Looking for advice on what implications does the following IA have

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ByThe+C

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
SDN,

I'm a freshman student and I recently received what I would consider an IA for a parking violation (received an in-house citation for parking in an administrative/staff space at around 8:00pm for approximately 15 minutes, can explain if necessary). Parking violations are, by university rules, considered a breach of student code of conduct.

I had to admit responsibility (the law doesn't sleep) and now I have a code of conduct record. The intervening officer did reassure me that it was a minor infraction and it would not appear on my academic transcript.

Now, if I understand correctly, this has to be reported and I understand that this will affect me negatively. I'm looking on what consequences does this,how will it affect my application (current GPA is within competitive range), and how to explain this to the adcoms a few years from now.

Thank you for your attention.

(URM but I don't think this matters in this case).

Members don't see this ad.

During the 15 minutes that you were in the space, was there a major emergency, e.g. there was a shooting in the building and your car blocked the staffer from parking and running into the building to fight off and take out the shooter with their bare hands, thus saving countless lives, like what President Bone Spurs would have done?

If so, you are doomed and will never ever see yourself being a MS1.

If not, then no worries. Just report the IA, explain it clearly and truthfully. It's not gonna be a big deal.

Reactions: 1 users
During the 15 minutes that you were in the space, was there a major emergency, e.g. there was a shooting in the building and your car blocked the staffer from parking and running into the building to fight off and take out the shooter with their bare hands, thus saving countless lives, like what President Bone Spurs would have done?

If so, you are doomed and will never ever see yourself being a MS1.

If not, then no worries. Just report the IA, explain it clearly and truthfully. It's not gonna be a big deal.

Thank you for your response, I was returning some overdue items to the Library. I was looking for advice on wording this for the more competitive schools that look for people with perfect (or near perfect) records.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just don't do it again and you will be fine.

Just explain: On DATE, I was returning blah blah to the library at TIME and parked in a parking space reserved for staff/admin. I was cited by the school cop. I am very apologetic for what occurred, learned my lesson, accepted responsibility for my actions, and have not done it again blah blah blah...

Short, sweet, and truthful.

Last edited:
Your school reports parking tickets as a code of conduct violation?! ouch!

I would assume this will have as much of an effect on your chances of medical school as any other parking ticket would - none!

No worries.

Now those overdue library books.... that's another issue all together...... :uhno:

SDN,

I'm a freshman student and I recently received what I would consider an IA for a parking violation (received an in-house citation for parking in an administrative/staff space at around 8:00pm for approximately 15 minutes, can explain if necessary). Parking violations are, by university rules, considered a breach of student code of conduct.

I had to admit responsibility (the law doesn't sleep) and now I have a code of conduct record. The intervening officer did reassure me that it was a minor infraction and it would not appear on my academic transcript.

Now, if I understand correctly, this has to be reported and I understand that this will affect me negatively. I'm looking on what consequences does this,how will it affect my application (current GPA is within competitive range), and how to explain this to the adcoms a few years from now.

Thank you for your attention.

(URM but I don't think this matters in this case).
Oh, for crying out loud!
These are probably the least significant of all possible IAs. It's a bleeping parking ticket!

Take two of these:
000090094.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Report it and get a chuckle from the adcoms. Really this would only be a problem if you somehow have a history of similar behavior. That might be viewed as not learning from mistakes or a sense of entitlement. But a campus parking ticket? Nah

OMG! I am so lucky I didn't get a code of conduct violation for using the faculty lavatory at my college 40 years ago. The President of the college (a nun) was waiting in line when I came out of the stall!!

OP, you're going to be fine.

Reactions: 5 users
OMG! I am so lucky I didn't get a code of conduct violation for using the faculty lavatory at my college 40 years ago. The President of the college (a nun) was waiting in line when I came out of the stall!!
OP, you're going to be fine.
While I am usually in the habit of making puns, I must confess that it would take me a month of Sundays to come up with one here .

Not nuns on the run, but nun had the runs...

Reactions: 3 users