Looking for advice. 2.96 cumulative GPA, 2.76 science GPA, 25AA DAT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osMOLARity=D

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 2.96 overall, 2.76 science GPA.

I got a 25AA on the DAT:
PAT: 24
QR: 25
RC: 25
BIO: 26
CHEM: 25
OCHEM: 25

I know my GPA is really low, but my last 60 hours have been about a 3.7 and I think around 51 of them were science credits. My personal statement is pretty good and I'm pretty sure I have strong letters. 280 hours of shadowing, around 600 hours of volunteering and I was the Treasurer of a humanitarian organization on campus for two years. I'm applying to 20 schools total and I should be completely finished with supplemental applications in about a week. What do you think my chances are of at least 1 acceptance? Of 3? I'll copy and paste my list of schools below. I'm not taking any graduate classes this fall because I was hoping to wait and see if I get an acceptance in December. If not, I'll be taking classes during Spring 2019 towards a Masters in Biology degree with a focus in pre-health.

Houston
San Antonio
Dallas
Maryland
Marquette
Roseman
LECOM
Colorado
Tufts
Western
Rutgers
Temple
Oklahoma
VCU
Boston University
NYU
CASE Western
Touro
ASDOH
USC

Thanks so much for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 20180731_160232.jpg
    20180731_160232.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 312
Reactions: 1 user
Also I just want to add - if anyone is in a similar situation to where I was, please feel free to reach out to me privately. Hopefully I can help. I've had a lot of people in my life that helped me to overcome some rough times and the least I can do is pay it forward.

For reference, I had a 2.55 cumulative GPA through four and a half years of coursework so I had basically given up... it isn't easy to raise your GPA when you already have 130+ credits.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean you’ll land an acceptance, just make sure that some of your schools don’t have a GPA cutoff. Moreover, make sure they also don’t have a cutoff for certain grades in the prerequisite courses. (Some schools require a B/C or better in all pre-reqs).

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean you’ll land an acceptance, just make sure that some of your schools don’t have a GPA cutoff. Moreover, make sure they also don’t have a cutoff for certain grades in the prerequisite courses. (Some schools require a B/C or better in all pre-reqs).
Yea so I've been pretty thorough with checking on the requirements for all the schools I'm applying to, so I know that none of the schools on my list will just automatically reject me (hopefully). I really hope you're right though, I don't think I can stand another year of waiting lol... thanks a lot for your input.

Dude you're definitely getting in. Dental schools know that you acing your DAT proves you aren't the same person anymore and you are more academically mature. Your DAT, PS and letters are in a good position. You in fam. Just ace them interviews !!

Dude you're definitely getting in. Dental schools know that you acing your DAT proves you aren't the same person anymore and you are more academically mature. Your DAT, PS and letters are in a good position. You in fam. Just ace them interviews !!
I hope you're right brotha

I got a 25AA on the DAT:

I know my GPA is really low, but my last 60 hours have been about a 3.7 and I think around 51 of them were science credits. My personal statement is pretty good and I'm pretty sure I have strong letters. 280 hours of shadowing, around 600 hours of volunteering and I was the Treasurer of a humanitarian organization on campus for two years. I'm applying to 20 schools total and I should be completely finished with supplemental applications in about a week. What do you think my chances are of at least 1 acceptance? Of 3? I'll copy and paste my list of schools below. I'm not taking any graduate classes this fall because I was hoping to wait and see if I get an acceptance in December. If not, I'll be taking classes during Spring 2019 towards a Masters in Biology degree with a focus in pre-health.

Houston
San Antonio
Dallas
Maryland
Marquette
Roseman
LECOM
Colorado
Tufts
Western
Rutgers
Temple
Oklahoma
VCU
Boston University
NYU
CASE Western
Touro
ASDOH
USC

I had a 24 DAT and a little better GPA than you. I applied last cycle and had 2 interviews and 2 acceptances. I think it's possible, but not exactly a home run. I ended up getting a masters to help increase my GPA, which it seems like you may be doing too. PM me if you wanna talk more about it.

Good luck!

I had a slightly higher GPA over 3.0 and 25PAT/24TS/24AA last cycle (~1500 hours volunteering and 150 hours shadowing). Took DAT late Aug and all documents finalized in early Sept and was rejected to all of them without interviews. I had medical reasons for the first few years of low GPA as well, and there was a drastic GPA improvement in the record.

This cycle, I applied June 5th and have one interview so far. Most of the other schools I applied to did not start their interview invites yet.

Your timing will determine it, I think. Your timing is similar to mine the last cycle... but who knows, each individual is different. You should submit your application ASAP.

