Looking for a PGY-4 opening

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penandpaper

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for openings...

Members don't see this ad.

The APA clearinghouse almost never shows any PGY-IV positions. I guess most programs are used to losing PGY-IVs to child and are not dependent upon them for service needs. While it is very possible that a trainee’s life circumstances might necessitate relocation, many trainees seeking transfers have flaws that made their current training uncomfortable. I’m not suggesting that I know anything about your particular case. I’m just saying that the pool of transfer applicants tend to have complicated stories. I’m sure many times this has to do with spousal employment or family health, but even the most “malignant” programs have fairly easy PGY-IV years that don’t need running away from. Put simply, most programs missing a PGY-IV would rather not bother filling the position. I do hope things work out for you, I hope I’m wrong.

Are you speculating that the PGY-IV transfer pool bears a higher prevalence of personality disorders in addition to relocating spouses and family health concerns? Does the burdon of being "flaw bearing" always fall upon a resident, and not, a program? Do some residents not "transfer," or diversify their training experience in another setting and with another patient population, by virtue of a child fellowship? Alas, perhaps it is those very flaws that cause spousal job transfers and family health issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
Programs certainly have an infinite capacity to be flawed. What I’m suggesting is that even the most flawed socialite at a ball may choose not to dance because of the flaws they perceive in those around them. I think there is a capacity to take PGY-IV transfers; the hard part is convincing a program that they want to bother. If you can communicate a certain interest or skill set that would fit nicely into a program, doors will probably open.

You make a fair suggestion. One universal skill set programs might be tempted to harvest is known as, "paying into the system."

but even the most “malignant” programs have fairly easy PGY-IV years that don’t need running away from. Put simply, most programs missing a PGY-IV would rather not bother filling the position. I do hope things work out for you, I hope I’m wrong.

Incorrect assumption, speaking from experience.

pm me, I can suggest something