Looking for full time employment? Consider IHS!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
Removed
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 user
Not sure if it's still currently accurate for this year's ascension goals, but the Navy Reserve has Pharmacist listed as one of their critical shortage fields on their website. A nice option that lets you keep looking for a steady job and put a small amount in your pocket, pay down student loans, etc...

http://www.navyreserve.com/careers/healthcare/clinical-care.html

Members don't see this ad :)
I was always under the impression that navy jobs were almost impossible to get. I know in my graduating class a few years back more than 20 people applied while in school and only 2 were accepted.

I was always under the impression that navy jobs were almost impossible to get. I know in my graduating class a few years back more than 20 people applied while in school and only 2 were accepted.

Military positions are cyclical. They allow attrition to create shortages, then pump up recruiting like madmen when the shortage becomes critical. There's not an ounce of preventative measure in place, because all the funding for "defense" really goes to government contractors until there's a crisis shortage.

It also depends on whether or not they are currently downsizing. There has been a period of downsizing for a few years now, in addition to another ordered period of downsizing commencing this year. Due to this, and the rather lax recruiting goals it creates, there are bound to be shortages in specific fields along the way.

The military also has a habit of booting officers and enlisted out during a downsizing and replacing them with new, lower paid individuals. Due to the pyramid nature of the command structure, a specific number of people under the leadership of each rank, etc.... you run into a situation where you may have too many of X specialty that are captains, majors, etc.... but still not have enough of said specialty in the grunt ranks doing the work. Hence why they can be giving pink slips to an officer, but still be in a "crisis shortage" in said officer's field.

It's *military intelligence* at it's finest.

It never hurts to try!

They still have a loan forgiveness program? Nice! VA's EDRP is currently being phased out as pharmacists aren't in demand anymore, making it very disadvantageous to switch jobs now, ugh.

They still have a loan forgiveness program? Nice! VA's EDRP is currently being phased out as pharmacists aren't in demand anymore, making it very disadvantageous to switch jobs now, ugh.
Phased out in the next year or two? Or the next five years?

Phased out in the next year or two? Or the next five years?
I would think year or 2. Already it's only being offered in rural areas. I just applied for a job and thinking of applying for another one, but no EDRP for either. Both are in highly desirable cities with very high costs of living, and it's very hard for me to decide whether I would go for either of these. The plus is that I would get out of my current job, but the minus is that I would take a large pay cut.

^ how much of a pay cut if you don't mind

What is the starting salary at IHS?

I read somewhere that it was $180,000 + 5 weeks vacation a year. But that was last year's starting, not sure it that's still the current...........

I read somewhere that it was $180,000 + 5 weeks vacation a year. But that was last year's starting, not sure it that's still the current...........

And you also get to live there for free (supposedly that is a $20 k value)

And you also get to live there for free (supposedly that is a $20 k value)

You get a housing allowance on top of your regular pay to go towards rent/mortgage. It's not like you live in a barracks. It's worth exactly how much money they give you for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone I know recently started at IHS and it is about 100k short of that.

Someone I know recently started at IHS and it is about 100k short of that.

If your buddy should have negotiated harder on the salary.

http://www.ihs.gov/DHR/includes/the...ts/documents/paytables/PayTablePharmacist.pdf

Before locality pay (which can be up to a 35% boost,) most PharmD's with little experience could qualifty for the GS-11 pay. The problem is most people are stupid enough to let the federal government give them the lowest possible wage.

It's no 180k, but between locality, special pay table, and housing allowance that's a pretty nice chunk of change.

^ what step level would you start?

Where does it talk about there Student Loan Forgiveness program?

What is the starting salary at IHS?

Why not just look it up?

http://www.fedsdatacenter.com/federal-pay-rates/index.php?n=&l=&a=INDIAN+HEALTH+SERVICE&o=PHARMACIST

So in 2013, the highest paid pharmacist in IHS in the US was paid $131,399.

GS-11 all were paid less than $100k regardless of steps or locations. Depending on the steps and the location the pay ranged from $67-96k, with the average being ~$85k.

These numbers are in the ball park. I looked up couple of people I know in the VA, and they are about what they told me.

