Looking for another's perspective work/school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheZaLord

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I am writing because I need to make a tough decision for next year. I have heard some advice from family and friends, but none of them are really in the situation we are.

So, here's the thing. I am in a post bacc program, and struggled in my first chemistry class. I ended up with a C> Doing well in the other classes, but got a B in calculus. With the number of credits I was planning on taking, and when I want to apply, the highest I think I'll be able to get my GPA prior to first cycle is just above 3.7.
I know that's not terrible, but because of d**king around my first year or two of college, my cumulative GPA is not likely to eclipse 3.5

Basically, I've pretty much, nearly always been about a 3.5 student. Not terrible, but not great either. So, I've been considering what else I can do to be more competitive.

I am a therapist, with 4 years of experience working in the SNF/sub acute rehab setting, then switched to schools last year, working with children with developmental delays. So I have a good bit of clinical experience, I worked closely with nurses, and regularly consulted with physicians.

I struggled in school initially, I have a GED vs. diploma. But, went to college and graduated, first in my family to earn a degree. Then I earned a master's, also first there. I just add that, because I don't know if that part of "my story" would be interesting to touch on.

So, with these "metrics" in mind, I want to ensure I have a good chance of getting in.

Obviously a good MCAT score is "planned", but I can't what I anticipate just yet, I still need to take organic and physics...so I haven't done the practice tests, and I just don't know.

I've done well in chem 2 so far, on track for A. Should I re-take chem 1?

Also, the bigger decision- next year I could forego signing a contract with the school I work for currently, and instead of working full time here, take on more per diem work and pursue a research assistant position (or something along those lines) next year.

I'd like to try it, but logistically, the only way it will work is if I go down to part time, which is something I haven't done in a long time, and would likely need to make still further big lifestyle changes. Which I am perfectly willing to do. I'm just not sure how it affects my chances (given lack of MCAT info, etc).

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

So, with these "metrics" in mind, I want to ensure I have a good chance of getting in.
It's semantics, but I don't like when people say "good chance of getting it." There are people with high GPAs and MCATS who don't get in. Instead, look at the whole picture. Re-frame the question as "Am I a strong applicant?"

In that respect, yes, I feel that your story presents a lot to be valued by medical schools. Your current career choice displays great empathy as well as communication skills. You are a first generation college graduate and have a masters as well. AMCAS doesn't ask for high school diplomas, so don't feel down or concerned about that.

As for your C in Gen Chem. I assume you were working? It sounds like your struggle was due in part to the coursework but also adapting to classes while working full-time. How did you adapt after that experience? How did you grow? Med schools want to see that you can handle the rigor of med school classes. It's not about all about high end concepts, but simply the volume of knowledge expected to be learned.

If you can swing it and feel comfortable, keep your schedule as is. While the stress of balancing may be difficult, forcing lifestyle changes that make your quality of living lower may be more of a burden. As someone who also worked full-time while doing a post-bacc, I can tell you that it would have made the day much worse if I had not been able to come back to my nice comfy apartment and afford to go see a movie or grab drinks with friends.

For now, just work hard and start figuring out how you want to script your story for the PS. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
How good are you at standardized tests? Do you regularly score in the 90th percentile or above? (I know you had a rough start but have you written other standardized tests since getting serious about school?)

Assuming a good MCAT is likely, I would think you don't need to redo chem 1 since an A in chem 2 would show that you figured it out.

I would not give up the full-time job for per diem work + RA. Coordinating two jobs is hard, and will be even harder with school. I also think your current job makes for a much better story than research. Any way to stretch out your classes?

Also another factor is how hard it would be to get a contract if things don't work out. Personally I am really risk adverse, so I wasn't willing to quit my job. (But I didn't have to do a post bacc...) But if you know you'll get another job easily, then it's not as big of a risk. Hope these musings help.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, that's more what I meant, something that makes me a stronger applicant. I realize there are in no way any guarantees.

As for the C, yes, working full time+ (I worked some "per diem" jobs throughout, thinking a weekend here or there would be fine, and I liked putting extra in savings. But I've cut back considerably since then. Only work when the school I work for in on break now.)

Thank you for the advice. I really enjoy working with the kids, and while I am working toward something more, I'd like to see a couple of them through to the next level before I go.

As for whether I do well on standardized tests, I would say, overall, I think so.

The first one I took was the GED, I was in 96th percentile for that, I believe. I'll have to look to be sure, I have the break down somewhere. That may seem like small potatoes, but it wasn't as easy as one might think. Anyway, it was enough to earn me a full scholarship to the local community college, and fool that I was I declined it so I could "go away" to college, wanting to experience SOMETHING traditional in my education.