I had a slightly higher GPA over 3.0 and 25PAT/24TS/24AA last cycle (~1500 hours volunteering and 150 hours shadowing). Took DAT late Aug and all documents finalized in early Sept and was rejected to all of them without interviews. I had medical reasons for the first few years of low GPA as well, and there was a drastic GPA improvement in the record.

This cycle, I applied June 5th and have one interview so far. Most of the other schools I applied to did not start their interview invites yet.

Your timing will determine it, I think. Your timing is similar to mine the last cycle... but who knows, each individual is different. You should submit your application ASAP.

My experience has been seeing GPA TRUMP DAT. What I’m saying is that you are more likely to get accepted with a 3.6 and an 18 than a 2.5 and a 28AA. If you apply early enough, you may land some interviews. Just do really well and pray to God for the best.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users

Ahh gotcha, best of luck this cycle! I think having stuff finalized in September may have been what hurt you unfortunately. I submitted everything July 24th so hopefully that'll be alright.

Mind me asking how many schools you applied to?

I had a 24 DAT and a little better GPA than you. I applied last cycle and had 2 interviews and 2 acceptances. I think it's possible, but not exactly a home run. I ended up getting a masters to help increase my GPA, which it seems like you may be doing too. PM me if you wanna talk more about it.

Good luck!
Good luck! I really appreciate your response. How many schools did you apply to last cycle?

My experience has been seeing GPA TRUMP DAT. What I’m saying is that you are more likely to get accepted with a 3.6 and an 18 than a 2.5 and a 28AA. If you apply early enough, you may land some interviews. Just do really well and pray to God for the best.

Good luck!
Yea I get what you're saying, hopefully I get in at least 1 of the 20 schools I'm applying to though... I've checked and I don't think any of them have GPA/DAT cutoffs that I don't meet and according to the 2017-2018 ADEA guide book, most of the schools I've applied to have accepted students with lower GPAs than me. Thanks for replying!

Good luck! I really appreciate your response. How many schools did you apply to last cycle?
24 schools. Take off NYU and USC, they are just so expensive. Add in UNLV - you get in state tituiton after living in Nevada for the first year. Maybe I’ll see ya in a year

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to say increase your gpa first over the 3.0 mark... then you could have a better shot at really cheap schools. A lot of good schools have a 3.0 cut off. I mean I’m sure you’ll land interviews and maybe an acceptance but up to you dude!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

A good DAT just shows you can study well for an exam. A good GPA shows you can handle multiple classes at once and have good time management.

I had an admissions director from a dental school tell me anyone can pick up DAT study materials, study for 4 months, and do well on the DAT. Not everyone can get a good GPA with a high course load.

OP, your GPA is low but obtaining a high GPA your last 60 credits is very helpful. However, many schools will not offer an interview simply because your GPA is low. Your DAT is great and it does matter, and your ECs look great too, but make sure to apply broadly AND EARLY. If you get an interview make sure to practice and interview well.

Reactions: 5 users
Ahh gotcha, best of luck this cycle! I think having stuff finalized in September may have been what hurt you unfortunately. I submitted everything July 24th so hopefully that'll be alright.

Mind me asking how many schools you applied to?

That was probably the reason. I honestly did not plan to apply the last cycle until I saw my DAT score then went "hell with it." Mmmm... bad mistake.

I applied to 18 schools this time. Getting into one of them is good enough for me.

Good luck!

That a very strong statement. People can f up their GPA through 4 years of college, and study hardcore for 2 months and do pretty well on DAT, that doeasn't make them a new person, per se. I am not saying OP isn't, it's just that your statement was just too strong.

Apply broadly just in case. DAT is great, but sub 3.0 GPA might hold you back a little in getting interviews.

Just wanted to give everyone an update - I've had 5 interview offers so far this cycle: TAMU, Texas Tech, Nova, UDM and Maryland. Third time is the charm I guess lol. If anyone is curious, I think it's the masters degree I got that really made the difference. I got my masters in Biology and maintained around a 3.8, worked full time throughout the program as a research technician at Baylor College of Medicine, and hired a professional to help me with my essays. After finishing the masters, my science and overall GPA are JUST A HAIR over 3.0 which may have also contributed.

If there's any way I can help any of you, please let me know.

Reactions: 6 users
Just wanted to give everyone an update - I've had 5 interview offers so far this cycle: TAMU, Texas Tech, Nova, UDM and Maryland. Third time is the charm I guess lol. If anyone is curious, I think it's the masters degree I got that really made the difference. I got my masters in Biology and maintained around a 3.8, worked full time throughout the program as a research technician at Baylor College of Medicine, and hired a professional to help me with my essays. After finishing the masters, my science and overall GPA are JUST A HAIR over 3.0 which may have also contributed.

hey i tried to message you but says your profile is on private

Also had a 6th from MOSDOH.

