MD Looking for feedback for my list of schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idkididk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a senior and will be applying next year. I will be taking a gap year after I graduate, hopefully gaining more clinical experience. The GPAs are what I expect to graduate with.

Top 10 Biomedical Engineering program, with a minor in Biology.
NY Resident, Asian male
cGPA: ~3.6. sGPA: ~3.5.
I had 1 bad semester (~2.6) but the rest have been ~3.6+. Quite a few pre-req's were during that semester, hence the lower sGPA
MCAT: 34(14PS, 9VR, 11BS), 27 (10PS, 8VR, 9BS)
A few clinically relevant engineering projects

By the time I apply:
  • 1 year BME Senior Project
  • 1 summer as a research assistant at Harvard School of Dental Medicine for pathology research, no pubs
  • 1 semester of microfluidics research for global health applications, no pubs
  • ~ 3 years of clinical volunteering at a hospital. 200-250(?) hours
  • ~ 30 hours of shadowing, 2 specialized pediatricians
  • 2 years as Engineering Freshmen Advisor (lead weekly discussions during the fall semester when freshmen are still making their transition)
  • 2 years as Engineering Dean's Host
  • 1 year as Engineering Student Body Vice President, 2 years as Engineering Class Treasurer
  • 2 semesters as a Lab Teaching Assistant for System Physiology
  • Tau Beta Pi
  • Assuming good personal statement and LOR's.
My list of schools are primarily based on location and stats. Any that I should add/drop? Thanks!

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University
Boston University School of Medicine
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
Drexel University College of Medicine
Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University
New York Medical College
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Rush Medical College of Rush Univesity of Medical Center
State University of New York Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine
State University of New York Upstate Medical University
Stony Brook University of Medicine
Hofstra North Shore - LIJ School of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
University at Buffalo State University of New York School of Medicine & Biomedical Sciences
University of Massachusetts Medical School
University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
The Commonwealth Medical College
Tulane University School of Medicine
Temple University School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Currently a senior and will be applying next year. I will be taking a gap year after I graduate, hopefully gaining more clinical experience. The GPAs are what I expect to graduate with.

Top 10 Biomedical Engineering program, with a minor in Biology.
NY Resident, Asian male
cGPA: ~3.6. sGPA: ~3.5.
I had 1 bad semester (~2.6) but the rest have been ~3.6+. Quite a few pre-req's were during that semester, hence the lower sGPA
MCAT: 34(14PS, 9VR, 11BS), 27 (10PS, 8VR, 9BS)
A few clinically relevant engineering projects

By the time I apply:
  • 1 year BME Senior Project
  • 1 summer as a research assistant at Harvard School of Dental Medicine for pathology research, no pubs
  • 1 semester of microfluidics research for global health applications, no pubs
  • ~ 3 years of clinical volunteering at a hospital. 200-250(?) hours
  • ~ 30 hours of shadowing, 2 specialized pediatricians
  • 2 years as Engineering Freshmen Advisor (lead weekly discussions during the fall semester when freshmen are still making their transition)
  • 2 years as Engineering Dean's Host
  • 1 year as Engineering Student Body Vice President, 2 years as Engineering Class Treasurer
  • 2 semesters as a Lab Teaching Assistant for System Physiology
  • Assuming good personal statement and LOR's.
My list of schools are primarily based on location and stats. Any that I should add/drop? Thanks!

Albany Medical College
New York Medical College
University at Buffalo State University of New York School of Medicine & Biomedical Sciences
University of Massachusetts Medical School
Considering I haven't seen mention of dedicated nonmedical community service that helps those in need, Loyola, Georgetown, and Rush are not likely to be high yield inclusions. If you don't have a rural background or recent experience, remove Commonwealth in Pa. I assume you're a MA resident. You might add UVermont since you're OK with Buffalo.

Very good list! Suggest deleting U MA, replace with VCU, Va Tech, Wake Forest and/or U VT. GWU and G-town get so many apps that they're statistically harder to get into than Harvard, so suggest deleting those.

Albany Medical College
New York Medical College

Members don't see this ad :)
Considering I haven't seen mention of dedicated nonmedical community service that helps those in need, Loyola, Georgetown, and Rush are not likely to be high yield inclusions. If you don't have a rural background or recent experience, remove Commonwealth in Pa. I assume you're a MA resident. You might add UVermont since you're OK with Buffalo.

Thanks! I'll add UVT, they're more OOS friendly that I thought. I'm actually a NY resident, no rural background. You're right that I don't have nonmedical community service. Do you think this would really hurt me? I have personal reasons for wanting to go into primary care (specifically peds), and I've only been able to demonstrate it through shadowing 2 pediatricians. I'll definitely be talking about it in my personal statement.

Very good list! Suggest deleting U MA, replace with VCU, Va Tech, Wake Forest and/or U VT. GWU and G-town get so many apps that they're statistically harder to get into than Harvard, so suggest deleting those.

