Looking for a Job...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr_almondjoy_do

So Very Happy to Be Here!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to look for work now for July 2009 :scared:

Anyone looking too? Are you getting 100000000000 emails a day from Recruiters? How are you dealing with it?

Please reply! :eek:

(This is a really exciting time, makes the nights on call not so horrible. lol :laugh:)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting to look for work now for July 2009 :scared:

Anyone looking too? Are you getting 100000000000 emails a day from Recruiters? How are you dealing with it?

Please reply! :eek:

(This is a really exciting time, makes the nights on call not so horrible. lol :laugh:)

i just graduated and have signed. just remember, this is a buyer's market. if you were trained well and you are confident in your abilities to produce, you should have no problem. FM clinics are most concerned with "fit" with the other providers more than anything. If you portray yourself as fun, energetic and eager to grow your practice, they will be after you.

i would generally ignore all the recruiter emails you get. i got in the habit of deleting them automatically. they recieve a hefty commision (which in the end comes out of YOUR initial paycheck). You have much more leverage w/ negotiating salaries if you found the job (for the most part) on your own.

Your best bet is to decide on where you want to practice. Once you have a geographic location down, start searching on the internet for all the different FM Clinics in that area. Word of mouth is KEY. Talk to friends in the area and find grads from your residency practicing in that area since they will be inclined to reach out to you. Group them into 1) small private practice 2) public hospital clinic network 3) non-profit organization (usually owned and run by a board) 4) larger private (for profit) multi-specialty networks 5) community health centers.

For the larger organizations and some private practices, find their website. Many will have a link for "provider jobs" or employment opportunities. Then start sending out emails or calls to the various clinics you may be interested in to see if they are hiring or anticipate having any openings next year. Also if you find the big university program's website in the area, they many times have practice job listings in the area (since recruiters know that new grads will look there).

I would recommend starting this seriously at the end of this year or even Feb-March of next year. Schedule a light elective month in Feb or March and do your interviews in bunches. If someone wants you they will be quick to offer you a contract, so it's nice it get them all at similar times. Most come with a 2 week signing time, but ask for at least 30 days (they will give it you. if they don't, it's a red flag). Good luck.

I"m getting many of the choice places for myself now through the recruiters. The places that I am applying to directly are not responding to me. Could it be that I'm too early? I'm not directly familiar with the areas, so that is why I chose to go the recruiter route.

The places I'm familiar with I am using word of mouth, and alumni referrals, but still no luck. I'm really anxious to start working in August 2009. I don't want to spend months unemployed after graduation, and that is the reality that many recent grads face.

Do you think I'm too early? Would the beginning of the year be better? I have phone interviews and in person interviews in the scheduling phase already.

Members don't see this ad :)
I"m getting many of the choice places for myself now through the recruiters. The places that I am applying to directly are not responding to me. Could it be that I'm too early? I'm not directly familiar with the areas, so that is why I chose to go the recruiter route.

The places I'm familiar with I am using word of mouth, and alumni referrals, but still no luck. I'm really anxious to start working in August 2009. I don't want to spend months unemployed after graduation, and that is the reality that many recent grads face.

Do you think I'm too early? Would the beginning of the year be better? I have phone interviews and in person interviews in the scheduling phase already.

"spend months unemployed after graduation..."

this is not the reality (or should not be). there is a huge shortage of FM Docs right now. i can't speak for your resume, but if you are decently strong and interview well, there is absolutely no reason to go jobless. we all started looking after December (i waited until May.. because I didn't want to start until September). My whole class had multiple job offers and signed a contract by March-April.

I do think you are a bit early. If there are job postings up right now, they likely don't want to wait an entire year for you to start. If you find a job opening 4-6 months before you graduate, that's perfect. Credentially takes a few months, and they would expect you to take 1-3 months off after you graduate anyways.

Make sure you have everything done so you look desirable. You should have your full time physician license by now. You can apply for your DEA number early next year if you like, but I would wait until you get some job offers and some places will pay for it for you if you ask. (remember, asking for things never hurts, because once they've offered a contract, they want you. you are like a baseball free agent). Sign up for boards right when it becomes availalbe early 2009 (the fee goes up alot the longer you wait).

Also, don't fear not having a job. This is your last time to travel and enjoy life before you start the grind of a full time job. There are TONS of locums jobs out there for short stents. (they pay really well). Work a month to cover for a practice and get paid 8-10K. You can live off that for a while.

Also, alot of urgent care's are open to FM residencies now. a few of my friends went that route. over 150K to work 7 out of 14 days, no call. just don't take the signing bonus, because you have to pay that back if you don't stay for 2 years while you find the "perfect" practice.

There are lots of options out there, I wouldn't stress it too much.

Yeah, lots of calls. If I express even a semblance of interest, they immediately demand my resume.

I've almost retorted some version of, "Bro, it's freaking JULY. You called me, remember? I'll have a resume rustled up for you in, like, February. For now, you'll just have to content yourself with the FBI file you clearly have on me."