Wow. Nice job. I did not notice the post started 2 years ago.

Very dedicated to dentistry. You deserve acceptances!

Wow. Nice job. I did not notice the post started 2 years ago.

Very dedicated to dentistry. You deserve acceptances!
I hope so! Waiting for decision day has been really painful but only 26 days to go!

Can't believe it's already been 2 years (Haven't really been checking here either...).

Good luck!!!

Just got interview #7 from UNLV!
good for you man, let us know how things go in December and where you decide to go. Posting your reasons too would be helpful for future generations too. Good Luck and Have a Great Thanksgiving

good for you man, let us know how things go in December and where you decide to go. Posting your reasons too would be helpful for future generations too. Good Luck and Have a Great Thanksgiving
Thank you, I'll be sure to do that. It was pretty difficult and stressful to find someone that was kind of in the same boat as me so I'd love to help in any way I can if I get accepted.

Accepted to Maryland and Detroit today :D really hoping to get accepted to a Texas school later on as well

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

I got a 25AA on the DAT:

Houston
San Antonio
Dallas
Maryland
Marquette
Roseman
LECOM
Colorado
Tufts
Western
Rutgers
Temple
Oklahoma
VCU
Boston University
NYU
CASE Western
Touro
ASDOH
USC

I'm honestly curious if you got accepted?? I also have a lower GPA with 1 semester left of undergrad and am set to take my DAT in 1 month...

I'm honestly curious if you got accepted?? I also have a lower GPA with 1 semester left of undergrad and am set to take my DAT in 1 month...
Yes I just got accepted to 2 schools like I mentioned above but it took me 3 application cycles. Just don't get down on yourself if you don't get in on the first try. Keep working hard and maybe work at a research job to improve your application.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
I'm happy for you, buddy.

Good luck in dental school and have fun!

Just a quick final update - my wife and I both got accepted to UNLV so that's where we'll be going in the fall =D

Just a quick final update - my wife and I both got accepted to UNLV so that's where we'll be going in the fall =D
wow nice and congrats to both of you. WIsh i have a girlfriend

wow nice and congrats to both of you. WIsh i have a girlfriend
Sorry for giving unsolicited advice but the best thing you can do for both yourself and your future girlfriend/wife is to focus on yourself and try to grow as much as possible =) good things will follow.

Hey man just a quick question I have oGPA of 3.18 and sGPA of 2.5 what do think of my chances had 21 DAT but aiming for higher when I retake.
I think you need to get it up to a 3.0 to have a real shot unfortunately. The 21 DAT is solid but if you can get it higher that would help a lot. Just make sure you have no other flaws in your application - you need strong shadowing and volunteering experiences along with compelling descriptions of what they meant to you. Also make sure you get your essays looked at by a professional if possible.

From one Persian prince to another, don’t lose hope. It may seem like it’s taking a long time to get to where you want to be, but once you get there you look back and everything is a blur. Time flies and you need to savor this journey.

Also I just want to add - if anyone is in a similar situation to where I was, please feel free to reach out to me privately. Hopefully I can help. I've had a lot of people in my life that helped me to overcome some rough times and the least I can do is pay it forward.

For reference, I had a 2.55 cumulative GPA through four and a half years of coursework so I had basically given up... it isn't easy to raise your GPA when you already have 130+ credits.
Hi I need help

Thank you, I'll be sure to do that. It was pretty difficult and stressful to find someone that was kind of in the same boat as me so I'd love to help in any way I can if I get accepted.
I'm kind of in the same boat but with no plans to do a masters. I'm applying this cycle. My undergrad courses were so old (~10years) I had to redo them anyway so I took 2 years of post bacc courses at night while working fulltime (+1 baby). I basically got straight As in my post bacc coursework (one b in a lab) and a competitive DAT score but we'll see what happens. I couldn't justify not applying.

I've looked into doing a master's but I'm not even sure what I would do. It's not a decision I can make lightly since I'm the breadwinner for my family with one 1.5 year old and another on the way. It's a choice I made for myself due to my age and fertility. It's been tough but I've excelled academically and I wouldn't have it any other way. I just don't have the same types of volunteer/experience/research hours as other people on this thread. Enough to satisfy requirements but not enough to wow admissions officers.

Getting into dental school is something I would definitely quit my job for and throw the whole family into 100% but getting a master's in something I'm not particularly keen about in order to up my chances of getting into dental school given how old my grades are seemed like a completely different ask.