Thanks! I didn't know UMass heavily preferred in-state. I got rid of GWU and G-town and added VCU.

1) You're right that I don't have nonmedical community service. Do you think this would really hurt me?

2) I have personal reasons for wanting to go into primary care (specifically peds), and I've only been able to demonstrate it through shadowing 2 pediatricians.
1) Primarily at schools where it relates to their specific mission. Of course, having some makes you more appealing to everyone, but in your case, having so many clinical volunteering hours will be enough for general purposes.

2) Pediatrics is a primary care field, so you should be good to go.

1) Primarily at schools where it relates to their specific mission. Of course, having some makes you more appealing to everyone, but in your case, having so many clinical volunteering hours will be enough for general purposes.

2) Pediatrics is a primary care field, so you should be good to go.
Thanks, I was hoping to get feedback such as your's, on schools where they look for a particular type of student.

Thanks, I was hoping to get feedback such as your's, on schools where they look for a particular type of student.
You might like to follow the development of a proposed Engineering-focused new medical school in downstate Illinois: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-u-of-i-medical-school-met-1104-20141103-story.html Unfortunately it's not slated to open until 2017 if it gets approved, but I've posted the information for other Engineering majors like yourself who might read through this thread, with the thought in mind that new med schools often offer tuition roll-backs for the first entering class.

You might like to follow the development of a proposed Engineering-focused new medical school in downstate Illinois: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-u-of-i-medical-school-met-1104-20141103-story.html Unfortunately it's not slated to open until 2017 if it gets approved, but I've posted the information for other Engineering majors like yourself who might read through this thread, with the thought in mind that new med schools often offer tuition roll-backs for the first entering class.
I can't read that article unless I sign up to be a digital member, but that is very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Hmmm. I'm not a digital member, either but here it is:

November 3, 2014 A new medical school at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign would rely on an initial investment of more than $235 million from donors and a partnering health system, according to details released Monday.

A new medical school at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign would rely on an initial investment of more than $235 million from donors and a partnering health system, according to details released Monday.

Campus officials have been laying the groundwork for establishing a new and independent college of medicine, an idea that has been met with opposition from counterparts at the U. of I.'s sister campus in Chicago, home of the university system's medical education.

Urbana-Champaign campus Chancellor Phyllis Wise, who has been pushing for the new medical school, for the first time Monday provided a picture of the college's projected budget and business plan, including information about expected startup costs, tuition figures and faculty hiring needs. She said the school would not require new state funding.

"We are certain that our vision is feasible, that our goals are achievable," Wise told a U. of I. board committee ahead of the full board of trustees meeting next week. "What we have is a detailed plan that demonstrates financial stability of this college."

Board members did not endorse the proposal — or a competing plan from UIC — and instead decided to forward to the full board a resolution directing university President Robert Easter to vet options and make a recommendation by March. The board is expected to vote on that resolution next week.
"There are some very real questions about what is the best way forward," Easter said.

The new medical school would focus on engineering and technology, drawing on the university's strengths with the goal of graduating physician-scientists who could work in clinical practice but also be positioned to create new medical equipment and innovations.

It would be developed in partnership with Carle, the largest health system in the region, which would commit $100 million during the first 10 years and $1.5 million more annually. The college would be separately accredited from the existing UIC medical school and would be jointly governed by the university and Carle, according to the plan.

In addition to the commitment from Carle, the plan calls for about $135 million from donors during the first eight years and revenue from the clinical faculty's medical practice.
Startup costs for 2015 through 2018 are estimated at $37.4 million, including funding for faculty salaries and $18 million to renovate existing facilities, while revenue is projected at about $44.8 million during the same time.

Tuition is estimated at $45,000 a year for in-state students and $60,000 for nonresidents.

The first class of 25 students would start in 2017, and would eventually grow to 50 new students a year and 75 faculty and staff members. Wise has said that without its own medical school, the Urbana-Champaign campus is at risk of falling behind its peers competing for grants or attracting and retaining researchers.

UIC officials have opposed a new medical school, and have countered with their own plan, named "Better Together."

The U. of I.'s existing College of Medicine is the largest public medical school in the country, with about 1,350 students at four regional sites throughout the state, including in Urbana.

UIC officials say the university system should focus instead on working together to boost the existing college. The UIC proposal has four recommendations, including reinventing the curriculum to better integrate engineering and technology and developing a new bioengineering institute to attract top faculty and federal funding.

According to a business plan shared Monday, the UIC proposal would have startup costs of about $17.2 million, plus about $51.7 million over five years for the bioengineering institute.

Dimitri Azar, UIC's dean of the College of Medicine, focused on the common goals of both campuses.

"The basis of our proposal is collaboration," Azar said.

[email protected]

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Goro, I've narrowed my list down to 20 schools. Do you think that's enough given my lower GPA and my subpar first MCAT score?