The ACT I did just "ok" on. I got a 26, the math portion was my worst part, having had little exposure to algebra and geometry. Science section was an "ok" score. But on the other sections, I got into the 30s. I don't remember the exact scores of each sub section, though.

Then, for the PRAXIS exam in my field, I got into the 90's- I want to say 94th, percentile. However, that's a very different type of test, as it is on your field of study only. Sort of like a board examination.

Haha, so...I guess the answer is "sometimes".

As for easily finding another job- in this area, there are ebbs and flows. Now that I am fully certified, it's been pretty easy. I could easily find work in skilled nursing again, but I prefer pediatrics, and that's a bit harder to get into. For one, there are three children's hospitals in the area, but no one ever leaves those jobs. And the schools usually only hire once per year.
I know of one district that is ALWAYS hiring, but that's because they're an absolute nightmare to work for, at least according to the other therapists I know (you kind of end up knowing most people, if not personally, then by reputation in this field).

Looks like I'll plan on making this work for now. I can stretch out the classes, but I also want to jump in and get going!

Thank you both!

Do you plan to apply to DO schools (either alone or along with MD schools)? If so, then retaking the gen chem class for an A is likely going to boost your GPA considerably and should be considered. If not, then you are probably better off taking higher level chem classes (so organic and biochem) and earning As in those. This is because AACOMAS replaces grades (so you'd replace your C with an A), while AMCAS averages them (so you'd replace your C with two Bs, not nearly as helpful).

Regarding work and MCAT prep, I would suggest doing whatever you need to do to give yourself enough study time to perform well. You basically have two options: work less and take a full load of classes, or work more and extend the time until you apply (take fewer classes at at time over more years). Either way, don't take more classes at a time than you can do well in. For a strong app, your grades are important, and your MCAT score is important. You already have several years of work experience; working more will not help your app nearly as much (though I understand completely that it will help your bottom line and that you enjoy doing it).

If you're reluctant to cut back on your work hours, consider this: you are going to take a huge initial financial hit regardless if you go to medical school, both because of the loans you will need to take out for school, and because of all those years of lost income that will pass while you're in training. People sometimes come on this site and ask if med school is "worth" all the sacrifices necessary to get into (and through) it. There's no right or wrong answer to that question. It depends on YOU and what YOU want out of life. Money certainly matters (which won't be contested by anyone who's ever not had any!). But it isn't the only thing that matters, and, I'd argue, it's not the most important thing that matters.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd say that if you think those other grades were flukes and you won't repeat grades like that again, take some higher level classes to prove both to yourself and AdComs you can do the course load. It sounds to me you, yourself, are fairly confident of that so it would probably be more to prove to AdComs than anything imo.

One C in a post-bac isn't going to sink you. So far, your GPAs are competitive. Do not retake Chem 1.

But I strongly suggest that from now on, you start acing things.

Good afternoon,

I am writing because I need to make a tough decision for next year. I have heard some advice from family and friends, but none of them are really in the situation we are.

So, here's the thing. I am in a post bacc program, and struggled in my first chemistry class. I ended up with a C> Doing well in the other classes, but got a B in calculus. With the number of credits I was planning on taking, and when I want to apply, the highest I think I'll be able to get my GPA prior to first cycle is just above 3.7.
I know that's not terrible, but because of d**king around my first year or two of college, my cumulative GPA is not likely to eclipse 3.5

Basically, I've pretty much, nearly always been about a 3.5 student. Not terrible, but not great either. So, I've been considering what else I can do to be more competitive.

I am a therapist, with 4 years of experience working in the SNF/sub acute rehab setting, then switched to schools last year, working with children with developmental delays. So I have a good bit of clinical experience, I worked closely with nurses, and regularly consulted with physicians.

I struggled in school initially, I have a GED vs. diploma. But, went to college and graduated, first in my family to earn a degree. Then I earned a master's, also first there. I just add that, because I don't know if that part of "my story" would be interesting to touch on.

Obviously a good MCAT score is "planned", but I can't what I anticipate just yet, I still need to take organic and physics...so I haven't done the practice tests, and I just don't know.

I've done well in chem 2 so far, on track for A. Should I re-take chem 1?

Also, the bigger decision- next year I could forego signing a contract with the school I work for currently, and instead of working full time here, take on more per diem work and pursue a research assistant position (or something along those lines) next year.

I'd like to try it, but logistically, the only way it will work is if I go down to part time, which is something I haven't done in a long time, and would likely need to make still further big lifestyle changes. Which I am perfectly willing to do. I'm just not sure how it affects my chances (given lack of MCAT info, etc).

Thoughts?