Last edited:
Remember we still have 9 years of saturation? So don't hesitate to do 3 years residency, the
Why not just look it up?

http://www.fedsdatacenter.com/federal-pay-rates/index.php?n=&l=&a=INDIAN+HEALTH+SERVICE&o=PHARMACIST

GS-11 all were paid less than $100k regardless of steps or locations. Depending on the steps and the location the pay ranged from $67-96k, with the average being ~$85k.

These numbers are in the ball park. I looked up couple of people I know in the VA, and they are about what they told me.
Plus 2 months of vacation a year and $35k student loan forgiveness, and a chance to become an officer with government tag in your car, and work in one of the most advance pharmacy practice place, and great for future career advancement with the FDA and DEA, DOJ, and so on. WOW, WHAT A DEAL! BUT THE LAST TIME I CHECK THEY DO NOT ACCEPT DOOM AND GLOOM PEOPLE. THE FIRST QUESTION IN YOUR INTERVIEW: ARE YOU THAT BMB ON SDN DOOM AND GLOOM? WE ARE SORRY WE DON'T TO WANT BRING NEGATIVE EMPLOYEES INTO OUR FORCE. IT IS LIKE BRINGING CANCER INTO OUR BODY.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Remember we still have 9 years of saturation? So don't hesitate to do 3 years residency, the

Plus 2 months of vacation a year and $35k student loan forgiveness, and a chance to become an officer with government tag in your car, and work in one of the most advance pharmacy practice place, and great for future career advancement with the FDA and DEA, DOJ, and so on. WOW, WHAT A DEAL! BUT THE LAST TIME I CHECK THEY DO NOT ACCEPT DOOM AND GLOOM PEOPLE. THE FIRST QUESTION IN YOUR INTERVIEW: ARE YOU THAT BMB ON SDN DOOM AND GLOOM? WE ARE SORRY WE DON'T TO WANT BRING NEGATIVE EMPLOYEES INTO OUR FORCE. IT IS LIKE BRINGING CANCER INTO OUR BODY.

No need to be all doom and gloom. BMB is often over the top, but so are his detractors. Let's be real.

I'm a centrist, dislike both overly pessimistic and embellished assessments. Working for the goverment has many perks. I myself was a.VA resident once and enjoyed the empowered pharmacy scope of practice. The benefits were good, not can't say the same for pay.

Why not just look it up?

Thank you for posting this.

I am shocked...absolutely shocked that 5minutes is not making 180 k a year.

Last edited:
Why didn't you write "1 day"?! LOL

Three questions:

Does anybody believe you are making $190 an hour working on an Indian reservation?

Why did you change your screen name and delete your posts?

Are you going to go to the movies by yourself this weekend?

Last edited:
Three questions:

Does anybody believe you are making $190 an hour working on an Indian reservation?

Why did you change your screen names and delete your posts?

Are you going to go to the movies by yourself this weekend?
Because I am prospering now in my career. A new name is needed LOL. I have not been in the movie for 1 year. And when did I say I make $190/hr with IHS?

There he goes again. He just deleted the pic of his "paycheck". Supposedly he is making $7610 for 40 hours of work. That is $190 an hour! The pic looks fake. The pay rate was deleted.

There he goes again. He just deleted the pic of his "paycheck". Supposedly he is making $7610 for 40 hours of work. That is $190 an hour! The pic looks fake. The pay rate was deleted.
Why would I leave my personal information on the internet for long? But just so you know and cure your doom and gloom. Pay rate is deleted and other personal information to protect my identity.

Get real...$190 an hour. That is almost 400 k a year.

The pic doesn't have any confidential info on it. It just had "40 hours" and then at the bottom, it had "$7610". Divide $7610 by 40 = hourly rate. It is not a big secret. There is no need to delete the rate from your pic unless you are trying to lie to us.

This guy is full of ****. Thank god you are nowhere near civilization.

Post the pic again! I want everyone to see!

Get real...$190 an hour. That is almost 400 k a year.

The pic doesn't have any confidential info on it. It just had "40 hours" and then at the bottom, it had "$7610". Divide $7610 by 40 = hourly rate. It is not a big secret. There is no need to delete the rate from your pic unless you are trying to lie to us.

Post the pic again! I want everyone to see!
In all of seriousness, it was the summary of my paycheck weekly. The picture can be by recognized by anyone who works with me. And of course I do not want anyone to see except doom and gloom BMB. You can think it is fake if you want too. I am not here to argue with your doom and gloom. I am here to bring back American Dream Hell Yea!

Get some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.