Looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wathman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently wondering if I have a snowball's chance in hell of getting a PGY1 position since I've been out of the loop for a number of years now. I graduated from a foreign medical school back in 2006, though after 2 unsuccessful matches I went to work for an EMR company and do alright for myself, but it's not medicine.

The main reason why I never secured a position in the match is most likely because it took me 3 attempts to pass Step 1. I passed Step 2 on my first try, but I figure I was already in the "pass" pile of applicants because of my Step 1 performance. I would like to know if anyone would have input on how difficult it is these days to find a position in a residency program. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently wondering if I have a snowball's chance in hell of getting a PGY1 position since I've been out of the loop for a number of years now. I graduated from a foreign medical school back in 2006, though after 2 unsuccessful matches I went to work for an EMR company and do alright for myself, but it's not medicine.

The main reason why I never secured a position in the match is most likely because it took me 3 attempts to pass Step 1. I passed Step 2 on my first try, but I figure I was already in the "pass" pile of applicants because of my Step 1 performance. I would like to know if anyone would have input on how difficult it is these days to find a position in a residency program. Thanks!

Have you had any clinical experience since graduating? Many programs will not take someone who has been without clinical experience for more than 5 years. The three attempts to pass Step 1 will be a problem, too.

Plus, some states require that you pass Step 1, Step 2, and Step 3 within a certain amount of time - 7 years in some states. Unless you already took Step 3, you might not be able to fulfill that requirement either.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did 1 year sub-internship at a family medicine program after the first match that was just about 5 years ago now. I never took Step 3, so a time limit there would indeed be a problem. Seems like competing against newer graduates with better USMLE scores would be pretty futile at this point.

you may have to retake step 1, 2 and take step 3 before applying once youve waited enough to make your current scores ineligible .. and hopefully doing some clinical stuff in between those exams. otherwise, i dont think you have a chance..

You would need to retake all of your steps to be licensed.

Sorry, but don't think it's in the cards. Especially with the numbers of spots per new student decreasing.