else I could do, and also where I could get the contact information for the district manager. I'm looking to also work there during the school year.

Members don't see this ad.

are you opposed to starting off as a tech? ...bc applying as a tech made my search easier but then again Im not in the Atlanta area so I dont know what the market is like for tech positions there

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep applying and wait. That's what I did. I used to be in a real panic when I couldn't find a job. But everything will be ok. In my experience, CVS/Wags/Rite aid would not accept you as tech if you're already an intern or holding intern license. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
are you opposed to starting off as a tech? ...bc applying as a tech made my search easier but then again Im not in the Atlanta area so I dont know what the market is like for tech positions there

I believe you can't be a tech if you have an active intern license, not completely sure though... will definitely have to look into that one!

You need to ask your classmates and upperclassmen with jobs if their places are hiring so they can refer you

I don't really know that many upperclassmen and most of my classmates have gone back home for the summer, which has made the search harder

Keep applying and wait. That's what I did. I used to be in a real panic when I couldn't find a job. But everything will be ok. In my experience, CVS/Wags/Rite aid would not accept you as tech if you're already an intern or holding intern license. Good luck.

How long did the process take for you? Did you get a job as an intern?

How far away from campus are these pharmacies that you applied for?

I believe you can't be a tech if you have an active intern license, not completely sure though... will definitely have to look into that one!

If you go with a retail store, you'll want to be an intern. Most hospitals around here only have "tech" positions, but you can absolutely be a tech even if you have an intern license.

How far away from campus are these pharmacies that you applied for?

They are mostly around 15 - 30 minutes, I also tried to apply in North Carolina but I figured it would be better to stay around here if I wanted to work during the school year too

If you go with a retail store, you'll want to be an intern. Most hospitals around here only have "tech" positions, but you can absolutely be a tech even if you have an intern license.

Would you suggest to apply to a hospital instead of retail stores?

Grady and CHoA (all branches) often have prn/per diem tech/intern positions open. I know for a fact that Scottish Rite was looking for several new hires just two weeks ago. Best of luck!

There are plenty of pharmacies in that area that would love to have an intern. What you need to do is go to the pharmacy and ask to speak with the pharmacy manager. If there isn't a position open in their particular store, ask him/her to fax your resume to the pharmacy supervisor so you can get placed at a store that needs extra help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied literally everywhere. I got job when I was in 2nd year, which was pretty late, imo. Hospital will hire you as tech, but some big hospital will have intern position as well. I'm working at hospital now bc the money is good.

They are mostly around 15 - 30 minutes, I also tried to apply in North Carolina but I figured it would be better to stay around here if I wanted to work during the school year too

Reason why you're having no luck is because you're applying to pharmacies that are too close to campus. Try shooting for at least 30+ minutes away or at least 30-40 miles away from any pharmacy school. You'll have less competition with the other students in your school as well as from other schools.

Would you suggest to apply to a hospital instead of retail stores?

I guess that kinda depends on you. My personal experience, and the general consensus is that hospital (and independent retail) is less stress, but it's kind of a going nowhere job unless you get really lucky. Retail stores are better about offering jobs to their interns at the end. So if you plan to do a clinical residency, then hospital may be your better choice. If you want to go straight into retail and make decent money right after school, then one of the chains will be your best bet.

I have room for 2 interns starting in the fall but I'm in Massachusetts. Any interest from anyone else feel free to get in touch. This is with CVS

I also was in a saturated area with no pharmacy experience. Since I needed intern hours and wanted to start right away, I ended up volunteering with an independent pharmacy. I ended up being paid later and then later moving into a hospital position later on, but for hospital usually the earlier you get in the better because they have to invest more training into you and prefer first years. It depends on what your goals are as mentioned by others.

The best way to get a job is to walk into the store and ask if they are hiring with a resume in hand, even if the application is online. That's why I did and I was essentially hired before I ever submitted my online application. Talk to the pharmacist/manager in person and follow through with the application process. Be proactive.

Get into your car and just start driving around to pharmacies, even multiple pharmacies in the same chain if one says they are not hiring. Hitting submit online and waiting for a phone call will not yield the best results.

As a previous poster mentioned, getting in contact with a district manager isn't a bad idea either if you get really desperate - surely they will have an opening in 1 of the 20+ stores that they oversee.

Last edited:
Grady and CHoA (all branches) often have prn/per diem tech/intern positions open. I know for a fact that Scottish Rite was looking for several new hires just two weeks ago. Best of luck!

Thank you! Will look into it

Reason why you're having no luck is because you're applying to pharmacies that are too close to campus. Try shooting for at least 30+ minutes away or at least 30-40 miles away from any pharmacy school. You'll have less competition with the other students in your school as well as from other schools.

I have started looking into other cities that are not too far from here, thank you!

I guess that kinda depends on you. My personal experience, and the general consensus is that hospital (and independent retail) is less stress, but it's kind of a going nowhere job unless you get really lucky. Retail stores are better about offering jobs to their interns at the end. So if you plan to do a clinical residency, then hospital may be your better choice. If you want to go straight into retail and make decent money right after school, then one of the chains will be your best bet.

I guess I'll start with retail and see if I can do a hospital internship next year. Thank you for your advice!

I also was in a saturated area with no pharmacy experience. Since I needed intern hours and wanted to start right away, I ended up volunteering with an independent pharmacy. I ended up being paid later and then later moving into a hospital position later on, but for hospital usually the earlier you get in the better because they have to invest more training into you and prefer first years. It depends on what your goals are as mentioned by others.

Thank you so much, this is all great information!

The best way to get a job is to walk into the store and ask if they are hiring with a resume in hand, even if the application is online. That's why I did and I was essentially hired before I ever submitted my online application. Talk to the pharmacist/manager in person and follow through with the application process. Be proactive.

Get into your car and just start driving around to pharmacies, even multiple pharmacies in the same chain if one says they are not hiring. Hitting submit online and waiting for a phone call will not yield the best results.

As a previous poster mentioned, getting in contact with a district manager isn't a bad idea either if you get really desperate - surely they will have an opening in 1 of the 20+ stores that they oversee.

That's what I've been doing these past few days, and have gotten good and bad responses but something has to work for sure. Thank you!